Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2017, 06:17 PM   #1
SummitPond

Roof/truss question

While leaning over the roof cleaning and filling cracks in the Dicor, I noticed a roof truss that seems to be sticking up a little above the roof's surface; I don't know whether the roof is depressed around the truss or the truss has extended up. I've included a picture below. This is the only location I see this occurring.

Has anyone seen this before and/or know what the cause is?

Should I be concerned?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5343 roof buckle.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	12324  

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:24 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Looks to me like a seam in the decking material. As long as it doesn't get any worse you should be okay. Keep an eye on it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:30 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Yup, just like chuckster said, it's the seam in the OSB roof decking. It's NOT the roof truss "poking through the decking"... Physically, what's under the TPO is an abutment where two sheets of OSB come together (over a roof truss). That OSB abutment is stapled to the truss and a piece of paper "seam tape" is applied over the edges to help smooth the joint. Then, when the TPO is applied, the entire surface of the OSB is "painted" with adhesive, the TPO is placed over it and then rolled in place to get better contact.

When towing your trailer, it twists and flexes. Sometimes the staples used to hold the OSB sheets to the trusses will twist and pull up, causing what you see in the picture you posted. I have a couple of OSB joints on top of my Cougar that have done the same, but not quite as noticeable as yours.

The "fix" is to cut or remove the TPO roofing, resecure the OSB to the truss and reinstall the TPO. That's a very costly process and usually not necessary.

As chuckster said, at this point, just watch it and be careful walking in that area. If you see any staples start to protrude through the TPO, if you see any surface damage to the TPO then it should be repaired. On the other hand, if it doesn't get any worse, it's probably better "left alone" rather than cutting the TPO to gain access or trying to remove and reinstall the TPO to fix something that may not get any worse.

Now, if you're still in warranty, you might talk your dealer into getting warranty authorization to fix it, but I'd almost bet that Keystone wouldn't approve a warranty claim for something that hasn't caused any TPO damage.

ADDED: Here is a picture of the roof decking with paper seam tape in place before the TPO was installed. This is what the OSB on the roof of your trailer looks like "under the TPO"....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ROOF DECKING.jpg
Views:	928
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	12327  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #4
SummitPond

John and Chuckster,

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

I will keep an eye on it.

FYI, I haven't yet crawled up on the roof - with all the posts about being careful, I just lean as far as I can. I do know that at some time someone has been walking around on the roof - there's a nice print of a sneaker in the Dicor around the antenna! Do the techs use plywood? And if so, why the footprint?

I hope to take a tour of the factory later this spring. We will be headed back east after a visit to Denver for a family function. While it's not exactly on the way, who knows when I'll get that close again.

General question: Why did the manufacturers move to rubber for the roofs? Was it strictly cost and weight? I don't ever recall my father having issues with the roofs of the various TTs we had while I was growing up (Shasta, Holiday Rambler). He can't recall what the roofs were made of (aluminum?) but he's certain it wasn't rubber.

2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
Old 04-17-2017, 10:48 AM   #5
dcg9381

If you're under warranty, I think I'd take it in and at least have it documented. I agree that Keystone is likely to claim "cosmetic" and exclude it, but the OSB shouldn't be doing that and if it causes future issues, you'll be able to show that it occurred in the warranty period.

Why did they move to rubber?
1) Versus aluminum, it's certainly cheaper.
2) Versus fiberglass, it's certainly cheaper.
3) It's flexible, relatively easy to repair, relatively easy to maintain, relatively easy to install...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:19 PM   #6
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
If you're under warranty, I think I'd take it in and at least have it documented.
Unfortunately not! Expired 16 months ago.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:35 AM   #7
Alanfray

Roof issues on my 2018 Coleman/Keystone 295QBS

Please take a look at this video in the link below. . I'm not having luck getting Keystone to fix my roof correctly. They only want to put vent caps over the areas where the screws are sticking up but state nothing is wrong where the joist/truss is sticking up. Am I wrong to think they should replace the roof? We bought it in July 2017 and it's been at Camping World since September. https://youtu.be/o-TO7IqIodI
Thanks
Alanfray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:41 PM   #8
goducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanfray View Post
Please take a look at this video in the link below. . I'm not having luck getting Keystone to fix my roof correctly. They only want to put vent caps over the areas where the screws are sticking up but state nothing is wrong where the joist/truss is sticking up. Am I wrong to think they should replace the roof? We bought it in July 2017 and it's been at Camping World since September. https://youtu.be/o-TO7IqIodI
Thanks
Did you get up on the roof before you bought it?
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:15 PM   #9
Alanfray

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Did you get up on the roof before you bought it?
I didn't and was not given the chance. I felt like cattle being pushed through. As in the video, I found the problems less than two months after purchasing it. Well within warranty.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:36 PM   #10
dcg9381

Keystone's policy on roofs (in my experience and working with other owners that had roof issues) is this:
If it doesn't leak, it's cosmetic and cosmetic isn't covered.

