Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
5arnolds

Campsite length question

I will be purchasing a TT shortly. When making online reservations at either private or state parks, the question is asked what the length of the TT is.

The TT I intend to purchase is listed as having an exterior length of 35' 5. I will assume that this means 35 feet 5 inches.

When I reserve a spot for a TT that is 35' 5, will I be able to reserve a spot that is designated as being able to accommodate a 35' trailer, or will I have to reserve a spot that is 40' since this particular TT is slightly larger than 35'?

I would hate to arrive at a campsite and have a TT that is too large for the site.

Your feedback would be much appreciated.
Dave
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

By the time you add on the length of your hitch (if that isn't included in the stated length), you are probably getting close to 38+ft. When you get the TT, measure the length overall - including hitch, spare tire (if on the bumper) and make your reservations accordingly.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
f6bits

If they’re going by five-foot increments, try for the 40. If 35 is their max, then get 35. Mine’s 29, and I specify that when I reserve. Some state beaches underestimate what they can hold (it’s bigger than they say) and I’ve never had a problem. In many of these places, people can hang over the front or back line a bit and still be ok, though some places are overzealous in their boundary enforcement.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
mhs4771

I generally add a little as we've been given sites where there was just barely room then others will be large enough for 2 units. I would rather err on the long side rather that having the nose out in the road.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #5
cumminsdad08

we only got burned once with a 30 ft trailer, over all about 35 foot, and i blame it totally on my wife she wanted a site close to our friends cabin and it was way to small. i payed 5 bucks more to move to a smaller site. but we made do and just parked the truck in the parking lot, that was close to us any way. generally the sites are split pretty even, once you get over a certain size, they will accomodate most any size trailer. i have had more problems with state parks then private campgrounds. but we usually make do, and have never had to ask for another site. we keep a folder on us at all times and write down sites while we are there for next time. then when we call, or book on-line() we know what we are asking for. it works out great for us.
i see you are from my "area", if you need any advice on the local places, we are glad to help. hope to see you around!!
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
jje1960

Add a little...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I generally add a little as we've been given sites where there was just barely room then others will be large enough for 2 units. I would rather err on the long side rather that having the nose out in the road.
Definitely agree with adding a bit.... I was put in a spot last summer.... was stressed every time a big unit went by... were only inches between our unit on both ends and the units going by! When asked, we always say "40'" now...
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
ktmracer

with older parks I give them my trailer length "tongue to tail" (35') and my overall length (60'). Then I usually ask, "can I get in?" The reason is that in older campgrounds the biggest issue may not be "can I fit in the site" It may be "can I even get to the site on the road" or once at the site "can I get the trailer in" regardless of site length. Tight turns and narrow roads with a 30+' bumper pull can turn into a real challenge, especially when the sites are a right angle to the road with trees on both sides.

At one state park, when I called, they said, "these are the sites you can fit in, and when you arrive let us know, you will only be able to get in if you go backwards, against traffic". They were right, when we arrived, we went backwards got in and out ok, but if we would have tried to go with traffic there was one sharp turn before the site with trees on both sides with MANY scrape marks on them.

I try to get sites listed at 45' or longer, makes it easy to park the truck, but again on older campgrounds, just because a site is listed at 50' or 60' doesn't mean you can get a 30' trailer to and into the site!

Some state/federal campgrounds will list the max trailer/MH/5th wheel length allowed, and if so, it often is because of limitations based on the campground roads and layout, it is wise to watch them once your bumper pull trailer is in the 30+' range.

One other thing I have observed is that if the site is a full hookup site, more than likely getting my rig @ 60' overall around or into a site isn't likely to be an issue. But if the campground is primative (no electric/sewer) that's a clue to really look further at site access. usually an indication of an older campground designed in the days of tents and small trailers.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote