Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2019, 02:13 PM   #21
E Rod

I had a GMC extended cab with the 6.0 and 3.73 axle ratio. It pulled my Laredo 30 ft ok on flat but a whole different story going uphill or coming downhill. RPM's go up high when climbing a step hill, transmission downshifts and it sound as if either engine or tranny are going to explode. Now I have a 2018 F350 and a 40 ft Alpine that now is a joy to drive. No more white knuckle situations. if possible I would go diesel even if used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck 2018.jpeg
Views:	153
Size:	353.2 KB
ID:	19897  

2021 F350 Lariat Ultimate Pkg,FX4,CC,LB

2017 Alpine 3660FL
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:26 AM   #22
ken56

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Rod View Post
I had a GMC extended cab with the 6.0 and 3.73 axle ratio. It pulled my Laredo 30 ft ok on flat but a whole different story going uphill or coming downhill. RPM's go up high when climbing a step hill, transmission downshifts and it sound as if either engine or tranny are going to explode. Now I have a 2018 F350 and a 40 ft Alpine that now is a joy to drive. No more white knuckle situations. if possible I would go diesel even if used.
That engine is made to rev. I have been in the 5200rpm range going up some long steep grades but the horse power isn't generated unless the RPM's are allowed to go up. Your post sounds like your new truck is a diesel not a gasser seeing you recommend going to a diesel if possible. There is no comparison between a gas and diesel. You are correct though granted, but I myself can't justify the initial purchase price and added maintenance costs. My 6.0 gasser pulls my trailer fine even though it has to rev to get the horse power needed to get up some infrequent long grades.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:52 AM   #23
goducks

I find it interesting that people don't like revving motors. Get in any nice 4cyl car and go for a drive in the mtns. Our Camry 4cyl will rev to 3000-3500 or higher. But do to good sound insulation and the fact that it's only a 4 cyl the sound barely enters the cabin.
Take a newer truck with a V8 and wind it out to 4000 and people think it's going to grenade. When in fact most reach full HP above 4500-5200. If you hardly heard the V8 it wouldn't even be a issue.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:16 PM   #24
Badbart56

It's understood that gas engines make their horsepower at higher RPM's, but it's the way they are designed since they don't generate enough torque to carry the really heavy loads. But after, say, 100K miles of high revving, max load on that gas V-8, you might not want to own it. Not saying they won't live that long or won't get the job done, but the high RPM's take a toll after a while. But if you only put a few thousand hard miles a year on a gasser it shouldn't be an issue. I have towed with both and I prefer to move the loads with that low RPM torque. I have gotten many trouble free, hundreds of thousands of miles with diesels, but I do love the sound of that LS6 in my CTS V revving to 6000 RPM's as I row through the gears on the Tremec T56 6 speed!

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tow, towing