Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2018, 07:43 AM   #1
tech740

Tank sensors

I have a question about tank sensors. I have a black tank flush and have been using it for a couple days about 4 tank fulls a day trying to get the black tank to not read 2/3. As it fills the full light comes on. I have ran about 8-10 tanks of water through it and it runs clear. My question is if a wire is off the sensor will it read that level only? Or do I need to just keep flushing and letting water sit to soften everything.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:48 AM   #2
Jeepshots

We use the GEO method. Dunno why it's call that, but it consists of a cup of Dawn dishwashing liquid, and a cup of Calgon water softener - found in the laundry section. Add about 5 gallons of water. If you put it in and are about to travel, we also add a bag of ice to scour around and help keep stuff clean. Can double it and fill the tank up with water and let it sit as well. Does a great job of breaking stuff up, and slicking down the innards of the tank.
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:01 AM   #3
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepshots View Post
We use the GEO method. Dunno why it's call that, but it consists of a cup of Dawn dishwashing liquid, and a cup of Calgon water softener - found in the laundry section. Add about 5 gallons of water. If you put it in and are about to travel, we also add a bag of ice to scour around and help keep stuff clean. Can double it and fill the tank up with water and let it sit as well. Does a great job of breaking stuff up, and slicking down the innards of the tank.

Is this every tank? I have heard of this but wasn’t able to find Calgon before. I may have to look again.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:22 AM   #4
nied

From somewhere on this site, a half cup of Cascade liquid dish washing detergent and four gallons of water just before leaving for your next trip. Drain when you get to the dump station. Has worked for me every time.
nied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:28 AM   #5
travelin texans

One word describes these sensors, WORTHLESS!
DO NOT count on them to be anywhere near accurate!
I know 1 or 2 owners have had good luck with theirs being totally accurate & work every tank full, but I've never been one of them with 6-8 different rvs in 40 years.
I use the Geo method, have tried sensor cleaners, rinsing/flushing with hot water, wasted countless bags of ice & tried all types of magic elixirs & they might work one tank full.
So good luck!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:40 AM   #6
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
Is this every tank? I have heard of this but wasn’t able to find Calgon before. I may have to look again.
Just about any detergent will work, same with the water softener. We use an inexpensive powdered detergent and Calgon or Borax water softener whatever we can find. Same recipe, 1 cup (after, not before) each time we dump with a gallon or two of water.

The ice "scrub" was kind of disproven by James at Fit RV, .
This guy is a real rocket scientist... Really!

Finally, here is a good site for info on tank sensors. https://www.guaranty.com/blog/rv-tank-sensors.
I agree with most of what they say including the use of "Happy Camper" as a black tank additive. I've just always used the GEO method but our kids use Happy Camper in their RV and they swear by it. But again, I wouldn't waste time using the ice scrub.
In the end they recommend a product called "Tank Techs Rx" as a proven fix for stubborn, dirty sensors short of having them replaced.

Hope this helps, Good Luck!
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:12 AM   #7
Jeepshots

I don't know that i agree with his findings. He only used ice - no additional water, no additives such as the dawn/Calgon mix or anything else. And his tank was small and rectangular, more boxy than our black tanks that are more flat. Regardless, using ice is up to you. We don't use it all the time. I don't know for sure it's effectiveness, since I sometimes add it, sometimes don't, and we don't dump the solution until the next trip. So it gets to sit and stew on anything it needs to. When we get to the next campsite, I hook up, dump what we had, flush and refresh. Then we're nice and clean for the duration of the camp. Before leaving, dump/flush a few times, then re-do the dawn/Calgon mix for the ride home.
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:25 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Tank sensors, quick lesson:

There are 4 sensors installed in the tank at the factory. The bottom sensor is ground and connected to the frame.

Next is the “resistor pack” that has 4 wires. One is the “signal” wire that goes to the panel. The other 3 are connected to the sensors in the tank, and are color coded. As the liquid rises, the sensor “grounds” and depending on which sensor is covered in liquid the resistance changes and that’s how the panel “interprets” the signal. The resistance lessens as more sensors are “grounded”. That’s the short explanation.

Anybody that says the sensors are useless isn’t keeping them clean. Mine work, every RV I work on has sensors that work before I send it home with the customer. 99% of the time it’s poor maintenance, I’ve replaced a faulty sensor maybe 3 times in my career.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:57 AM   #9
Dave W

A tank sensor is a very small metal button, ~1/4" in diameter and ~1/8" tall. It is mounted in a rubber grommet and 'squeezed' into the tank by tightening a not. Add another ~1/8" of grommet inside of the tank and you have ~1/4" for paper and waste to hang off of it, possibly draping down to the next sensor. This in turn creates that false reading, Your flusher as it is installed in the tank may not be facing that line up of sensors in the side of the tank. Our on board flusher wont clean the sensors on our tank either. I made up a flusher to shove down the toilet using an old hose cut to a 10 foot and a lawn sprinkler head clamped on the tank end. I've tried about all the available spray angles with probably the 180 the best. It works well. I also have a Camco (and a Thetford) back flusher on the sewer outlet. Run for 3-5 minutes then I drain. Amazing how much, ahem, crap comes out using either method. I also use a secondary gate valve.

Then if you have deep financial pockets, a SeeLvel system work beat and give you an actual percentage of how full each tank is at any time. With that said, they are a PITA to install in most towed RVs : https://www.garnetinstruments.com/rv-shop/
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:47 AM   #10
travelin texans

[QUOTE=chuckster57;299949
Anybody that says the sensors are useless isn’t keeping them clean. Mine work, every RV I work on has sensors that work before I send it home with the customer. 99% of the time it’s poor maintenance, I’ve replaced a faulty sensor maybe 3 times in my career.[/QUOTE]

We've had this discussion before & will just have to agree to disagree!
But if you read my previous post you'd see I've done every cleaning process ever recommended, short of crawling in there with a brush/bucket & scrubbing/polishing each & every sensor individually, nothing works including the WORTHLESS sensors.
To be honest though in the last few years I don't know if they work or not, I haven't bothered to even look at them cause I know what they will be reading, the same as they have for the past 5 years regardless of what's actually in the tanks, 1/3 grey 1, 2/3 grey 2 & 2/3 black.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #11
BSHGTO

it`s the only way

Had trouble like most people, installed the SeeLevel brand external tank sensors and never looked back. Easy install who ever said they are a pain to install obviously doesn't understand the instructions, yep they work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seelevel_wiring.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	17792  
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:12 PM   #12
fjr vfr

The SeeLevel is the best. On my last trailer I installed these;

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer/Va...SABEgJuFvD_BwE
They worked pretty good and were easy to install and cost effective...I'm cheap. lol
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank