Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #1
linux3

Winterizing Question

Maybe 4 weeks ago was what was to be our second to the last trip of the season.
Usually we plan one last trip with a full hook up so that on the last day I can flush and drain the tanks and winterize when we get home.

Well, because of the colder than normal Fall most campgrounds around us are closed.
My grey water tank is empty.
My black water tank was flushed and then I added a few gallons of water and a black water "tablet".

Can I dump a gallon of the "Pink" stuff in the black water tank and winterize the rest of the TT as usual?

If the black water tank is flushed but contains a few gallons of water and a treatment packet I still really hate dumping it on my driveway.

Thoughts?
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:12 PM   #2
fourfourto

A few gallons is at least 3.
Dump it into a 5 gallon bucket and flush it.
last dump of season I put couple cups of water then 1/2 gallon extra antifreeze in black
put 2 1/2 gallons in fresh tank when pink dump it and the rest of it goes mostly into gray some in black .
Make sure to bypass hot water heater and take out anode to drain.

2017 Keystone 1750rd
2006 Hummer H3
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1983 Honda CX650C
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:08 PM   #3
notanlines

Rob, as Joe Cool with the 442 (I just hate him) speaks the truth. One gallon of RV antifreeze won't do much for your gallons in the black tank. Just like was suggested, fill the 5 gallon bucket, more than once if necessary, and then leave the black tank. No reason to do anything to it.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:41 PM   #4
fourfourto

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
leave the black tank. No reason to do anything to it.
I add couple cups of water for ride home with blue packet then add antifreeze when winterizing.
gotta have a pac in there or it will stink little fluid so it dissolves.

2017 Keystone 1750rd
2006 Hummer H3
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1983 Honda CX650C
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:37 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Dump the black tank...5 gal. bucket or whatever. If you live in NY you don't need to be putting "a few gallons" of water in any of the tanks for winter. You also don't need to worry about "smelling" come spring if you don't. Putting water and a packet in the black tank going in for winter is a recipe, to me, for a big problem come spring.

Dump the tanks for winter. Add some anti freeze to them to protect them; no
"few gallons of water" or packets of anything. Make sure you have dumped and flushed the black tank. The last filling of the black tank should have had deodorant etc. in it. We've done that for years and never had a
"smell" of any kind - just clean it out when you dump.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:32 AM   #6
jkohler70

If you have a couple of gallons of water in a tank with a capacity of 30+ gallons it isn't any concern. Freezing causes problems because water expands when it freezes. Water expands about 9% when it freezes. You'd need in excess of 25 gallons of water in a 30 gallon tank for the expansion to cause a problem.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:37 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

The problem is not water in the tank. As stated, a couple of gallons in a black or gray tank won't cover the bottom and if it freezes, it won't do any damage. That's not true with where the water drains "from the tank".....

If you leave the valves open and have the cap on the sewer connection, that area will fill with water and if it freezes it may well crack the pipes. Same with any plumbing between the tank and the valve....

Adding "a gallon or two" of RV antifreeze to an "unknown quantity of stuff left in the tank" is a sure fire way to destroy a valve or crack a plumbing run, especially in any area where the temperature falls below freezing for an extended time.....

So, I'd strongly recommend emptying the tank completely, not taking a risk with residual liquid migrating into the plumbing run to the valve, freezing and damaging the plumbing or the valve. Pouring a gallon or tow of antifreeze into a tank with one gallon of liquid is significantly different than pouring a gallon or two into a tank with 5 gallons of residual liquid. One "might be OK down to 20F while the other is going to freeze at 20F, possibly cracking that 3" pipe that connects to the black tank, just ahead of the black tank valve.....

You know it's going to get cold enough to cause damage to unprotected "stuff", so I'd take action to protect the "stuff" knowing it's potentially at risk..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterizing