Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2018, 01:35 AM   #1
JeLo

Which Truck Choice?

nice combo! I have a similar setup ( 2016 F150 Lariat max tow w/2012 Cougar 291 RLS ) and I'm debating either getting a 2500 Ram diesel or another F150 but with HD payload. my numbers are a bit over (payload & GWVR). What's the payload on your F150? pin weight?
thanks!
JL
JeLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:12 AM   #2
KimNTerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeLo View Post
nice combo! I have a similar setup ( 2016 F150 Lariat max tow w/2012 Cougar 291 RLS ) and I'm debating either getting a 2500 Ram diesel or another F150 but with HD payload. my numbers are a bit over (payload & GWVR). What's the payload on your F150? pin weight?
thanks!
JL
Payload (on the yellow sticker) is 2337
GVWR on the manufacturer's cert is 7850

Pinweight Last I weighed (I have not weighed with this truck yet) but not much has changed on the trailer since the last weight was approximately 1500.

Dry Weight on trailer is 8,890?
GVWR on Trailer is 10,220

My Tundra could pull and safely stop this rig (Lots of Mountain driving in California including I-5 between Castaic CA and Grapevine CA (AKA the Grapevine) CA-168 from Fresno to Shaver Lake and CA-178 to Lake Isabella), but the numbers were NOT there. According to all the numbers, I was overweight on the Tundra.

I have towed the IKE (I-70 west bound from the Eisenhower Tunnel 8 miles down to Dillon CO) down and up twice with this rig and crested Fremont Pass twice as well elevation 11,319 including some 7% and 8% grades in there. I am very comfortable with both the pulling and stopping ability of this combination.

Tested Full stop on Hwy 91 on a section of 8% downhill grade (no one around me either direction and I pulled off into a turn-out for the full stop). I was able to safely bring the truck to a full stop from 60 Mph without burning the trailer brakes or the truck's brakes.

Please NOTE: This kind of towing is NOT for beginners or first timers. It is technically challenging driving that demands the most of both the driver and the equipment. I was exhausted after the 3 hour trip either way. I have been towing large loads with Pickups up to full 50 Ton Tractors off and on for 30 Plus years.

I love that the max tow in the F-150 super crew adds the the 36 gallon fuel tank. 170 miles and more than half of that mountain driving and still had 1/4 - 1/3 tank. My Tundra and it's 20 Gallon Tank would have been on Empty.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:30 PM   #3
JeLo

Which Truck Choice?

Thanks for the info! I'm a Ford guy and looking at diesel trucks option i would want the Cummins engine with the Allison transmission in a F250! So maybe the F150 with HD payload would be my best bet.

JL
Old 07-18-2018, 03:34 PM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeLo View Post
Thanks for the info! I'm a Ford guy and looking at diesel trucks option i would want the Cummins engine with the Allison transmission in a F250! So maybe the F150 with HD payload would be my best bet.

JL
Why would you put the #2 engine in front of the #1 transmission & then put in the #3 truck??? LOL!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:25 AM   #5
JeLo

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Why would you put the #2 engine in front of the #1 transmission & then put in the #3 truck??? LOL!
Give me your #1 engine and truck and explain why please, I'm still in research mode!

JL
Old 07-19-2018, 07:50 AM   #6
travelin texans

Duramax with Allison transmission is #1. I've had 2 for over 300k miles, 200k+ towing, both without issue.
I drove Ford's at work for 30+ years (sorry Ford guys, but never had one I'd want to own). My son had the POS 6.0 powerchoke that couldn't get out of town without blowing a head gasket or dropping injectors, the 6.7s are ok, but I'll not try one.
Again I apologize to you Ford guy's, but the new F150 3.6 EcoBoost is still a lightweight 1/2 ton pickup with a 6 cylinder engine & I truly believe that after a few miles of regularly towing a big rv that there will be lots of them traded for a real tow vehicle.
Dodge Ram Cummins is a great engine & finally the Aisian tranny makes it tough to beat also.
You'll get opinions for/against all of the big 3 & all will do a great job, it's you choice.
This only my opinion & not sure it's even worth the .02 cents.
This should also be a separate thread!!!
So let's keep seeing pics of your trucks!
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-12-2018, 03:55 AM   #7
nesparky

Go for a 3500 and you can get the option of the Asin transmission.
nesparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:57 AM   #8
Javi

No matter the hype from Ford about the E-boost I will never understand buying a CAR with a BED to haul/carry a big load like a 5th wheel..
Old 08-28-2018, 04:59 PM   #9
Kevinc2011

Biggest thing is to buy a truck from a dealer that you can trust to take care of you. I would not send my worst enemy to either of the big 3 in the city where I live, but I have a nearby Ram dealer that has a large Diesel business, with the trained tech’s to take care of them. That being said, my corporate piece of junk is a Ford, and I would never buy one with my money!
Old 08-28-2018, 08:41 PM   #10
mcomeaux

2018 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7 with 3.73 gearing....Nice...
2017 Fuzion 40' Pulls great I used to have a 16 Dodge SRW 6.7 3.43 and it did it but not well.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:22 AM   #11
Laredo Tugger

