Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2018, 05:29 PM   #21
rogeru

Triple GGG is spot on with their advice!! It doesn't matter how much you spend on a camper, there will be things that go wrong. That's why you need a forum such as this. The good people on here have a TON of experiences, and are willing to share great tips and information. So, Welcome Aboard!!! You are among friends!
rogeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:36 PM   #22
KeithInUpstateNY

Classic buyer's remorse. You WILL probably find something that's not right on your first outing that you missed in the dealer's lot and walk through. But your dealer should take care of it if you do. Your dealer is as important in your relationship with your camper as the manufacturer, maybe more so.

Take a look at all the requests for assistance resolving problems in Trailer Life and you will see problems with virtually every manufacturer at one time or another. Usually TL gets called in because a dealer isn't meeting expectations in resolving an issue.

Enjoy your new Hideout. I'm betting the kids will.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:47 PM   #23
footz1941

Enjoy camping with your family Make great memories. My 49 yo son now has a travel trailer. Says some of the best times were camping trips. Slide in pu camper, tent trailers, mini motor home, class A, and 5th wheel
footz1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:57 PM   #24
travelin texans

Keep a list of all the items you want looked at by your dealer & unless it's something major wait til after camping season to take to your dealer, you enjoy it & not let it sit in their lot all season.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:31 AM   #25
LuvsPalmTrees

I think of it as a traveling house. All the bumps and (if you live in Michigan) potholes sometimes things happen. Don't sweat the small stuff and have a great time. My boys camped since they were 3 mths and 6 mths in a pop-up, then a bunkhouse. They have fantastic memories and so do we. Our Laredo is at 2013 and we went camping for Mother's Day and the furnace went out the second day (temps down in the low 40's). Never had a problem before. We went and bought a heated mattress pad and kept camping. Your girls will love it and all the people they will meet and things you get to do together. They have their own bunks they can make their own space. Everyone is right - this is a great forum and you learn a lot of what to do and what not to do. ENJOY make memories and take lots of pictures.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:19 PM   #26
Oki Raised

I bought the exact same model last year. I've towed it from Montana all the way to the Illinois, then the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and all the way back to Montana and haven't had any issues so far. I've taken out out probably a dozen times since we bought it and the only real "oops" moment I've had is I leaned back against the dinette chair and cracked some wood. I just pulled the wood panel off, added a brace and stapled the panel back on. I sure overall you'll be pretty happy with the time you'll get to spend with your family in it!
Oki Raised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:14 PM   #27
yoster

Thank you everyone for your overwhelming support. I'm now feeling MUCH better about the quality of the purchase. Still a bit bummed that I purchased something 100% new (didn't take my own advice.. you always buy used!!!) but I've now put that aside.

Dealer will have the trailer ready for me to pick up on the 11th. I'll post pics!! We already have our first trip booked
yoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:08 PM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoster View Post
Thank you everyone for your overwhelming support. I'm now feeling MUCH better about the quality of the purchase. Still a bit bummed that I purchased something 100% new (didn't take my own advice.. you always buy used!!!) but I've now put that aside.

Dealer will have the trailer ready for me to pick up on the 11th. I'll post pics!! We already have our first trip booked

I'm glad you feel better. BTW, I never buy anything used....anything. I don't need or want someone else's problems....could have been a real jewel, but the majority of the time they're not. New items come with a lot of perks, but also downsides (depreciation). I'll go with the depreciation. Lots of folks feel differently and I understand, but that's just not me.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:45 PM   #29
chuckster57
Site Team

All 4 of my fifth wheels were bought new.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:57 PM   #30
Ksupaul

The smile on their faces tell you all you need to know about your trailer. No go have fun and deal with whatever comes. And it always comes regardless of the manufacturer!!
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:51 AM   #31
SJH

People tend to post problems not praise.
All that posted ahead of me are correct.... enjoy making memories, the kids will grow up fast. Only a small time frame to enjoy them....problems you don't have yet? ....are nothing to worry about.
SJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:51 AM   #32
Retired Copper

Nice camper, congrads. The fun and memories will far out weight any minor issues, remember if one comes up it can be fixed. This forum has a wealth of knowledge; folks here have just about seen it all at one time or the other. Getting to know your camper from end to end will give you confidence. Hey, it ain`t as bad as owning a swimming pool.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:02 AM   #33
flybouy
Site Team

