Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2023, 04:47 AM   #1
grizwilson

Best Hitch for Cougar 24RDS

We are trading trucks (from 2009 chevy 2500 to 2024 2500 crew short bed) currently we are running a reese slider (have never needed to slide) it works great but is very heavy to take out and put back in when bed space is needed. I see these lighter weight hitches. Our truck with be the short bed. Would like thoughts? Thanks
grizwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 07:16 AM   #2
Canonman

Been using the Anderson Ultimate since 2016. Lightweight, easy to remove and reinstall w/o help. No turning radius problems with our Ram short bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL7785.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	329.9 KB
ID:	43595  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 08:23 AM   #3
dutchmensport

You might want to check out the Demco Recon hitches: Click here.

If you go with the non-slider, the entire assembly (not including the hitch rails) weighs about 80 pounds and it comes apart in 3 sections if you want to remove it that way. I can lift the entire thing, but because of the bulk size, I can't. With a second person, there's no problem at all. Mostly, I go ahead and take it apart in 2 sections (the head and the base) and I can handle both with no problems that way. It has adjustable height, and can actually get pretty high to adjust for bed rail clearance.

I've never worked with the slider version, and I can't find any information on how heavy the complete assembly is.

I've been very happy with mine. No issues at all in almost 5 years now.

At least, give this one a consideration before you make a final selection.

And I "think" Demco has a version that adapts to the Puck system now too.
Old 04-23-2023, 10:02 AM   #4
sierraman68

I echo the recommendation on the Demco Recon. I am pulling a Cougar 25RES which is basically the same size as the 24RDS with a Ford F250 with the 6'8" bed and have never been in a situation where I felt like a slider was even close to being needed. Even though you can break the Recon in to 3 parts for handling and removal: breaking mine into two parts for easy removal and storage work for me.
Old 04-23-2023, 10:34 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Keep in mind that Lippert, the Cougar frame manufacturer has a statement in the warranty that using the Andersen hitch will void the frame warranty. There is only one "gooseneck type hitch" that is approved for use with the Lippert fifth wheel chassis used by Keystone. Using any other brand may result in warranty repair refusal "down the road"....

If your Cougar structural warranty is important to you, I'd urge you to do your own research on the Lippert position on use of the Andersen hitch. If you're unwilling to get "caught in the middle of warranty denials" then maybe not using an Andersen hitch until your Lippert chassis warranty expires might be one solution.

Keystone sent a memo to all their dealers stating, "Any Anderson Goose Neck Adapters installed after March 15, 2021, will not be eligible for warranty
consideration."

Here's the Lippert position on any gooseneck type hitch:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LIPPERT Dealer Memo re Goose Neck Adapter.pdf (106.8 KB, 194 views)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 01:07 PM   #6
hondapro87

The B&W Companion is a great hitch.
hondapro87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 01:39 PM   #7
NH_Bulldog

I have been researching hitches and B&W Patriot or Demco Recon for bed mounted rails are both made in the USA and both highly rated. B&W Companion or Demco Recon for goose ball or puck system are also well-regarded. My brother has an Anderson Ultimate goose ball mount frame to haul his Fuzion Impact 367 and seems to like it, but the warranty issue is a concern.

I have read of some issues with the goose ball mounted frames where the base can rotate in the bed and also concerns over performance of the Anderson king pin adapter in an accident.

I don’t have the 5th wheel prep in my truck and adding the OEM under bed puck system is prohibitively expensive and time consuming (the bed has to be removed to install the kit). Adding an aftermarket turnover ball is a little less resource intensive, but I am not sure I want everything depending on that single mounting point.

So for my purposes, I am going with the in-bed mounting rails and the B&W Patriot. I don’t care about not having a 100% flat surface in the bed of the truck if/when the hitch assembly is removed.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 06:45 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Just my thoughts; if I had to have a 300lb. hitch to have a 5th wheel I would not own one (5th wheel trailer). If I had to have a 250lb. hitch to own one I wouldn't. I own the Andersen and have been more than pleased. The hitch in the gitalong is the Lippert denial of warranty. Mine fell in prior to their cutoff but it has been of no concern. I would double think using one with the new warranty denial they put out - not because of any concern with the hitch.

After excluding what the letter talks about you are left with a Reese Goose Box (pin adapter) or some form of hitch that utilizes the regular 5th wheel pin box but then may adapt to the ball in the bed of the truck. Demco Recon does this and may be a good fit for you while retaining your warranty. Get the factory puck system on the truck, you won't regret it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 05:12 AM   #9
tallen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Been using the Anderson Ultimate since 2016. Lightweight, easy to remove and reinstall w/o help. No turning radius problems with our Ram short bed.

I am pulling a Cougar 25RDS also, with a Ford F250 with the short bed and with the Anderson Ultimate, I felt like a slider was needed. This is all just MOHO.

Side note I saw a Blue Ox has a hitch out that is just like the Anderson, but it uses the king pin, and is all steel, so it will have some weight to it (122lbs), but not that 3 or 400lbs. IT has different setup ways, puck, rails, just goose neck ball. This was not out when I got my Anderson. I think I would have look at this if it was out when I got mine.
2005 F250 6.0L 4x4 Diesel SRW

tallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 06:12 AM   #10
peanut

I might as well chime in, too. I (and others on the site) use the Pullrite #2600 single point (gooseball) attachment hitch. Is a lightweight, multi-part, all steel hitch that is similar to the Andersen except that the ball is attached to the kingpin and drops into a socket in the hitch - - just the opposite of the Andersen. It is easy for one person to handle (I'm 76 and have no trouble) and is in-and-out of the truck in minutes. They also make a rail mount version. I use it in a standard bed truck, no problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap 2023-04-24 at 07.09.46.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	43618  

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 08:14 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I might as well chime in, too. I (and others on the site) use the Pullrite #2600 single point (gooseball) attachment hitch. Is a lightweight, multi-part, all steel hitch that is similar to the Andersen except that the ball is attached to the kingpin and drops into a socket in the hitch - - just the opposite of the Andersen. It is easy for one person to handle (I'm 76 and have no trouble) and is in-and-out of the truck in minutes. They also make a rail mount version. I use it in a standard bed truck, no problem.

I looked at the Pullrite when I was thinking I had to do something about the Andersen. The letter from Keystone/Lippert said that any hitch that used an adapter on the kingpin would void the warranty going forward unless it was the Reese Goose Box - that would include the Pullrite. My interpretation was that it limited hitch choices to regular 5th wheel hitches, Reese Goose Box or some kind of hitch attached to the ball in the bed but still used the regular 5th wheel kingpin on the trailer - it only spoke to "kingpin adapters" and not adapters to ball in the bed. I do like the Pullrite but since the OP has a '23 model trailer the structural warranty may be something he wants to maintain.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 03:46 PM   #12
CougarDaddy

I highly recommend the B&W companion hitch, I have been very happy. I got the non-slider to save payload and have not felt like I needed the slider personally.
CougarDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 04:59 PM   #13
RollaMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondapro87 View Post
The B&W Companion is a great hitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CougarDaddy View Post
I highly recommend the B&W companion hitch, I have been very happy. I got the non-slider to save payload and have not felt like I needed the slider personally.
B&W Companion here also. Yes, it is heavy though.
But still not that bad, as it comes out in two pieces (Head and Base).

2019 GMC 2500HD standard bed, with Cougar 24RDS.
Non-Slider, and I haven't even came close to any turning limit with this setup.

Just an FYI, as I think some might not understand exactly how it mounts in the bed.
It uses the B&W turnover "system", but it does not use the actual ball to mount.
You remove the turnover ball (Pull the rod, and hitch ball slides out).
Then the base has a long square shaft that goes back into the square hole left when ball was removed.
Re-Engage the rod on the side and torque the bolt down.
It can't "rotate", since the square shaft is in a square hole.
This thing is built like a tank with very heavy duty steel.
Old 04-27-2023, 05:18 PM   #14
Cowbell

B & W Companion is great. I have puck mount. It easily comes apart in 2 parts, easy in, easy out. Pricing is reasonable.
Cowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 08:00 PM   #15
vampress_me

I have to second (third? fourth?) the B&W Companion on the turnover ball. It has been a great hitch for the past 9 years.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 03:35 AM   #16
grizwilson

Thanks to everyone, still looking. Contacted Camping World as they tried to sell me the Anderson....I shared the memo from this thread and was told "...that was changed about a year ago..." SO, I contacted LCI, they said "LCI does not advise or endorse the use of any adapters or extensions to be used on the kingpin of our pin boxes. The use of this may cause damage to the upper deck or suspension of the coach or to the pinbox. If this were to be used and were to cause damage to the coach or pin box LCI would not be able to assist on the repairs to the unit or pin box."
Old 06-07-2023, 03:38 AM   #17
grizwilson

Now trying to figure out the puc system as the truck has the package. Are the Ford GM the same footprint?? Looking at several used in my area at about 1/2 half cost, BW, Demco and Curt. Would like it to attach to ball or set in puc system. Help??
Old 06-07-2023, 03:54 AM   #18
RollaMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizwilson View Post
Now trying to figure out the puc system as the truck has the package. Are the Ford GM the same footprint?? Looking at several used in my area at about 1/2 half cost, BW, Demco and Curt. Would like it to attach to ball or set in puc system. Help??
No, they are not the same footprint.
Ford, GM, and Ram all have different PUCK footprints.

The actual head is the same, but you need to get the correct base for your truck manufacturers PUCK system.
Old 06-07-2023, 04:52 AM   #19
grizwilson

does anyone know if the BW will attach to the gooseneck ball in my truck or does it require the square turnover ball mount?
Old 06-07-2023, 05:16 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizwilson View Post
Thanks to everyone, still looking. Contacted Camping World as they tried to sell me the Anderson....I shared the memo from this thread and was told "...that was changed about a year ago..." SO, I contacted LCI, they said "LCI does not advise or endorse the use of any adapters or extensions to be used on the kingpin of our pin boxes. The use of this may cause damage to the upper deck or suspension of the coach or to the pinbox. If this were to be used and were to cause damage to the coach or pin box LCI would not be able to assist on the repairs to the unit or pin box."
I would think, based on this post, that you've already excluded the dealership as having any ability to provide accurate information regarding their product and their ability to support what they sell.....

It further supports the often stated comment: "If the salesman's lips are moving......"

Are there any other dealerships around the area that might also sell the same trailer line ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, hitch