Someone once wrote on here that the perfect truck has Ford suspension,an Alison transmission and a Cummings Turbo Diesel motor. That being said,I imagine you will not find "that" truck. So you're left to pick what combo best fits your needs.
I have a Ram 3500 SRW with the Aisin trans. Real happy with the power and trans combo, the ride is a different story but bearable and drastically improves when towing. And many other factors come into play,namely finances. If you find a killer deal on a nice, safe and capable TV, might be hard to pass up. While it may not be your first choice,it is the first choice of your checkbook,and you know who usually wins that battle.
This is definitely a "to each his own" topic.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:50 AM   #12
Harleydodge

Although I have nothing to compare it to, as it's my 1st HD truck, I have to side with Team Ram on this one.
I am nothing but grins from ear to ear when hitched up to our 36ft 5er.
The 6.7 coupled to the Aisin tranny and DRW, along with fantastic engine braking capability make my truck a joy to drive.
Only complaint, as mentioned above, is the ride while not towing/loaded. The thing rides like an empty dump truck, but the sacrifice is more than worth it.
There is nothing about owning this truck that makes me want to try any other.
'Nuff said.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:35 AM   #13
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydodge View Post
Although I have nothing to compare it to, as it's my 1st HD truck, I have to side with Team Ram on this one.
I am nothing but grins from ear to ear when hitched up to our 36ft 5er.
The 6.7 coupled to the Aisin tranny and DRW, along with fantastic engine braking capability make my truck a joy to drive.
Only complaint, as mentioned above, is the ride while not towing/loaded. The thing rides like an empty dump truck, but the sacrifice is more than worth it.
There is nothing about owning this truck that makes me want to try any other.
'Nuff said.
Set the duallie rear tires to 35 PSI when not tow and check the ride!
Old 08-29-2018, 06:55 AM   #14
travelin texans

IMHO the Duramax/Allison is tough to beat! If they put an Allison behind a Cummins that would be a hard choice. But why would ANYONE contaminate the perfect truck with Ford parts, especially the suspension??
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-29-2018, 07:08 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

My DW and I were coming back from shopping in town yesterday and we were "just chatting" about life in general. She commented that our truck was the most comfortable one that we've had since we started towing with trucks. Prior to that we towed with an IH Travelall. Reflecting on our conversation, I can honestly say that the new generation SuperDuty line (2011 and newer) are significantly different than the older trucks.

I suppose everyone has an opinion and most are based on personal choices and experience without regard to "the reality of what else is available", so my opinion is biased by what I have experience with as well..... That said, for me, the newer SuperDuty line has "finally" achieved a diesel engine and transmission that are trouble free, reliable and economical. They are installed in a truck that is comfortable to drive, and that performs well both empty and loaded to tow.

I understand that some owners of any truck line will have issues, some will have never owned anything but "their brand" and will base opinions of what they know rather than on objectivity. Heck, I've read the statement, "I'll never own a Ford, when I had company trucks back in the 80's, they were all junk." So, based on that, all current offerings would be eliminated because all of the "big 3" produced trucks that were "junk" compared to today's standards.

Does anyone (who is old enough and still has a memory) remember ever going on an extended vacation in a 1950/1960 vintage vehicle without spending at least one day at a service station getting a generator or water pump replaced?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:44 AM   #16
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
Someone once wrote on here that the perfect truck has Ford suspension,an Alison transmission and a Cummings Turbo Diesel motor. That being said,I imagine you will not find "that" truck. So you're left to pick what combo best fits your needs.
I have a Ram 3500 SRW with the Aisin trans. Real happy with the power and trans combo, the ride is a different story but bearable and drastically improves when towing. And many other factors come into play,namely finances. If you find a killer deal on a nice, safe and capable TV, might be hard to pass up. While it may not be your first choice,it is the first choice of your checkbook,and you know who usually wins that battle.
This is definitely a "to each his own" topic.
RMc
Well said LT. Honestly, all of the big three's HD, Super Duty, etc. are very capable towing rigs. I've heard people say they wouldn't own a (fill in the blank) but when the price got right and they needed a 250/2500, 350/3500 they became a (fill in the blank) owner! And most of them liked what they got. From 2011 and up the power these trucks make over the older models is incredible. And you can get all the options you could possibly want (or afford). Just know how much truck you need before you buy. Don't count on the salesman to do that for you. They will tell you it will tow anything. Others here have found that to be untrue, at least from a legal standpoint. To each their own, enjoy!

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:04 AM   #17
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
IMHO the Duramax/Allison is tough to beat! If they put an Allison behind a Cummins that would be a hard choice. But why would ANYONE contaminate the perfect truck with Ford parts, especially the suspension??
No need for a Allison in a 3500 RAM, as the Aisin option is available. The Aisin has a much better 1st and 2nd gear ratio for towing verse the Allison.

3.094 1.809 Ally
3.75 2.00 Aisin

The Aisin is a true medium duty truck transmission.

Chris
Old 08-29-2018, 09:22 AM   #18
bob91yj

The Allison is also a true medium duty transmission. It was released to the medium duty market prior to it being put in pick ups.
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:54 AM   #19
Javi

The 6R140 ain't no slouch neither...

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/tra...hift-vs-aisin/
Old 08-29-2018, 10:57 AM   #20
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
The 6R140 ain't no slouch neither...

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/tra...hift-vs-aisin/
The torqshift is a great transmission. Chris