Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2023, 07:21 AM   #1
flugelboneman

Fridge catching fire

Just learned of RV fridge burst into flames while switching from electric to propane. RV burnt to ground. Apparently electric short ignited gas in line. Jayco product but no further details re my ake if fridge
flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 04:11 PM   #2
bobbecky

The fire was more likely caused by a leak in the cooling unit allowing ammonia to be ignited by the flame of the gas burner. https://www.arprv.com/norcold-fridge-problem.php
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 05:44 AM   #3
flugelboneman

I wish Ihad more info. The brief article stated there was a recall on this fridge but the owner never received one. If I get more will post.
Old 09-09-2023, 05:48 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

The recall was several years ago, what year was the trailer. Both Dometic and Norcold had modifications years ago. I’d like to know exactly what happened in this case.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 02:33 PM   #5
TXiceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
The fire was more likely caused by a leak in the cooling unit allowing ammonia to be ignited by the flame of the gas burner. https://www.arprv.com/norcold-fridge-problem.php
Ditto. I doubt that switching operating mode caused the fire.

Ken
Old 09-10-2023, 01:06 PM   #6
flugelboneman

Google Trent tominek north Battleford Sask u will get photos and story
Old 09-10-2023, 01:20 PM   #7
NH_Bulldog

The article I read specifically discussed the finding that the propane regulator failed (the Winntec #6020 recall many of us know about and dealt with). They said the gas regulator at the tanks failed and let high pressure gas into the system and when his fridge kicked in after disconnecting from shore power, the high pressure gas caused an explosion. It wasn’t a refrigerator issue. It could have happened at the stovetop or the water heater or outside kitchen just as easily except maybe with severe injuries or even death.

The owner verified that Jayco (Thor) had their correct information, but they claim they never received a recall notice. Whether true or not will come out eventually.

This should serve as a reminder to anyone who hasn’t already checked/replaced their regulator to look up theirs and verify it has been replaced or is outside the scope of the recall.

Here is the Jayco recall notice:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...1V425-3062.PDF

Here is the Keystone recall notice:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...1V708-8190.pdf
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge