Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2017, 04:36 PM   #21
Lic0rice

We have a 3400RL. The breaker box is over the toilet. I mounted my EMS-HW50C and remote battery monitor on the wall to the left of the breaker box. There was plenty of wire behind the breakers which made the install easy. The blinking of the monitor can be a bit annoying but only while in the head.
B&W Turnoverball + B&W Companion Hitch
1998 Key West 1720
Lic0rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:52 PM   #22
bobbecky

Another thing to remember after installing the Progressive EMS, is, if you use a generator with an unbonded ground, such as the Honda inverter type, you will need a plug, either commercially made, or just get a three prong plug and use a short piece of wire to connect between the ground and the neutral screws and plug into the other 20 amp outlet on the generator, so the EMS sees a bonded source. The use of this generator plug is safe to use, and is also discussed in the Progressive EMS installation manual, "This does not stop you from using a “generator plug” that ties together neutral and ground as this is perfectly safe"
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:05 PM   #23
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st Chev Diesel View Post
I have seen how some folks wire in the Progressive surge protectors (bobecky for one) On another site I saw a picture of wiring with plug ends.

As there is a disconnect switch in the EMS-HW50C unit to allow power to the RV if the EMS fails (granted unprotected) then plug ends would serve no purpose.

Plug ends would make it easier to move the EMS unit to another RV.

What other advantages is there to wiring the EMS with plug ends?

Thanks. Gary

I have a hard-wired unit installed with plugs and receptacles. I did this for two reasons:
One, the "override" is not mechanical. It is done via the remote electronic display. If that (or the circuitry it connects to) fails, you cannot bypass.
Two, I can easily remove the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:30 PM   #24
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
PARAPTOR.....I would like to know which one(s) have built in surge protection for both inputs.....I'm not seeing it.....neither the Surge Guard brand or the Progressive brand will protect the incoming line to the surge supressor or the transfer switch. The suppression is on the load side of both of those units.....which takes you right back to what I posted in some earlier posts in this thread.....about wiring in the surge supressor on the load side of the transfer switch.... i.e. before the input to the breaker panel.

And actually, after some research, the Progressive Surge protector that has been discussed in this thread, offers a higher level of surge protection than the Surge Guard transfer switch with built in surge protection (which is built into the load side of the switch)

Personally, I will be buying and putting a Progressive system in mine eventually, and it will be located between the load side of the transfer switch and the line going out to the breaker panel, as stated in the progressive instructions for applications that have both shore power and generator power.
Think we have a communication problem, I have supplied you with information to answer your questions? Make sure in your research that you are not comparing apples and oranges. Seems like you have your mind set on placing a surge protector after the transfer switch, that leaves your transfer switch unprotected as stated before. You may want to do some more research either on this forum or the internet. Just curious are you running unprotected now?

OH By the way I took a quick peek on the Progressive Industries website http://www.progressiveindustries.net/faq

Here is a section of the their FAQ

Q: Should a Hardwired EMS be installed before or after the transfer switch?
A: A hardwired EMS should be installed prior to the transfer switch. The reason for this is most RV generators already have built-in voltage and frequency protection. If the EMS is installed after the transfer switch, this leaves the transfer switch vulnerable to power problem

Someone else on the Forum who has an on board generator, transfer switch and interest in having an EMS system may want to chime in to assist you. Not sure I can provide any more help.

Good Luck, let us know what you decide
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:03 AM   #25
xrated

PARAPTOR...I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on some of the points discussed here. I agree that a surge suppressor, installed ahead of the transfer switch will protect the transfer switch when it is being fed from shore power. That installation will also protect the electrical lines that feed the breaker panel and of course, the items that are fed from the breakers in that panel. With that type of installation, what will NOT be protected is all of the devices in your camper/motorhome/toy hauler/etc. when running on Generator power because the transfer switch has opened the circuit (shore power feed) and that is where the surge suppressor is located, on the line or entry side of the transfer switch that has shore power coming to it.

Further, I will state that if you want all of your camper/motorhome/ trailer/etc devices protected while running on shore power OR generator power, the surge suppressor MUST be installed between the load side of the transfer switch and the breaker panel. This can be right at the transfer switch or at the breaker panel area BEFORE the lines go into the breaker panel main breakers.

Here is a link to the Progressive Industries web site that features the EMS-LCHW50.....
http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-lchw50

When you click that link, and the page loads, click on the tab that says "technical data"
When that page loads, click on the link for "print installation & operating guide"....it's right below the picture of the smiling motorhome.
When that PDF file downloads, scroll down to page 4 and you will see instructions for installing the surge suppressor AHEAD of the transfer switch. This install will protect your transfer switch and everything down stream ...breaker panel and all of the devices in your camper that the shore power feeds.

Now scroll down to page 6 of that same installation manual. Pay VERY CLOSE ATTENTION to the title of that section......and I quote...

" Installation AFTER Transfer Box for Protection from BOTH Generator and A/C power" (what we all refer to as shore power)"

This tells me that if the surge suppressor is installed using that method (after the transfer switch) you will have protection for your camper/motorhome/trailer/etc., but NOT for the transfer switch itself. This leads right back to my earlier post when I stated the very same thing. In the scheme of things, if something happens and the transfer switch has to be replaced, it is a less expensive item than the downstream components in the trailer....air conditioning units refrigerators, satellite system components, and anything else that may operate on 120VAC. And remember, this installation will protect your trailer whether you are running on shore power OR generator power.

PS....I currently do not have any type or brand of surge suppressor. I bought the Toy Hauler in late October and it has been parked for the winter. I am adding mods to it over the winter, and a quality EMS system is on my list of things to add.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:47 AM   #26
cardinal96ss

Interesting discussion. It sounds like everyone has an automated transfer switch, making me the odd man out. I installed a manual transfer switch and installed my Progressive surge protector between the switch and the breaker box. The coach is protected regardless of power source. The switch is simple and doesn't need protection.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote