Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #1
Allesfam

Black tank leak

Water leaks from the top of my black tank when I turn on the flusher. This is our 3rd season with this camper but I'm thinking this has been happening since new. There was no way to locate this during the PDI without removing the plastic under-belly cover. When I noticed the liner sagging recently, I had no choice but to cut out a large section to inspect. What I found is water runs down from the top of the black tank when the flusher is turned on. The dump valve is open so it isn't pressurized or overflowing. I can only assume that the spray from the flusher is finding a crack or gap in the top of the tank to escape from. The black tank is mounted very securely and the toilet flange is glued in so I can't drop the tank easily to get a good look. It is not leaking where the flusher enters the tank because that area is exposed and no water is coming from there. I question why they glued the flange into the tank. Wouldn't a rubber gasket be better? That way the flange could slide into the tank and it would be more forgiving for slight movement or vibration. It would also be easier to remove or replace. Did they also glue the vent tube and the rear sink drain into the black tank? (While I was under there I discovered that the exterior kitchen sink empties into the black tank, instead of the gray). If they glued them, all of these pipes must be cut off to drop the tank. I did try to remove the toilet flange by removing the screws that mount it to the floor and gently lifting up on it. That is when I learned that it is glued in. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be glued all the way around. It moves up and down slightly on the one side but not the other so I'm thinking that the side that isn't glued so well is the source of my leak. I talked to my dealer and they are going to contact Keystone but I'm not counting on them covering this because I am outside the warranty period. Has anyone else had a problem like this? Anyone ever replaced the toilet flange? What is the best way to seal up the plastic underbelly cover once you have cut into it?
Allesfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:52 AM   #2
Jim & DJ

Only leaks when using spray ?????
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:46 AM   #3
Allesfam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & DJ View Post
Only leaks when using spray ?????
Yes, I suspect it will leak if I overfilled it or drove with enough liquid in the tank to splashed up to the top of the tank where the leak is. I'm hoping it is just where the toilet flange goes into the tank. That might be any easier repair that doesn't require the tank being dropped. If it is a crack or some other opening on the top of the tank, the whole tank will need to be dropped to expose it.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:52 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Sounds to me like perhaps the line that connects the rinser to the tank has come loose or split and is leaking. The pipes going into black and gray tanks are typically what's called a spin weld and to remove the tank requires cutting the pipes.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:54 PM   #5
bobbecky

This is how our flush line is connected to the front of our black tank. Can't imagine how the spray from the line or fittings would be making it to the outside top of the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank flush line.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	18156  
bobbecky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:07 AM   #6
Allesfam

Thanks flybouy. I'm pretty certain the spin weld between the toilet flange and the black tank has failed. The flange extends down into the tank and the flusher enters the tank a few inches away from the flange so; water hits pipe, splashes up and out the failed weld, and then leaks down from the top of the tank.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:01 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allesfam View Post
Thanks flybouy. I'm pretty certain the spin weld between the toilet flange and the black tank has failed. The flange extends down into the tank and the flusher enters the tank a few inches away from the flange so; water hits pipe, splashes up and out the failed weld, and then leaks down from the top of the tank.
Sounds like a mess. I wish you luck with that.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:31 PM   #8
huhhhhh

Did you resolve this issue. I need to replace my black tank and am looking for any helpful info.
See also: Wizard, Magician.

2012 Fuzion 405
huhhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, tank