Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2023, 08:04 AM   #21
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
This 20 degF across the unit is inside temperatures and has nothing to do with outside temperature. Have the fan running on high for at least 10 minutes before you measure.

Also do NOT use an infrared sensor to read air temperature. These infrared or "laser" sensors read heat radiated from solid surfaces. WHat you will read is the ceiling vent or the duct. Use a bulb type thermometer or a thermocouple stuck in the air stream.

Also check the voltage and amperage into the unit .

Ken
Some other factors that influence the temperature split between the intake and discharge vents is, a moisture saturated evaporator coil that impedes heat/cold transfer. Fan speed also has an effect on the temperature split. The faster air passes over the evaporate coil, there is less time for heat/cold exchange. In more advanced designed cooling systems incorporating dynamic metering of refrigerant (TXV), a higher blower speed can induce a greater flow of refrigerant to the evaporator. As noted by Ken in the quote above, the maximum interior temperature that can be achieved is a balancing act of heat entering the camper versus heat being ejected. Poor ducting can also impede the process.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 11:20 AM   #22
Alibaddy

Airflow issues

I have seen lots of great advice regarding ducted a/c on Keystone units. We have a 2021 360RL with a 15,000 BTU rear A/C and a 13,500 BTU front A/C. I haven't had a chance to remove the two units on the roof to inspect the ducting, but I discovered that the four air returns on the ceiling had collapsed styrofoam totally blocking return air. I was able to cut approximately 2 inch lengths of 3/4" PVC pipe and position them over the screws that hold the flange in place. You can hear the air flow now. The inlet vents on the ceiling were blocked by foil tape that had shifted or was poorly applied, as others have pointed out. I did the repair a bit differently. I removed the vent, removed all tape, and then remounted the vent, cutting away any styrofoam protruding into the opening with a very sharp knife. Then, instead of trying to go around the circumference with one length of foil tape, I used a roll 3 inches wide, and cut pieces about 1 1/4" wide. I stuck these inside the vent, up about 1/4" from the bottom, so the louver can turn freely, and folded them over the styrofoam. I worked my way around each vent with 8 or 9 of these pieces of foil tape. The task took longer, but I believe these will stay out of the air flow, and there is no restriction at all. Hopefully going down the road won't cause an issue.
Alibaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 08:53 AM   #23
Rick58

Air Conditioner-Ducts

This was a brand new Trailer, No way to tell chipmunks tore the Duct work which makes the cold air leak into the ceiling void. No way to tell in April how much cold Air was coming out. They have had the Trailer for a month figuring out to tear the roof off or inside ceiling. Buy a brand new Trailer and have to deal with this, Just a constant run around
Rick58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 11:09 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick58 View Post
This was a brand new Trailer, No way to tell chipmunks tore the Duct work which makes the cold air leak into the ceiling void. No way to tell in April how much cold Air was coming out. They have had the Trailer for a month figuring out to tear the roof off or inside ceiling. Buy a brand new Trailer and have to deal with this, Just a constant run around
You should not be facing a "run around" with this kind of issue. That said, a month is not an extremely long time to get "Keystone warranty instructions" from the factory.

When you consider that the month in the shop likely consisted of it sitting for a week or so before they pulled it into the service bay, then time to write up the report to send to Keystone, administrative time there, then time for the dealership and Keystone to formulate a plan (or attempt to formulate one), for all that to occur, a month is not an "unexpected length of time"...

Granted, I feel your frustration with buying new and facing this kind of problem, but.....

You might want to contact Keystone, discuss your disappointment "OBJECTIVELY and without name calling or emotional concerns" and see what their plan to repair your trailer includes". Seems right now, you're talking about 3rd hand info written by Keystone, read by someone at the dealership, told to you by someone else that asked the reader what was written.... Getting the "first hand instructions from Keystone will give you the real expectations".

You deserve a serviceable trailer without leaking A/C ductwork. The factory "owes" that to you and the dealership needs to either repair the trailer or tell the factory the work is beyond their ability to perform.

Keystone "owes" you the correct as of the day you talk to them, status and plan to repair your trailer AND the time line on when you can expect your trailer to be returned to you in "serviceable, undamaged condition".

Talk to Keystone and see what they say.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 02:01 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick58 View Post

You tagged into someone else's thread making it difficult to follow what is going on. People responding to the OP and you responding to them will throw folks off.

When did you buy the trailer? How long did you have it prior to finding the damage? When did you take it into the dealer? Have they agreed to repair the damages and now the question is going back to the factory or tearing out the ceiling? Hard to tell.

A month waiting on a substantial repair to be approved is not that long. Wait until they take it in for the actual repairs. That's the way the RV model works. As John mentioned you need to call Keystone Owner Relations/Customer Service and get the straight information (as straight as they can give you). If the dealership has never done the kinds of repair that is required I wouldn't want to be their first attempt - might turn out stellar and might not. I would have a heart to heart with whoever is over their repair facility to get a feel of that. First, you need to figure out the status of the warranty approval.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner