Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2018, 04:52 PM   #1
fjr vfr

Rear View cameras

Has anyone used one of these? If so how well do they work? Also how good is the reception? I'm thinking of getting one.

Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/SVTCAM-Wirele...GJZSHBTH8S33K7

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Wate...+camera+iphone
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:01 PM   #2
Mikendebbie

Rear view camera

Furrion camera came with my Monte. I used it on a trip this summer and liked it. It does tend to loose signal at highway speeds for some reason. Not sure why. Lots of discussion threads on the Montana forum. Overall I am satisfied with the performance. This is the first rear view camera I have had so I can’t speak to other brands.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:48 AM   #3
notanlines

Camera threads are almost as contentious as tire threads. "It does tend to lose signal at highway speeds" renders your camera virtually useless other than backing into a camping space. A number of manufacturers offer a signal "booster" or "rebroadcaster" to be mounted at the front of the RV to help this along. If you are towing anything in the 36' or better the odds of you having great luck with your wireless camera are sketchy at best.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:45 AM   #4
kraftee

I have the Furrion rear view camera on my Outback 325CG TT (37' 4" long overall.) If your unit is pre-wired for the Furrion cameras, keep in mind that there are two very different plug n play systems available from Furrion. One of them, the FRC12TAPK-BL is meant to be used for back-up use only. It has low resolution - and this might be the unit people are referring to "losing signal" at highway speeds. The second system, FOS48TAPK-BL, is a true rear-view system. This is what I have on my unit. It works fantastic. A press of a button turns the guide lines on or off. So you can use it while backing up or on the highway. Fairly hi-res, mine is stellar, and only very occasionally it will "freeze" for maybe two seconds. The only real issue I have is that the way my trailer is wired, the camera is only powered when in reverse, or when the tow vehicle lights are on (I simply leave the parking lights on while driving.) I would not feel comfortable without this camera!
Old 10-02-2018, 05:57 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

I am sure the guy is asking about two specific cameras. He didn't say if he wanted to use the camera rear view or for just backing up. The camera that displays on a cell phone would obviously not be for rear view. In either case, a CHEAPO camera may work and may be intermittent and may die quickly. I have had three; almost all like the first one shown and the first worked for as long as I owned that trailer. The next was DOA on arrival and the replacement worked for a few weeks; flickered and breathed its last. When I get another, I will look at a bit more expensive set up and choose one that seems to be a tad more reliable rather than just cheap. Last, a wireless camera will be affected by interference from stuff while on the road and will flicker at times where a wired camera will work all the time regardless. Wired means more work for the install. Not sure which type trailer you have but install is a consideration. I chose wireless for that reason.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:02 AM   #6
Northofu1

IMO Wired is the way to go. Rear view Safety is an established company and honors warranties and parts if needed. It is IP69 rated. It is a little time consuming to wire it up, but solid. The only thing I found that sucked a little was monitor mounting. I refused to screw it to anything, the adhesive it came with is not good on dashboards you have used 303 on . I bought a Scosche (?sp.) windshield / magnetic mount for cheap works awesome. Good luck sifting through all the info you will find

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:09 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
IMO Wired is the way to go. Rear view Safety is an established company and honors warranties and parts if needed. It is IP69 rated. It is a little time consuming to wire it up, but solid. The only thing I found that sucked a little was monitor mounting. I refused to screw it to anything, the adhesive it came with is not good on dashboards you have used 303 on . I bought a Scosche (?sp.) windshield / magnetic mount for cheap works awesome. Good luck sifting through all the info you will find

OK, camera is on the rear of your trailer. What did you do with the wire that you pulled to the front? What do you do with the wire from the camera and how does it store when you are not trailered up? I was thinking about a wired system for my 5ver but not much talk about how it is actually executed cleanly...
Old 10-02-2018, 07:17 AM   #8
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
OK, camera is on the rear of your trailer. What did you do with the wire that you pulled to the front? What do you do with the wire from the camera and how does it store when you are not trailered up? I was thinking about a wired system for my 5ver but not much talk about how it is actually executed cleanly...
The picture in post #9 shows how I used a bulk head connector on my wiring connector bracket to keep the wiring clean on our TT & TV. The camera wire is attached to the TT's wire bundle.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=29158
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:27 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

Thanks for the link with photo!

You mentioned connection of 12V to the driving lights? The headlights on your TV? How did you do this? I understand relays; possibly wire from fuse or battery triggered by headlight? Then you ran it all the way to your camera or am I getting this wrong? The bulkhead connector with the RG6 seems simple enough; I have a 4 pin on my bumper that I could mount an RG6 bulkhead to and roll the 5ver RG6 up and store in my pin box when not needed.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:39 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

We bought an RVS wired "fifth wheel system" about 7 years ago. It's been mounted in 3 trucks and on 2 fifth wheels in that time and has been on our Cougar since 2013 when we bought the trailer. The current system is an "updated" system, much improved over our older one. We have a 7" color monitor that must be "attached somewhere" on the dash when in use. I put Velcro on the back of the monitor and the back of my rear view mirror and "hang" the monitor on the mirror when towing. I can't use the mirror anyway, the trailer is in the way.

If you look at the RVS kit at this link, you'll see a "coiled harness" that connects the trailer to the tow vehicle. The plugs are "aircraft grade Cannon plugs" and mine have worked flawlessly for 7 years. The coiled harness wraps around the trailer umbilical cord and becomes a part of hitching the trailer. There is no "extra cable" and no "hassle to store things". It essentially becomes a part of the trailer wiring harness and then is only "one extra plug" to connect when hitching or to disconnect when unhitching.

As for reliability, at 7 years old and with being installed on 3 different vehicles and 2 trailers, I think that's a vote of confidence for the way RVS builds their system. It all works as well today as it did the day I first installed it on our Springdale and F150.

When in use, I can glance at the monitor mounted where the truck rear view mirror is installed and immediately see the road behind the fifth wheel. Depending on where the camera is aimed, the road, anything on the bumper and/or anything towed behind the fifth wheel is easy to identify. Bright lights, dark nights, rapidly changing road surfaces (black tar strips on concrete paving, etc) don't "saturate the image". The monitor remains clear, easy to see and identify images.

If this sounds like an advertisement written by RVS, it's not, but if I were asked to write one, it would sound much like this description.

At $300 it's not cheap, but after 7 years, to be working like it did when new, that alone (for me) justifies buying a good system the first time as opposed to buying three $100 systems because they stop working and never really had a good image to begin with.

Take a look: https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...nnect-kit.html

ADDED: As for how the system is powered, it all connects under the dash to the tow vehicle 12 volt system and that connection (usually on an accessory/ignition operated source) powers the monitor and camera. Start the truck, the monitor comes on and the camera sends images, turn the truck off, the system powers down. Always on or add a switch if you don't want it powered. If you disconnect the coiled harness, the system "does not power up". So when not towing, nothing is working, hitch up and it's a seamless powered accessory.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:14 AM   #11
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I purchased this system.

https://www.costco.ca/Rear-View---Ba....10367294.html

I don't have a fiver I have a TT. I mounted camera on rear of TT just under lights, colour matched some self adhesive wire chase clear caulked it and ran it through 1/2" split loom as protection and ran it long propane line from BBQ connection to front of trailer. then ran it from rear of truck along drivers side chase to fuse panel. Tied in to panel and it comes out to the right side of steering column. I attached magnetic holder to windshield and back of monitor has two metal strips to house original mount and they hold perfectly to double strength magnet. I have no idea how to run it up a fiver.
JRTJH knows more than I.
I did have the pigtail malfunction on a recent road trip, not only did they send a new one, they sent all the wiring, for free.

Still happy with it.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:16 AM   #12
Northofu1

That link is Canadian, that's not US price.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:31 AM   #13
fjr vfr

Wow...a lot more info than I thought. It might take me some time to think it all over.
First is I have a 30 ft 5th wheel.

Second I was thinking of keeping the cost low. I may need to rethink that, which would mean next year's budget.
Lastly, I favor wireless. I'm old and tired of crawling all over and under vehicles, but who knows?

Thanks,
John
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:56 PM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Had a wireless on a previous trailer and security cameras would bust thru on the screen too frequently. Maybe it was a bad one, maybe bad brand. With this trailer I bought a hard wired unit from rvcams.com and love it. I to mounted it about 5' above the bumper and it's on when the truck is running.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:06 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Here are a few photos I took today when hitching up for a trip. As you can see, the RVS system becomes an integral part of the fifth wheel umbilical wiring and the monitor fits over the truck mirror with no issues. I have mine connected to the auxillary switches that are a part of the Ford optional equipment, but really, there's no need to even have it switched. If the monitor is not mounted on the mirror, it wouldn't be plugged in and if the trailer isn't plugged into the 7 way umbilical, the cannon plug wouldn't be attached either. Anyway, here's pictures of my system, The first one is the camera/coiled cable connection inside the pinbox, the second is the coiled cable, the third is the truck/trailer 7pin and RVS cannon plug and the last is the monitor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3407.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	18758   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3409.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	18759   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3411.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	446.4 KB
ID:	18760   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3414.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	18761  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:49 AM   #16
KimNTerry

I tried a cheapy wireless at first. False economy there.

I have an RVS system similar to John's setup.

Using 4 yrs now the only component I had an issue with was the umbilical from the trailer to the truck and that was replaced under warranty and that was fast friendly service from Rear View Safety.

My switcher can take up to three inputs.

I semi permanently mounted to the dash of my truck. (I can easily stow the whole thing in my center console if desired) Screwed to a scrap piece of wood to get the right height and weighed down with a sandbag.

Name:	2018-10-03 MonitorMount.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	18777

Power is provided from the 12 volt plug inside the center console.

I added a High mount center camera that looks into the bed of the truck, this makes hitching a cinch and I can switch the view to see if anything is blowing around in the bed when towing. Usually just observing the idiots travelling too close.

Name:	2018-10-03 HCMSC.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	18776

I usually leave the monitor on the dash and use the bed cam as an additional rear view.

Name:	2018-10-03 13.22.06.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	18775

I may add a front facing camera as parking in the garage and other tight spots can be an issue.

When driving the top of the monitor lines up with the hood so the monitor does not block my view of the road.

It was a similar install in my previous TV using the same components.
Instead of high center mount camera it was license plate mounted as that truck did not have an integrated camera like my new one does.

I like how John wrapped his umbilical around his trailer cable. I may do that to mine.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:42 AM   #17
bbells

I just use a gopro type camera and suction cup mount on the back of my trailer. The wifi connects to my phone and works great. I use the $29 camera at Menards.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:46 AM   #18
lindy46

I have a fairly inexpensive wired system with two cameras: one on the back of the TT and one on the back bumper of the truck which shows a view of the hitch ball. Makes hooking up real easy. Once trailer is connected, I switch wire to the camera on the back of the TT. I have a cigarette lighter plug for power.
lindy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:20 AM   #19
rshipyor

My cougar fifth wheel came premiered so we added a furious back up camera and it works great . No loss of signal while driving on highway and great to able to see backing up and going down highway what’s behind and on the sides.
rshipyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:32 AM   #20
LaTundra

My Garmin GPS is ready for 4 wireless backup cameras. I ordered one for the truck, but I set it up one the rear bumper of the camper just to see. Over 50 ft from truck cab, get great picture. Ordered a 2nd camera. One for the truck, wired to the backup light, one for the camper, wired to the running lights. Both work great!
1 very sweet Dear Wife
3 mean cats and a one-eyed dawg.

Previous campers/tow vehicles:
73 Apache Mesa hard side popup/74 Chevy Nova 350 cid 3sp m
96 Coleman Shenandoah popup/91 Toyota Extended cab 2.4l 5sp m
04 KZ Frontier 2101QSF/00 Toyota Tundra 4.7l 4sp a
LaTundra is offline   Reply With Quote