Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2018, 08:52 AM   #21
Miles65

The more I get into the logistics and cost of this driveway installation, the less I'm inclined to go for it. That being the case. let me ask another question, here: Since the only part of the run where I lose traction, in the mud, is the last 50' of the back-up, do you think I can simply put tire chains on one of my trucks and make a go of it? The incline is probably about 10º. I would tow my RV to a campsite with my nice, new F-150, then, on my return, drop it in the street, hook up my Ram 2500 Diesel, with chains on the rear tires, and back it in. Yeah, lots of hassle, to be sure, but it will save me a bundle of cash and mega-hours of driveway work. Weigh in, if you feel like it. Thanks! (I don't like using my 2500 for vacations since it's my work truck, and looks it. I also wouldn't want to drive all over the place with chains. That being the case, I'd install the chains on the 2500 before I left for camping, so it'd be ready when I got back, if I needed it.)
Miles65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:44 AM   #22
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles65 View Post
The more I get into the logistics and cost of this driveway installation, the less I'm inclined to go for it. That being the case. let me ask another question, here: Since the only part of the run where I lose traction, in the mud, is the last 50' of the back-up, do you think I can simply put tire chains on one of my trucks and make a go of it? The incline is probably about 10º. I would tow my RV to a campsite with my nice, new F-150, then, on my return, drop it in the street, hook up my Ram 2500 Diesel, with chains on the rear tires, and back it in. Yeah, lots of hassle, to be sure, but it will save me a bundle of cash and mega-hours of driveway work. Weigh in, if you feel like it. Thanks! (I don't like using my 2500 for vacations since it's my work truck, and looks it. I also wouldn't want to drive all over the place with chains. That being the case, I'd install the chains on the 2500 before I left for camping, so it'd be ready when I got back, if I needed it.)
I think the method you are describing would get old real fast. Building the driveway is more expensive now but in the long run you will appreciate the convenience.
Is the Ram not a 4x4? No need for chains if it is.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:57 AM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
I think the method you are describing would get old real fast. Building the driveway is more expensive now but in the long run you will appreciate the convenience.

I agree with Joe. For a one time thing that might be OK but if that is the plan for every time you use the trailer it will be extremely annoying IMO. Can a dump truck get into that 50' that is problematic? We have the gravel road to our house in the mountains re-graveled periodically and it's not too expensive to have them come in and just drop/spread it with the truck - I usually like to get about 4" down. The larger gravel (1" +) just moves around and won't pack but the smaller gravel with chat in it compacts and gets hard. I don't know what a dirt/gravel contractor would charge in your area but I think (been a while and poor memory) we pay about $300 a truck load. They just drive up, start at one end and slowly open/lift the bed. Wider areas require a 2nd pass. If needed, we spread/level with rakes. I would far, far rather do that than place/remove snow chains for a small muddy area. Plus, after a few rounds through the mud spinning those chains they will have to come out and repair the holes/ruts with something anyway. JMO
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:59 AM   #24
Local150

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I agree with Joe. For a one time thing that might be OK but if that is the plan for every time you use the trailer it will be extremely annoying IMO. Can a dump truck get into that 50' that is problematic? We have the gravel road to our house in the mountains re-graveled periodically and it's not too expensive to have them come in and just drop/spread it with the truck - I usually like to get about 4" down. The larger gravel (1" +) just moves around and won't pack but the smaller gravel with chat in it compacts and gets hard. I don't know what a dirt/gravel contractor would charge in your area but I think (been a while and poor memory) we pay about $300 a truck load. They just drive up, start at one end and slowly open/lift the bed. Wider areas require a 2nd pass. If needed, we spread/level with rakes. I would far, far rather do that than place/remove snow chains for a small muddy area. Plus, after a few rounds through the mud spinning those chains they will have to come out and repair the holes/ruts with something anyway. JMO
I have to agree with sourdough
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:12 AM   #25
Miles65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
No, not 4x4. I needed the higher towing capacity of the rear-wheel drive. I haul 12K with it, at times. It hates the mud, though.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:30 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Let's look at the "whole picture" not just the drive or pulling through the mud.

First, there's the PVC frame on a 15'+ tall structure that's covered with a tarp. That may (or may not) survive the "winter winds" and the "summer sun". If it were me, I'd not install a $1000 drive to a $1000 building until I knew the building is going to survive the weather.

So, this is just a suggestion, but something to consider. You're concerned with pulling the trailer through the wet grass/mud. That happens only a short while, otherwise, there's no real problem with getting the trailer in and out.

Putting chains on a truck and hitching to a 4 ton trailer to pull it through the mud is going to make a "helluva" mess in the back yard. You are assured of having ruts at least a foot deep, provided you can even pull through the ruts.

I'd look at the weather forecast, and if you're expecting to use the trailer and rain is coming, I'd pull it out before the mud starts and park it somewhere you CAN get it out. Then, when the mud dries, put it back in the building.

Then, if in a year or so, the building is working as planned, that's the time to start building an expensive rock drive. If you invest in the gravel/limestone/granite now and find the building doesn't work as hoped, you're stuck with a lot of "stuff the lawn mower doesn't like".....

I'd slow down a bit and look at alternatives to the gravel drive for this year, then see if it's really needed once you know the building is going to still be there, "next year"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:48 PM   #27
Miles65

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Let's look at the "whole picture" not just the drive or pulling through the mud.

First, there's the PVC frame on a 15'+ tall structure that's covered with a tarp. That may (or may not) survive the "winter winds" and the "summer sun". If it were me, I'd not install a $1000 drive to a $1000 building until I knew the building is going to survive the weather.

So, this is just a suggestion, but something to consider. You're concerned with pulling the trailer through the wet grass/mud. That happens only a short while, otherwise, there's no real problem with getting the trailer in and out.

Putting chains on a truck and hitching to a 4 ton trailer to pull it through the mud is going to make a "helluva" mess in the back yard. You are assured of having ruts at least a foot deep, provided you can even pull through the ruts.

I'd look at the weather forecast, and if you're expecting to use the trailer and rain is coming, I'd pull it out before the mud starts and park it somewhere you CAN get it out. Then, when the mud dries, put it back in the building.

Then, if in a year or so, the building is working as planned, that's the time to start building an expensive rock drive. If you invest in the gravel/limestone/granite now and find the building doesn't work as hoped, you're stuck with a lot of "stuff the lawn mower doesn't like".....

I'd slow down a bit and look at alternatives to the gravel drive for this year, then see if it's really needed once you know the building is going to still be there, "next year"......
I agree with you. I'm just jonesing to get into another project. I am going to give it a break, for now.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:00 AM   #28
hondapro87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles65 View Post
I agree with you. I'm just jonesing to get into another project. I am going to give it a break, for now.

If you want projects to do come to my place I can find lots of things for you to do. LOL

Really though good luck with your driveway project.
hondapro87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:58 AM   #29
Bnrc73

If the last 50 feet is the problem, why put in a 120' driveway? Start with the 50' at a third of the cost and add on as needed.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:27 AM   #30
Lymey

With years of experience in building roads I would suggest the following
1. Work in dry weather if possible
2. Excavate a minimum of 6” for the drive way, preferably 8”. More is better.
3. Compact sub grade with vibratory tamper or small roller.
4. Apply fabric on sub grade, staple in place.
5. If possible find a local source for crushed concrete (usually construction companies that do road work) and place in two lifts compacting each with the vibratory tamper.

I suggest the crushed concrete as in my experience it packs in and sets better than most stone. If you want to try to keep your lawn I have actually used this method excavating an extra 4” then covering the area with more filter fabric and placing top soil over the stone to grade then seeding. That way you have a green driveway.
Lymey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #31
Andymil

I am a fan of the milled asphalt if you can get it. I put down a base of #3 slag (2” - 3”) and at least 4” of ground asphalt on top. We used to be able to get slag from the steel mills in our area. I’ve bought millings from a paving company but I got some for free when the state was resurfacing a road a couple of miles from my house. I was happier than a pig in... well, you know.

The only maintenance I do is to spray a round-up type weed and grass killer on the weeds that pop up in the spring.
Andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:45 PM   #32
NevadaRich

I have a 43 ft Toy Hauler which is over 20k, I placed 3/4" Gravel on the driveway where it is parked, I have added rock every 5 years, but I have been able to drive in and out over the Gravel, I have rain and snow in the winter.....
NevadaRich is offline   Reply With Quote