Just curious... why do you question the purchase now? Was it a case of ready, fire. aim? Or did something happen after your purchase? Seriously, the statement "Can anyone share any redeeming qualities " is very harsh and sounds like there was a major issue, which if there was should be handled under warranty. Just curious.
I hope you enjoy your new purchase.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:50 AM   #34
Northofu1

First night in my trailer, I woke up in panic mode, claustrophobic, in debt, in over my head. LMBO, looked at some posts on here, and realized it's nothing that can't be fixed.
rest of the trip was awesome.
Your kids will never really remember what went wrong with all the little things in the trailer, they will remember catching frogs, fishing, swimming and SMORES.
fix what breaks and enjoy
PS. All RV's are the same, made to depreciate.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:52 AM   #35
Northofu1

Hey Copper, pools are easy, unless the shell is cracked :P

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:57 AM   #36
Carrottop

We now have two adult girls 21 and 19 and they still can't wait for camping season and still come with us when their schedules permit. We started camping when our girls were a little younger than yours and our first RV was a 1986 Glendale class c with a 460 that literally drank fuel. We drove it from Alberta our home at that time to Disneyland in 2005 and the girls still talk about that trip even though we have taken many vacations in many different fancier RV's they still miss the old Glendale or "Betsy" as they named it. Forget the worries they will always be there, make the memories they will last a lifetime.

GO Camp use the trailer and use it well, trust me it won't be the last one you own.

Safe Travels,

John
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:22 AM   #37
RoscoeV

Congratulations on your new camper. Do yourself a favor and download the PDI document to take with you on the 11th and go through it thoroughly with the tech before you sign the papers. This is your chance to learn everything about your camper and get everything little thing fixed before you take it home. Take notes on how to operate everything and make sure they show you where things like the hot water tank bypass valve is located, the water pump etc. Don't just let them point at a panel and say it's behind there.... have them show you. I'm sure you will be happy with your decision on buying this camper.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:32 AM   #38
yoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Just curious... why do you question the purchase now? Was it a case of ready, fire. aim? Or did something happen after your purchase? Seriously, the statement "Can anyone share any redeeming qualities " is very harsh and sounds like there was a major issue, which if there was should be handled under warranty. Just curious.
I hope you enjoy your new purchase.
Two answers to this
1) Upon getting home, I found a near identical model, but a 2015, for 14k on Craigslist. I found another older one (but looked very nice - down the street) going for 11k.

2) Regarding the harsh comment - this was simply my reaction to what I was reading online. Comment wasn't in relation to MY trailer (I don't even get to pick it up until the 11th!) It's just that.. you don't feel good when you make a big (to me) purchase, then get home and find youtube videos, facebook pages, etc about "Warning to consumers about Keystone products." Including youtube reviews from owners just going off on the things. Being totally new to this, my first reaction was, "Oh crap did I just buy the single worst brand I could possibly buy?" The google reviews of they keystone company itself are also incredibly low.

My concerns about #2 are now gone - and your replies helped a lot with that! I also found out that my parents trailer (a 2001 they bought used about 5 years ago.. and they use it a LOT for extended durations) is also a Keystone. They've had very little problems with theirs - and it's over 15 years old.

#1 - Ya if I could do it all again I still might go used - I've always had great success w/used and have saved thousands of dollars in the past on that. I also found aftermarket extended warranties on trailers for like 1500 bucks. 11k trailer + 1,500 extended warranty (that covers pretty much everything) - Golden!

But #1 is in the past now too - time to march on with a new trailer
Old 05-31-2018, 11:33 AM   #39
yoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeV View Post
Congratulations on your new camper. Do yourself a favor and download the PDI document to take with you on the 11th and go through it thoroughly with the tech before you sign the papers. This is your chance to learn everything about your camper and get everything little thing fixed before you take it home. Take notes on how to operate everything and make sure they show you where things like the hot water tank bypass valve is located, the water pump etc. Don't just let them point at a panel and say it's behind there.... have them show you. I'm sure you will be happy with your decision on buying this camper.
Good ideas, thank you!
Old 05-31-2018, 11:34 AM   #40
yoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Copper View Post
Nice camper, congrads. The fun and memories will far out weight any minor issues, remember if one comes up it can be fixed. This forum has a wealth of knowledge; folks here have just about seen it all at one time or the other. Getting to know your camper from end to end will give you confidence. Hey, it ain`t as bad as owning a swimming pool.
HA! That's funny, because that was the other consideration - a pool

Tags
hideout