Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
campingcpl

Question Do you use a GPS?

I was just curious and to get some feed back on people that are using a GPS to trip route when traveling with an rv. I have been considering getting one but was always affraid of it getting me into a tight spot with low clearances or tight turns. I have been doing some research and have found that there are 4 companies that are now making GPS's for RV use. There are a few companies that are making software for laptop's/cell phones/tablets and android devices but not really interested in them. Most of them require you to have mobile internet and personally I can't see spending the money for something I wouldn't use enough.

1. Rand McNally is making one and soon to be coming out with another for RV use (http://www.randmcnally.com/products/rvgps/index.jsp).

2. Magellan makes one (http://www.magellangps.com/Magellan-...FY5Y7AodCG19FA).

3. Tele Type makes one (http://www.teletype.com/c/RV_GPS.html).

4. Garmin makes two that can be used for RV's (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=275&pID=93853 & https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=275&pID=68620)

The prices for these run from a low of $299.99 up to $529.99 (prices can very depending on where you shop). So far (knock on wood) I haven't really ran into any problems other then maybe some tight turns or some small gas stations while traveling with an RV or when I drove over the road. All I ever used was a road atlas. I have missed some exits or have made a wrong turn before because of roads not being clearly marked and was thinking that a GPS might solve some of these issues. If anyone is using any of the above GPS or other GPS units I would love to hear about your experiences with them and what type you are using.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I have 2 GPS units, one a Garmin the other a TomTom. Both have features that I like but my preference is the Garmin. The Garmin model in your link above certainly has many more features than mine but then again it costs more --- that would be the one I would want but not the one we need. If I were to buy any GPS, I would get one that has free, lifetime map and traffic upgrades and one that has a large screen.
We have found our GPS units very useful and we always have them with us.
Having said that, they do have limitations and can lead you astray - especially in areas where new construction, detours and other re-routing has recently taken place. Used in conjunction with a good map, they are a useful tool in navigating your way around strange places.
Keep in mind that the route they sometimes use is not always the best route -- it is often the shortest but not always practical. I can give you specific examples but they would apply only to our area and would not mean anything to you.
They are not foolproof but they certainly are handy not only for finding you way around but also for locating fuel stations, restaurants, shopping centers, hospitals, etc. while enroute.
If you do purchase one, don't leave it on your truck windshield when the vehicle is unattended. It is an invitation for someone to smash your windows and steal it. I even remove the GPS stick-on holder - that way, no one knows that you have a GPS in your vehicle.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

We use a Garmin 4000 series in conjunction with the Garmin ETrex hand held unit. They both have SD Card capability and we use the SD Card loaded with ATV, Snowmobile and Off Road maps for travelling in the woods as well as use the Garmin loaded maps for highway use. We've found that a tremendous benefit is the GPS can tell us us which lane to be in for the pending turns. For example, there are three turns off I-20 going through Dallas connecting with I-35. 2 are right turns, one is a left turn from an 8 lane expressway. It seems that nearly every time I've gone through Dallas, it's always been "just long enough" to forget which is the left turn and I wind up either darting across 8 lanes of traffic or going 30 or 40 miles out of the way to get back on track. With the GPS, that doesn't happen. For the most part, if you're travelling the interstate system, the GPS is invaluable for turns and local information, on secondary highways, it will get you where you want to go, but you may find that it routes you through residential or high volume (narrow street) business districts rather than using the "truck route" which would be so much less stressful. Use it, but know what the map says as well.

As Festus2 says, a good GPS is invaluable, and if you're a member of Good Sam, they just announced a RV specific GPS system to augment their GS Rand McNally Road Atlas.

