Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2016, 05:26 PM   #1
MotownJG

Yes - another propane question

My 2009 Keystone Cougar / Copper Canyon 5th Wheel has two propane bottles; one on each side of the rig. There's a manual switch on the door entry side.

I got this used, and question whether anyone ever used the opposite side propane tank. My problem is when switching to the other side (driver's side?) propane tank it never seems to fully switch the indicator from red to green. I end up switching tanks manually (physically hauling it from one side to the other) in order to keep cooking, staying warm, etc.

I've read the threads about slowly opening the opposite side tank, etc but that hasn't helped. So.....

What's likely to be the culprit here, the manifold on the other side? The changeover switch? Any thoughts on how to diagnose this (e.g. disconnect one side, switch-over, etc. etc.).

You folks are awesome BTW. I love this website.
Hoping to leave California in the next year.
MotownJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:58 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I would suspect the changeover valve. There are some tests you can do but it involves using a manometer. That gauge is about $55.00 on amazon, and if you think you'll be using it again then it may not be a bad investment.

It may be cheaper to just replace the regulator/changeover and see what happens.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:18 PM   #3
MotownJG

Thanks for the reply.

Just back from a week up at the lake and going to change the regulator next to the tank first, then move on to the changeover valve since the changeover indicator "seems" to work properly (green for the entry side, then goes red when switched to the street side).

But we'll see. Just glad it was easy to remove the regulator on that side & take it with me to the RV store.......
Old 10-13-2018, 04:22 PM   #4
MotownJG

Two years late in replying but the advice here definitely helped & I put in a new regulator by myself. Been working great ever since.

Tags
propane changeover