Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2018, 03:59 PM   #1
Bkeadle
Gone Traveling

Power converter

I have a 2017 Fuzion 369. I just fried my battery. So i want to change my converter. Problem is, i dont know where it is. Anyone know where it is?
Bkeadle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:40 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Your converter is probably directly behind (or very close to) the power center. If you can locate your AC circuit breakers and DC fuse panel (behind a dark brown door) the converter is usually right behind that unit.

I'd ask if you know why the battery failed? Was it from lack of water, multiple discharges to "flat dead" or from overcharging? If you have a "maintenance free/deep cycle" RV/Marine battery, don't believe that it's "maintenance free" and don't believe that it's a true "deep cycle" battery. So, if you've experienced the battery being dead multiple times, there may be nothing wrong with your converter/charger, rather the battery was damaged from being completely discharged multiple times. Typically, 12 volt "RV" batteries, used in trailers are not "true deep cycle batteries" and should not be discharged below about 70% and should be recharged immediately after discharge. Leaving a battery on a trailer tongue or in a storage bay, connected to the trailer system and allowing it to completely discharge will "kill" most batteries after 2 or 3 times of allowing that to happen.

So, your converter/charger may not be the "culprit" but it may be the battery, the way it's used, how many times it's been "found dead" and how often you check each cell for acid level......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:13 PM   #3
SC Dreamer

On my 2017 Carbon, it is behind carpeted wall in basement. Found it after taking out white plastic wall behind water hook ups and could see it mounted on wall to furnace on other side.
SC Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:36 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Before just replacing the converter, especially if you think you are going to correct some kind of problem, you need to make sure of that. A converter can
"fry" a battery, but that's highly unlikely with a 2017, multi-stage unit. I would think more along the lines of the battery "fried" because it was without water, or had been low, for some period of time.

As far as where; plug the trailer into AC and listen for the fan...that's where it will be....behind "that" panel
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:42 AM   #5
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Dreamer View Post
On my 2017 Carbon, it is behind carpeted wall in basement. Found it after taking out white plastic wall behind water hook ups and could see it mounted on wall to furnace on other side.
Did you do your converter upgrade yet?

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:15 PM   #6
SC Dreamer

I did actually install a 2000w inverter/charger and disconnect factory converter today. Going to install some usb charging outlets tomorrow and put all my electrical panels back together. Still can't believe there are zero 12v power connections anywhere in the whole camper. Maybe because it has a generator? Also installed Victron battery monitor. Making new 12v cables with 2/0 marine tinned wire was fun! Made them long enough so I can change to 6v when these batteries die. 400w of solar is on the way...
Old 06-16-2018, 05:47 PM   #7
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Dreamer View Post
I did actually install a 2000w inverter/charger and disconnect factory converter today. Going to install some usb charging outlets tomorrow and put all my electrical panels back together. Still can't believe there are zero 12v power connections anywhere in the whole camper. Maybe because it has a generator? Also installed Victron battery monitor. Making new 12v cables with 2/0 marine tinned wire was fun! Made them long enough so I can change to 6v when these batteries die. 400w of solar is on the way...
Nice! I installed a Cllena USB Charger/Voltmeter panel right above the main control panel below the tv. I would love to see pics and details on what you do for your USB chargers, I'd like to put some in the bedroom, but haven't decided how/where exactly.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:08 AM   #8
SC Dreamer

Yes, bedroom tables are on my list once I figure out how to get power up front! I'll take some pics today. There is only one blank spot in my dc fuse box that i am going to use for the same spot, under television. May add a fuse block closer to batteries.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:31 AM   #9
MariettaChuck

SC Dreamer,

I just purchased a Go Power IC 2000 converter charger. I understand how the system works, but I don't know where the factory converter charger is. I see that there is a wired device (looks like a transformer) buried in the fuse panel. Is that it or is it a stand alone piece of equipment?

Thanks!
MariettaChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:38 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Converters are either stand alone and often plugged into the back side of the breaker panel, or integrated in the bottom half of the breaker panel. Can you post a pic?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, power