One item that I saw recently had to do with security of the GPS. If you keep it in your car, don't label home as such, apparently there was a group of thieves who were breaking into cars with GPS visible at football games, etc and stealing the GPS and the garage door opener. With those two items, they could program the GPS to "home" and drive right to your door, use the garage opener to gain access and they knew about when the game would be over, so they knew how long they had in your home before you realized there was a problem. Sly and cunning? Hmmmm If you get one, mark a place a mile or so away from home as your "return destination" and don't keep the GPS visible. It might just keep your prized possessions in your possession.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
gbsb

We bought the Rand McNally 5510 GPS when we retired in June. We have been on the road since then, 15,000 miles. We have had a few little problems but nothing bad. I am pleased with this unit notified us of speed zones, dirt roads, and low bridges, never put us in any compromizing positions. good luck George
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

I have been using Garmin for years. They have the best customer service by far. My first one had a small monochrome screen but it contained US and Canada roads and world cities and towns. Also could be used for marine navigation.
Then I moved up to one with color screen and speech but updating maps became costly.
I now have one with lifetime maps and traffic. Traffic works fairly well if available where you are and has saved my butt a few times.

By the way. My Garmin Nuvi 750 is named Ethel after my mother in law. It seemed fitting since she has always wanted to tell me where to go.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
geo

Hank -

I heard that the Garmin (my favorite) has maps for North America, but none for Canada. Hmmm, can't remember where I heard that ...

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:14 AM   #7
campingcpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsb View Post
We bought the Rand McNally 5510 GPS when we retired in June. We have been on the road since then, 15,000 miles. We have had a few little problems but nothing bad. I am pleased with this unit notified us of speed zones, dirt roads, and low bridges, never put us in any compromizing positions. good luck George
This one has really caught my eye. It has all the same features as a lot of the more higher priced units but at a cheaper price. I also liked that it has the ability to switch between RV use or regular car use. One thing I have seen in reviews on this one is that people have had some trouble updating the maps through the included software. Was just wondering if you have ever had a problem with yours?

Like a lot of you I have always been a map guy and that is how I was taught and still to this day sit down with a road atlas and plan my route weeks before we actually leave. The internet has help with trip routing thanks to sites like Goolge maps, Map Quest, Good Sam's, etc. and a great site called Safe Travel USA.

I appreciate all of your comments and will probably be looking into a GPS in the coming months. I would love to have something before we start our summer travels.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:32 AM   #8
antiqfreq

We not only use a GPS (Garmin NUVI) but also our MS Streets map/program on my laptop and the Rand McNally truckers edition.

We traveled for a year cross-country and found the use of all three was necessary at times. I tried to get a state map also, if given the opportunity, each time we crossed a state line as they have lots of info on them as well.

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
Me.Bikes.Dogs

I use my Android with the CoPilot Live Premium GPS app. It has an RV setting and takes into account bridge heights. While not quite as slick as the Garmin I used to have, it is mighty close and only costs $25.
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #10
chuck&gail

We got a TomTom free because we bought 4 tires as few years ago. Nice surprise as we had not heard of promotion, but dealer had (Discount Tire, good folks). Never had one before. Used it for several years now. We both like it.

We tend to travel old back roads, we hate freeways. This meant my wife needed to keep her nose in the paper maps a lot. Now she just programs in the next town or so we want to pass thru. She loves that.

Also we need to worry less about getting lost. GPS will always find a route to somewhere we can find on a map.

Me I like that it tells me WHEN I need to start looking for the next turn, is it 1/2 mile or 20 miles. I like that.

Sometimes we do get stuck on Interstates thru crowded areas. The GPS tells me what lane to be in to turn. I REALLY like that, as finding myself in the right lane, with solid cars on lane to my left, when the exit is a left exit, is no fun at all. Thankfully many folks give RVers a break.

Does it ever screw up? Yup, it has taken us down dead end roads, but very rarely. In each case it has happened to us, road has been dirt, but we often take dirt roads. You do not need to as GPS will find alternate route automatically if you don't turn where it says.

Overall it has sure made it easier for us older folks to continue to RV.

My wife is NOT tech savy at all, and refuses to even turn a computer on. If you tried to take "her" GPS unit away, you better be faster than a speeding bullet!
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:32 AM   #11
rjsurfer

If your thinking about getting a new cell phone get a smart phone, the free Google Maps app is the best thing since sliced bread.

No more paying for yearly map upgrades, get true real-time traffic reports for no cost, all the same features as the typical Garmin. Went on a month and half cross country trip and NEVER lost cell map coverage using Verizon. Maybe once, at the bottom of Palo Duro Canyon

Google Maps are updated daily! at n/c.

Granted there is no RV specific info in Google Maps (for now) but we augment it with The Next Exit book.

By the way if you own any Garmin stock sell it, even their aviation, marine and cross country devices are not keeping up with losses of their auto division.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:53 AM   #12
wincrasher

I've used a Garmin for years and find it's the best/easiest to use.

Don't know if an RV specific one would be all that much more useful. Got my last one with a 5" screen at Costco for $145.

My new truck has the built in Nav and Onstar. I like the nice Onstar lady - she's quick at finding stuff and downloading it into your Nav. She's not around though, to tell you to get in a specific lane for a turn-off ahead. But she will tell you to have a nice day
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:15 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I've used a Garmin for years and find it's the best/easiest to use.

Don't know if an RV specific one would be all that much more useful. Got my last one with a 5" screen at Costco for $145.

My new truck has the built in Nav and Onstar. I like the nice Onstar lady - she's quick at finding stuff and downloading it into your Nav. She's not around though, to tell you to get in a specific lane for a turn-off ahead. But she will tell you to have a nice day

And now that ONSTAR is available for installation in every type of vehicle, anyone, not just GM owners can benefit from being told to "have a nice day"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:20 AM   #14
SAABDOCTOR

HI ALL SOME OLDER GARMINS LIKEMINE WILL PUT YOU ON A HIGHWAY THAT DOES NOT ALLOW CAMPERS/COMMERCIAL TRAFFIC EVEN IF YOU HAVE SELECTED NO TRUCKS. ALSO MOST OF THE GPS UNITS USE TOWN RECORDS FOR THERE LOCATIONS OF HOUSES ETC. IF THE RECORDS ARE WRONG SO IS THE GPS. IT HAPPENS ALOT IF WENT WITH THE GPS MY HOUSE WOULD BE 3/4 OF A MILE DOWN THE ROAD. ALSO ABOUT THE THIEVES STEALING YOUR GPS I HAVE A SOLUTION. WE ALL KNOW HOW TO GET TO OUR HOMES ONCE WE ARE CLOSE RIGHT? I PROGRAMED HOME TO TAKE YOU RIGHT TO THE POLICE DEPT! BUT I LOVE MY GPS SOME DAY I'LL UPDATE IT TO ON OF THE NEW ONES WITH A BIGGER SCREEN.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #15
Kunkler

there is a truck drivers version The Garmin nüvi 465T. Its the way to go for you BIG HAULERS good luck
Kunkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #16
DTJ9610

One of the only downfalls to the smart phone is when you lose signal.

Previous Trailers
2011 Jayco 17z

Previous Tows
2007 Toyota Sienna
2008 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L V8 4x4
DTJ9610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #17
cumminsdad08

or your phone i never know where mine is.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #18
mikell

Our campground has the wrong address on a lot of sites some we can change others we cannot. Even our website I had to put a GPS address because the mailing address is 1/4 mile away
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #19
SAABDOCTOR

HEY KLUNKER! THANKS I CAN'T SEE THE SMART PHONE WHEN DRIVING, BECAUSE MY GLASSES WILL FALL OFF WHEN DW HITS ME WITH HER BOOK!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:50 PM   #20
rjsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTJ9610 View Post
One of the only downfalls to the smart phone is when you lose signal.
Actually the newer version of Goggle Maps uploads a much larger area of map data, not just the screen area your looking at, so even if cell connection is lost it can continue to track your position via GPS data. And remember if you ever lose GPS signal you can continue on using cell tower info.

A Garmin has no backup if you lose signal your lost. I would dare say you have a better chance of losing sat data than cell data, at least that's been my experience in large midtown cities like NY.

Again, my wife and I traveled for almost 50 days last spring going cross country and only lost Verizon coverage once at the bottom of Palo Duro Canyon, and the phone still tracked our location no problem via GPS satellite.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote