Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2019, 09:25 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Some of the newer "stationary, 360 degree" antennas are just plain JUNK.

Some of the newer "stationary, 360 degree" antennas have an excellent capability to electronically enhance reception and, IF THERE IS RECEPTION, they are just as good as the older Winegard "crankup" antenna systems. In some cases, maybe even better.......

That said, ALL (did I say EVERY ONE) of them, that is mounted on a "short, permanent standoff" is PHYSICALLY limited if mounted on an RV roof.

TV reception is dismal (if even capable) when there is an air conditioner or an RV roof between the antenna and the broadcast tower. Many (maybe even most) "short stalk, permanent mount" antennas are in the shadow of either the air conditioner or mounted "low on the sloped roof" of fifth wheels. When the RV is parked and oriented so that "something on the roof" blocks the line of sight to the broadcast tower, the only way the antenna can receive that signal is from an echo (if you're lucky) of the signal as it bounces off something nearby. That signal is going to be weak and distorted, so even the best "permanent mount antenna" is going to not work well....

That's where the "crank up antenna" is clearly a better option. You can get it "up above the A/C and the roof slope" and actually "see the broadcast tower" without interference.....

In many situations, the convenience of a "permanent mount antenna" is as good as a "crank up antenna" and with improved electronic processing, can give a clearer, stronger signal. BUT..... when mounted close to the roof, behind the A/C or lower than the motorhome parked in the next campsite, then you're fighting an uphill battle to get any reception....

It's not the antenna's limitations, it's the "location's limitations"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:58 PM   #22
Chi-town

I have a 2018 Sprinter mid bunk 40ft long and somehow my antenna came off. I can't remember what the existing antenna looks like. Sprinter no longer sell the original head or antenna, and now I have to put a new antenna and new base on. Ebay nor Amazon have a replacement. I would hate to remove the base just to put another base and antenna on it. If anyone knows please respond. Thanks![ATTACH]22935[/ATTACH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190712_153811 (2).jpg
Views:	113
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	22935  
Chi-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:08 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
I have a 2018 Sprinter mid bunk 40ft long and somehow my antenna came off. I can't remember what the existing antenna looks like. Sprinter no longer sell the original head or antenna, and now I have to put a new antenna and new base on. Ebay nor Amazon have a replacement. I would hate to remove the base just to put another base and antenna on it. If anyone knows please respond. Thanks!
A photo of the base (or what's left on the roof) would be helpful for identifying what's there. Keystone may have changed the brand or model halfway through a production run, so your antenna may not be the same as the trailer that came off the line before yours or even the one that was built after yours.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:22 PM   #24
wobly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
I have a 2018 Sprinter mid bunk 40ft long and somehow my antenna came off. I can't remember what the existing antenna looks like. Sprinter no longer sell the original head or antenna, and now I have to put a new antenna and new base on. Ebay nor Amazon have a replacement. I would hate to remove the base just to put another base and antenna on it. If anyone knows please respond. Thanks!
I would see this as an opportunity to install a better antenna than what was originally installed.

Here is an option... https://furrion.com/collections/ante...ooftop-antenna
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:35 AM   #25
NotyetMHCowner

I could not possibly agree with you more, JRTJH. I think they came up with the little short junky antennas to help people not forget to lower them and such, but "line of sight" is everything when dealing with antennas.
1998 Coleman Grandview pop-up with slide

Trucks:
2006 Ford F350 CC, SB, DRW, 4x4
1992 Ford F150 SC, SB, 4x4
NotyetMHCowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:11 AM   #26
RWRiley

I have an antenna hooked to the TV in my house as backup for when the cable goes out. It's indoors, right next to my TV, not near a window, surrounded by a bunch of other electronic components , and it gets more channels than my KeyTV parked in the street in front of my house.

I have one on order for the TT ($25), we'll see how well it works.
RWRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:25 AM   #27
RWRiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWRiley View Post
I have an antenna hooked to the TV in my house as backup for when the cable goes out. It's indoors, right next to my TV, not near a window, surrounded by a bunch of other electronic components , and it gets more channels than my KeyTV parked in the street in front of my house.

I have one on order for the TT ($25), we'll see how well it works.
The above antenna got backordered, so I cancelled it.

But, I still did a little comparison. The KeyTV gets 7 channels when parked in front of my house. I took my $10 RCA non-amplified antenna and put it in a little cubby hole behind the TV completely out of site, and I got 21 channels - all watchable.

I'm not sure how an el-cheapo antenna buried behind my TV with no amplifier can outperform a roof mounted amplified antenna - but it does.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:40 PM   #28
Whitewolf

Ebermank-

I have the batwing with the Wingman installed. Wingman seemed to help quite a bit. I also installed this. https://winegard.com/products/accessories/signal-meters and that seems to help some more.

Rich1945-

I have 3 inputs for cable and none are marked. Why 3? Haven't the foggiest idea. Anyway, once I found the correct input, I always use that one. One thing I discovered is I have to go the TV and go to settings and tell the TV where the signal is coming from. Antenna, Cable or Cable Box, depending on where we are and what they have. Have you tried this?

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:09 PM   #29
RWRiley

So - we headed out to a campground 10 miles south of where I did my little comparison, and when I scanned with the KeyTV it got 24 channels compared to 14 for my old antenna. 10 mins later I couldn't get any reception, so I scanned again and got 0 channels. So I switched to my old un-amplified antenna and could still get and watch 14 channels. I just don't get it. Does KeyTV quit working after dark ?

Tags
antenna