Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2015, 05:48 AM   #1
tommy_z

Tank Sensors Swapped?

So after the maiden voyage with my 2016 Passport 2920BH, I suspect my blank and grey tank sensors are swapped. Here's why.

The bathtub backfilled a little, indicating the grey tank was definitely full although the sensor read 2/3. At the same time the black sensor read Full. Knowing these are notoriously inaccurate, I wasn't sure what to think.

When I dumped, I did the black tank first and then a flush. The black tank sensor still read Full! Next I dumped the grey tank and after it was empty, the black tank sensor read Empty.

Re-testing at home, I ran some water into the kitchen sink and the black tank sensor changed from Empty to 1/3.

What do you think?

Otherwise everything worked great. And I'm happy to say my very first experience with dumping went without incident.
tommy_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:11 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Any moisture in the tanks can make the sensors "read". Only way to know for sure which tank is hooked to which set of lights on the panel is to fill one tank at a time and check the panel often.

"stuff" in the black tank can hang up on the sensors and wick moisture causing false readings. Many members have complained about how lousy the sensors are and learned to ignore them.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:19 AM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_z View Post
So after the maiden voyage with my 2016 Passport 2920BH, I suspect my blank and grey tank sensors are swapped. Here's why.

The bathtub backfilled a little, indicating the grey tank was definitely full although the sensor read 2/3. At the same time the black sensor read Full. Knowing these are notoriously inaccurate, I wasn't sure what to think.

When I dumped, I did the black tank first and then a flush. The black tank sensor still read Full! Next I dumped the grey tank and after it was empty, the black tank sensor read Empty.

Re-testing at home, I ran some water into the kitchen sink and the black tank sensor changed from Empty to 1/3.

What do you think?

Otherwise everything worked great. And I'm happy to say my very first experience with dumping went without incident.
You're not the first to report this problem! There's lot's of previous threads discussing the same symptom, so before you start swapping around wires here and there, let's first verify that when you pulled the black tank dump handle, you got black water flowing out. I've heard of a lot more incorrectly labeled pull handles than incorrect wiring. A lot of us use a clear straight or 45 degree adapter at the trailer end sewer connection. That way, we can see when the tank flush is actually yielding a clean tank. And we know we pulled the right handle. So, black tank handle/black water?

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:24 AM   #4
tommy_z

chuckster, steve, thank you both.

Excellent point of clarification: my hose does have a semi-clear elbow that I can see color through at the drain end. When I pulled the black handle I definitely got brown fluid which cleared when doing the flush. The grey handle was clear fluid only. So I do think the handles are labeled correctly.

At home, I saw the black sensor change from empty to 1/3 as I put fresh water down the kitchen sink. I thought this confirmed my suspicion.

Being under warranty, I don't intend to do anything to fix it. But I did want some confidence in the issue before dragging it into the dealer.
tommy_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:40 AM   #5
therink

It is an easy fix and in my opinion not worth the hassle for a warranty visit to the dealer: I would unscrew and remove the sensor gauge/control panel from the interior wall (mine is attached with 4 screws). Be careful when doing this as there is likley a spaghetti nest of wires tucked inside the wall. I would then simply swap the sensor wires on the backside of the control panel. That is all the dealer would do.
I did this with my slide out controls as they were backward when my rig was new. Was an easy fix.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote