Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2018, 12:51 PM   #1
Wantoride

Ford Ranger towing ability

We currently have an f150 ecbost and pull a keystone 23rb ultralight. We are thinking of trading in the f150 for a new ranger. We don’t pull the trailer as much as we planned and the ford website claims the ranger can handle towing the 23rb. I believe it’s on the edge. I haven’t spoken to any dealers yet, just tossing the idea around. We may trade in the 23rb for a smaller trailer or even a used rv in the future as well. Anybody familiar with the ranger and it’s ability?
Old 11-04-2018, 01:27 PM   #2
Bisjoe

They are not available yet, so not likely anyone has experience with the new Ranger. We had a 2007 Ranger 4.0 V6 and brought home our 24’ 4,000 lb dry trailer with it, but within a few days traded it in for an F150. It wasn’t so much the power as the size, with the trailer being so much longer than the truck, that trip Home was white knuckles all the way, though our Ranger was rated for 6,000 lbs. I wouldn’t want to be that close, and the new Ranger maximum is only 7,500, and only 7” longer than ours was.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:33 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Nobody has any experience with the new Ford Ranger. It may turn out to be a capable RV tow vehicle when used within its rated range or it may turn out to be incapable of towing performance, even though it's rated to be a tow vehicle. There's much more to tow ratings than just "how much the trailer weighs"... If you look at how SAE and design engineers rate tow capacity, it's NOT with a travel trailer strapped to the back of a vehicle, it's with a "mule" that's essentially a flatbed trailer with a specific weight stacked on it. That "mule" may be 14' long and only 4' tall. The "weight" is there and they can test braking capability, cornering with a "low CG trailer" etc, but the aerodynamics, front end size, sidewall/crosswind issues and maneuverability in corning a "high CG trailer" are not even tested.

There's a lot of difference in towing 2 jet skis on a trailer or a ski boat on a trailer (weighing 4000 pounds) and towing a 23' ultra-lite travel trailer that weighs 4000 pounds.

Just because a vehicle is "rated to tow up to 7,500 pounds doesn't necessarily mean it can safely tow a rig that is "outsized from the ratings" or that is "excessively longer than the ratings took into consideration" even though the trailer might weigh less than the maximum tow capacity for the vehicle...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:52 AM   #4
Wantoride

Thanks, I’ll keep it in mind. I’m not up on the latest manufacturing of cars and trucks. I knew the ranger was discontinued a while back but didn’t know this was the first year back
Old 11-05-2018, 03:12 AM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

It's your dollar so therefore it's your choice. But if it was my money I was spending, I would keep the F150. Just my 2 cents.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:27 AM   #6
notanlines

It is a "to each his own" world after all; hence the Toyota and Nissan trucks. I understand from a Ford salesman friend that it is to be a 4 cylinder turbo ten speed, probably due in early 2019. I might let this fly on its own for a year and see if you don't hear Ford whisper about a turbo-6 cylinder due out in a couple years.....you just never know.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:46 AM   #7
thatdjguy

IS the f150 paid for? Why are you considering trading it? Not many people get into a full size and then downgrade from there!
thatdjguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:21 PM   #8
Cbrez

Page 39 in the 2019 RV and Trailer Towing Guide says info for the Ranger will be available next month. Good luck with your search. I had a hard time finding a dealership that convinced me they were knowledgeable about their own towing charts.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...ide_Sep28r.pdf

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:16 PM   #9
goducks

https://autoweek.com/article/trucks/...d-towing-specs
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:13 AM   #10
travelin texans

Simple answer is NO!
It's a small economical pickup for those that need to haul something small OCCASIONALLY!
Will it tow that particular rv, YES, maybe! Will it/can it do safely, HIGHLY DOUBTFUL! Are you willing accept the risk?
When & if you decide to trade, do your own homework on weights & capabilities of the truck & rv, DO NOT ask either salesman, they are there to sell ONLY & don't have a clue as to what either are capable of or care!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, tow, towing