Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2015, 07:09 PM   #1
BlueknightWI

Holding tanks-not necessarily holding

We have used our Impact 311 for two trips now. The only real thing I've found so far, is the black and/or gray water tanks seem to leak fluid into the dump lines while being used. Each time I've gone to open the pipe to hook the drain hose to it, I get grey water (hopefully-not black) come flushing out. Like two gallons worth. Needless to say, this isn't making me happy. Has anyone had this happen, and if so how can I adjust this so the valves close completely?
BlueknightWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:40 PM   #2
roadglide

I would put water in both gray water tanks and take it to the dealer and tell them to open the cap and find what valve needs replaced or adjust the cable.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:33 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

By all means, the dealership should repair your leaking valve. You may have some toilet paper, etc caught in the black tank valve (if it is leaking) or even a defective or damaged seal on a valve. There should be no water/waste leaking when you remove your end cap to connect a hose.

If the dealer can't get you in for repair soon, you can always buy a "twist on valve" to replace your end cap, then just install the cap on that valve. Then, when you remove the cap, there is a "terminal valve" that would stop any flow of waste until you have the hose installed.

Many of us use this type valve as a "last catch" for anything that could possibly find its way to the dump connection.

Here's one type: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...on-valve/27868

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:42 AM   #4
VAJeff

Have this on a brand new unit. When i de-winterized it for the first time I took the opportunity to determine what drained to what tank in the RV, and to confirm what lever dumped what tank.

When doing this test, I had this issue. Discovered it when I opened the cap, and a bunch of pink stuff dumped out...

So, after I did the test of which tank is what (gets from the trailer and drain valve), I put a few gallons in each tank one at a time and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes each. This narrowed it down to being my Gray tank... Dealer is hopefully pulling the bottom off today to check and most likely replace the gate valve...
VAJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:12 AM   #5
sptddog

I have this on my fusion 342, though it's not generally 2 gallons, and it's always gray water. I presume that it's my secondary grey tank. My dealer said the valves were fine - that it's the water that still lays in the long run of pipes from the gray tank to the empty. That when the trailer is level and emptied, that some water always lays in the pipes (or maybe I don't wait long enough for it to fully drain). I've explored two options...one is the type of end cap that has a hose attachment - where I can put an old piece of garden hose on it, put it over the sewer and let it fully train before removing the endcap. The other is what I generally do - I put a bucket under it before I remove the end cap - water drains in bucket, I dump bucket in sewer drain. It's annoying, but as long as it's not black water, I can live with it.
sptddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:16 PM   #6
gtsum2

I get a little come out when I open my drain cap as well. Appears to be grey water. Maybe a cup or two worth. Certainly not gallons
Old 05-20-2015, 08:08 AM   #7
BlueknightWI

Thanks for all the replies. It clearly isn't toilet paper in the valve, because this happened the first time I removed the cap-before we used the unit. They're checking into what I can do, because they are like 150 miles away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
By all means, the dealership should repair your leaking valve. You may have some toilet paper, etc caught in the black tank valve (if it is leaking) or even a defective or damaged seal on a valve. There should be no water/waste leaking when you remove your end cap to connect a hose.

If the dealer can't get you in for repair soon, you can always buy a "twist on valve" to replace your end cap, then just install the cap on that valve. Then, when you remove the cap, there is a "terminal valve" that would stop any flow of waste until you have the hose installed.

Many of us use this type valve as a "last catch" for anything that could possibly find its way to the dump connection.

Here's one type: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...on-valve/27868
Old 05-20-2015, 08:45 PM   #8
Cnc_hemi

Some times the factory will leave debris in the tank from drilling or dropping junk down the drains. Some times it's no more that a piece of plastic that isn't letting it seal. Or a broken seal from the trash. On the TH I have now I had some trash come out of the drain on a gray water Drip line I had set up. It plugged up the 1" line I had hooked to it. But I do see some peps install a valve made with clear plastic at the connection. This helps to see if ya have gotten all ya black water out too. Hope ya get it fixed soon

LSU TIGER FAN
2013 FUZION 310
2012 GMC 2500 HD SIERRA DURAMAX 6.6L
Cnc_hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:27 PM   #9
PerryB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnc_hemi View Post
Some times the factory will leave debris in the tank from drilling or dropping junk down the drains. Some times it's no more that a piece of plastic that isn't letting it seal. Or a broken seal from the trash. On the TH I have now I had some trash come out of the drain on a gray water Drip line I had set up. It plugged up the 1" line I had hooked to it. But I do see some peps install a valve made with clear plastic at the connection. This helps to see if ya have gotten all ya black water out too. Hope ya get it fixed soon

LSU TIGER FAN
2013 FUZION 310
2012 GMC 2500 HD SIERRA DURAMAX 6.6L
I've had the problem with my last two trailers and both times it was debris from cutting the various holes in the tanks and/or globs of hardened glue that was not allowing the valve to close. Both times I had the good fortune of it being the black tank and both times I got a lazy dealer who song n' danced me about residual liquid/normal or some BS to that effect. As usual I fixed it myself.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:04 AM   #10
dave-g

I would fill tanks with fresh water and cycle valves a few times. They also make an sewer cap with a garden hose connection- this can be used to run water backwards.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:14 PM   #11
Canam

This happened on my Fuzion 310 when it was brand new. It was the black tank, but luckily I had put water in it to test it as I forgot it on my delivery check.

I phoned the local dealer for warranty, but since we didn't purchase it from them they weren't interested....bla, bla, ,bla.......

So I opened up the belly and did it myself. (It wasn't that bad) I found 3 things:
1. As others have posted, there was a lot of debris from assembly. Shavings and plastic cutouts were everywhere.
2. The rubber gasket on the valve slide assembly was not seated in its track, and prevented the slide from fully closing
3. The holder that seats the remote cable end to the valve unit was not properly assembled. This allowed slack in the cable and would not move the valve slide a full range of motion.

If you are going to do this on an already used tank, I would drain the tank as much as you can with valve end downhill. Then when you split the valve assembly, park the trailer with valves uphill. This should keep the nasty water at the other end of the tank.
Canam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:52 AM   #12
BlueknightWI

I appreciate all the commentary guys. However, since this is brand new, the dealer can deal with the possible "crappy" job.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:03 AM   #13
Rdowns

My 2015 371 Fuzion is at the dealer right now for multiple repairs right now. But one of them was the valves not holding. Im assuming it was the gray valve - due to the water being pretty clear..... but who knows! Service guy said it is common for the manufactures to leave the shavings from hole saws in the tanks, just like some of the previous posts. Sometimes bad O rings on the seats in the valve. Sometimes its just a bad valve. We shall see!
Rdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:00 PM   #14
BlueknightWI

Well,, I spoke to the dealer yesterday. This happened again on Sunday when leaving the campgrounds. When opening the cover-it was under a lot of pressure. Once open the entire volume that was in the dump tubes came rushing out. They want to have me bring it in and have them fix it. I guess I will, but they are at least a half tank of fuel away. They feel the seal on the valve is jammed up with debris. So, that's where we are on this. Other than that, we love this camper!
Old 06-10-2015, 10:47 AM   #15
BlueknightWI

https://goo.gl/photos/UCaEKZ5g6196AdGP6

This is what is happening. Taking it in tomorrow.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:00 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

YECHT !!! In the meantime, you might want to consider a Valterra Twist On Terminal 3" valve. It will replace your cap and provide you with a "CONTROLLED" ability to dump without contaminating the dump station (or wherever you remove the cap) with your poo.

Here's a picture of the Valterra Terminal valve. Many of us have one that we simply leave in place and install the cap on the outside of this valve. It's a second "insurance policy" against an unexpected "poo-name". I think it's $17 well invested and in your situation, especially without gloves, almost a "health consideration"...

http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-T...ra+waste+valve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VALTERRA TWIST ON VALVE.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	8774  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:27 AM   #17
BlueknightWI

I did have gloves on initially, but couldn't make the video record on my phone without taking it off. I did wash thoroughly afterwards.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:15 PM   #18
VAJeff

We got ours fixed, 2015 Fusion 371 (Gray Model). The dealer had one just like ours with the same problem too...

The cable going to the valve was not set at the correct length, so therefor would not shut the valve all the way!

Also did a shower re-install. From the factory, it was a little off level, and the door did not shut properly (it did shut, and water did not get out while using the shower). Dealer took pics and sent to Keystone, they approved the replacement. Door shuts real nice now.

Hand full of minor things, nothing that prevented the unit from being used or any inconvenience. Store our unit at the dealership, so the repair work is easy, they just pull it in the garage at their facility and do the work!

Hope yours get's fixed soon. More of an annoyance than anything else...
VAJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:34 AM   #19
BlueknightWI

All fixed up now. Thanks everyone.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:34 AM   #20
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueknightWI View Post
All fixed up now. Thanks everyone.
Glad you got "it" fixed but what was the problem????