It's worth "documenting" with Keystone - IF you're under warranty. If outside of warranty and it's not leaking, I'm not sure there is a ton of value in doing anything...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:50 PM   #11
TheGriz

Alan, my assessment (and I respect the other's) is your video is NOT showing cosmetic flaws. You have fasteners poking through your roof membrane. Even more disturbing is it looks like the under sheathing is not properly affixed to the truss. Both of these issues obviously can cause more serious leak issues down the pike, if not leaking already.

I bought a Bullet Premier this past July, and after just one month had a soft spot in floor on side of bed I noticed in maiden voyage. I'll skip the gory details, but after a month long go-round, the dealer gave me full value back on TT. See my previous post:
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=30646

It is a royal PIA. You don't have to accept shotty workmanship on a brand new TT right off the lot!

Good luck and don't give up,
Mike

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:26 PM   #12
Alanfray

Thanks Mike and I don't plan on settling. I want my roof replaced definitely not patched. Their customer service was horrible to deal with.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:29 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanfray View Post
Thanks Mike and I don't plan on settling. I want my roof replaced definitely not patched. Their customer service was horrible to deal with.

Please, let the members know how this goes. I wish you luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:36 PM   #14
Alanfray

I will definitely post the outcome on here.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:24 PM   #15
Alanfray

Thanks. It is under warranty as I bought it in July this year. It's been in the shop longer than in my yard...not very happy with Keystone
Old 12-11-2017, 04:48 AM   #16
Tinner12002

Something else the OP might look into is that Trailer Life Mag has a RV Resolutions section where they will also contact Keystone or whomever and present the issues to them and ask why they're not fixing the problem. The good side to that is that they publish this in their mag so others can see whether they fix it or not. Basically its made public which most manufacturers don't want.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:38 AM   #17
Sherwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
Something else the OP might look into is that Trailer Life Mag has a RV Resolutions section where they will also contact Keystone or whomever and present the issues to them and ask why they're not fixing the problem. The good side to that is that they publish this in their mag so others can see whether they fix it or not. Basically its made public which most manufacturers don't want.
I was going to say the same thing. I don't know what their success rate is but I'll bet its pretty high. I cant imagine any company wanting that type of publicity. I've seen them help consumers get repairs, replacements and refunds on things you wouldn't normally think they would get. In this case, I think its a slam dunk. And it is one more thing to put on our PDI if it isnt already there.
Either way, keep applying pressure. I'm sure they're hoping we give up and accept it without a fight.

Eric & Kim Sherwood
2011 Cougar 31SQB Travel Trailer, EZ-Flex
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0L
Reese Straight Line Trunnion Bar w/Dual Cam Anti-Sway
Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:08 AM   #18
Alanfray

The service manager from camping world in Columbia SC contacted me and said he felt he could help. He said he didn't know what was going on with the service folks at CW in Charleston SC, He went and picked it up last Thursday and said he will try to get to looking into the problems and work with Keystone. He said he has had great success getting working with them in the past. Fingers are crossed that he is successful. If not, I have my attorney on speed dial because I too feel it's a slam dunk case and the video clearly shows manufacturer defects.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:19 PM   #19
Alanfray

UPDATE! Camping World Service Manager from Columbia SC contacted me and asked about going and picking my camper up from Camping World in Charleston. He said he thought he could help me. He went and picked it up got permission or should I say hours from Keystone to peel the roof and look at the problem. He is sent in pictures and Keystone still denied replacement of the roof under the warranty. After a week of back-and-forth between him and Keystone he contacted me and told me that he and his general manager decided they were going to go ahead and replace my roof and make my camper right. He said there’s no need for me to be going without my unit because of Keystone. He said he would fight the battle with Keystone after the work is complete. My faith in Camping World in Columbia South Carolina has been restored.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:03 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

That's great news !!! As the work progresses, keep us updated on how things go. It's great to know that CW is standing behind your trailer and doing the right thing for their customer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof