Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2023, 03:44 PM   #1
Camping family

Picking up new camper

We will be picking up our new to use 2021 mountains 3761fl this weekend. Prior to picking it up I’m going to tell the dealer they need to update the maintenance because who knows what the prior owners had done or not done. Sanitize fresh water tanks. Re pack bearings, clean and treat roof. Sanitize refrigerator ice maker line. I will be doing a complete pdi and have already told dealer no paperwork will be signed until everything that was found needing repair is done.
Other then the about items anything else I should have them do?
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 04:09 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

This won't be all inclusive I'm afraid (getting ready to cook some fish) but what about the batteries? I would have them install new ones with the price I'm thinking. Tires? Brand/wear/age? Spare? On that bearing repack I would tell them to make sure the bearings are in good shape or replace them (they don't cost that much), or, just put new ones in when they repack.
LOOK at the roof before accepting if they are going to clean and treat it. Those guys love to swing those brooms scrubbing the top and tear up the sealant, bang the vents/covers etc. Look at what they did to "seal" the edges; saw one earlier this year that the techs "sealed" with some sort of thick looking paint material (it looked like), the owner said it looked like some kind of paint can - they should remove damaged sealant and put new on.
Do a good PDI, make them make everything...everything, work for you. Good luck and congrats.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 04:10 PM   #3
Camping family

Okay did the walkthrough today of our 2021 2761fl Montana. all went good to my surprise everything I asked to be done and then some was completed. They replace both batteries, packed n replaced wheel bearings, completely cleaned n waxed the outside along with the roof and sealed with uv protector. Changed ac filter in both ac’s cleaned n flushed both gray n black tanks. Sanitized the water system. During walkthrough that took 2 1/2 hrs didn’t find but a few minor items and they were taken care of. They also replace the mattress with a band new one. Tech said in NC you can’t sell a used camper without putting in a new mattress. True or not I don’t know but they put in a new one. Camper will be delivered on Monday.
Only decision now is to get extended warranty or not. I’m thinking no and save the money if I need something replaced
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 04:32 PM   #4
RV Vacation
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
Okay did the walkthrough today of our 2021 2761fl Montana. all went good to my surprise everything I asked to be done and then some was completed. They replace both batteries, packed n replaced wheel bearings, completely cleaned n waxed the outside along with the roof and sealed with uv protector. Changed ac filter in both ac’s cleaned n flushed both gray n black tanks. Sanitized the water system. During walkthrough that took 2 1/2 hrs didn’t find but a few minor items and they were taken care of. They also replace the mattress with a band new one. Tech said in NC you can’t sell a used camper without putting in a new mattress. True or not I don’t know but they put in a new one. Camper will be delivered on Monday.
Only decision now is to get extended warranty or not. I’m thinking no and save the money if I need something replaced

Congratulations on your new to you camper.

I am not a fan of extended warranties. Heard too many horror stories of warranties not being honored.

There is an advantage to buying pre-owned in that most flaws have already revealed themselves and hopefully been fixed.

Did I mention we were going for the front living until my wife did a walk through on a rear kitchen. So much for the fantastic home theater in the front living.

Be well and safe travels.

John
RV Vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 07:27 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post

Congrats and sounds great. Look at that mattress. If they threw it in it may be the one I gave them from this trailer because I won't have an OE mattress. Just kidding. That is what I did with this one and have no idea where the new one from it went...they may do the same thing. If so a new OE mattress isn't any better than an old OE mattress IMO.

Extended warranty. Until the last 2 trailers I never had one, wanted one or thought about one. The last 2 trailers the warranty has paid for itself in quick order (still have 4 years left on this one). Had a new 15k A/C installed in March with the warranty because the OE failed. $2800 and I paid for freight (150). It's a catch 22 for sure and many times you don't get your money's worth. But, I pay a fortune for car insurance premiums and have never used it....so what's the difference?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote