Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #21
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by diugo View Post
Any idea why the Never Fail universal tandem upgrade kit comes with such ridiculously long shackle plates? My shackles are already long at 3.125" and these are at least an inch longer. And why the funny shape?

Measure center of hole to center of hole on the OEM, I'll bet it's either 4.096 or 5 1/4"
Old 10-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #22
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Measure center of hole to center of hole on the OEM, I'll bet it's either 4.096 or 5 1/4"
You lose the bet, as I said mine are just 3-1/8. According to eTrailer, "There are only three sizes of shackle straps: 2-1/4 inch, 2-5/8 inch, and 3-1/8 inch", so these extra long banana shackles are driving me bananas.

BTW, it's not 4.096, it's 4-1/8"---there's an hypotenuse hiding in there
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #23
Bluewater

Are those made out of some sort of harder steel or made of the same as original? I think my failure was in part due to a very low grade steel used in the shackles. Just amazes me that for another $3 they could easily be made of a superior steel. Greed...the American business way I suppose.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:18 AM   #24
Javi

Quote:
You lose the bet, as I said mine are just 3-1/8. According to eTrailer, "There are only three sizes of shackle straps: 2-1/4 inch, 2-5/8 inch, and 3-1/8 inch", so these extra long banana shackles are driving me bananas.

BTW, it's not 4.096, it's 4-1/8"---there's an hypotenuse hiding in there
Yeah, there's one hiding in the other hole also. But as dimensioned in the drawing it is as I stated. I'm used to measuring as drafted, then again I use a CMM...

I don't think I would have dimensioned it exactly as they did but if it works for them...

BTW, I design, draft and program stuff like this for a living...
Old 10-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #25
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Yeah, there's one hiding in the other hole also. But as dimensioned in the drawing it is as I stated.
Nope, a straight edge reveals that the outer hole has no y-component and thus no hypotenuse. That's not the case with the first hole.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:33 AM   #26
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater View Post
Are those made out of some sort of harder steel or made of the same as original? I think my failure was in part due to a very low grade steel used in the shackles. Just amazes me that for another $3 they could easily be made of a superior steel. Greed...the American business way I suppose.
You bring up an excellent point. Since the Never Fail shackles are way too long anyway, I am now seriously considering getting the $97 Mor/ryde kit plus 14 Never Fail bushings for $50, replacing the thin 3-1/8" OEM shackles with the heavy-duty Mor/ryde ones and installing the included wet bolts "dry" inside the Never Fail bushings.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #27
Bluewater

I'd think any good metal shop could easily make a whole set of them out of much harder steel for a reasonable price. If I'd have known this that is what I would have done then they would last forever.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #28
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater View Post
I'd think any good metal shop could easily make a whole set of them out of much harder steel for a reasonable price. If I'd have known this that is what I would have done then they would last forever.
You don't want the steel too hard. Specifically, the link must be softer than the bolt material. Otherwise the gripping teeth on the bolt shoulder could not sink into the link to prevent the bolt from spinning.

I am also looking into a better price angle, as the problem with the $97 Mor/ryde kit is that you're needlessly paying for wet bolts and brass bushings. But I am having a really hard time finding the 1/2"-thick links available a la carte. Whereas standard 1/4" thick links and dry bolts can be easily gotten for just $1-3 each.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #29
diugo
Permanent User Ban

It suddenly occurred to me that I can easily get 1/2"-thick heavy-duty shackle links for the price of typical 1/4" ones. How? By simply reusing my existing 1/4" links and adding a new 1/4" link to each side! Four links per shackle, using new 3-1/2" dry bolts and lock nuts.

So it is now looking like I can piece together my own HD shackle/bolt kit for around $38 delivered. Adding the 14 Never Fail bushings from Tweety's for $51, and I have a complete solution for under $90.

Now I just have to figure out how to safely get the trailer off all four wheels, here in the middle of the desert...
Old 10-18-2013, 03:12 AM   #30
Javi

Quote:
Nope, a straight edge reveals that the outer hole has no y-component and thus no hypotenuse. That's not the case with the first hole.
Yep, I didn't take the time to use a straight edge and was seeing it on the monitor it looked offset as well but after drafting it I now see that it isn't.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trail.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	4365  
Old 10-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #31
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Yep, I didn't take the time to use a straight edge and was seeing it on the monitor it looked offset as well but after drafting it I now see that it isn't.
Nice drawing!
Old 10-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #32
Javi

Quote:
Nice drawing!
Thanks, I can throw it on the Laser and cut a couple of hundred if you want..
Old 10-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #33
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Thanks, I can throw it on the Laser and cut a couple of hundred if you want..
Just need 8 copies---reduced to 75% and printed on the 3D printer. Preferably in galvanized steel
Old 08-04-2015, 01:58 PM   #34
Bluewater

Update on the NEVER FAIL bushings.

Well, as many have guessed the NeverFail bushings have failed. I guess I'm still learning things the hard way. I had the suspension shop replace the whole mess with the Dexter E-Z Flex kit with the bronze bushings, 1/2" thick shackles and shackle bolts I can grease. I thought while they were at it best to replace the brakes also. I bought the whole backing plates loaded with everything new
from Etrailer for just $55 each and free shipping. last year was all new tires. I hope I can now take my mind off the the running gear and have more fun in the sun.