Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2023, 01:12 PM   #1
grvspn

Carbon 398…big rolling turd!

Without a doubt the worst purchase of my life. From day 1 we have had issues with this brand new unit we purchased in Dec 2021.

For starters the Onan 5500 generator is undersized for 2 AC units and the convenience plugs for the camper. We can only run one of the 2 units, if we run both the generator stalls out…wanted a nice walk in shower but didn’t think it was going to be due to having a sweat lodge on 6 wheels.

2nd problem, we purchased from camping world Greenwood, IN. Talk about a bunch of flat out worthless individuals…have had the camper and n 3 times for generator issues. ..really defeats the purpose of owning a camper if it’s in the shop all the time !

Third problem…wireless prewire not installed,, gauges don’t work, refrigerator doesn’t work well ( camping world serviced as well) and not cold, the connex system is junk as well as the outdated (2021) non smart TV that is standard.

For 111,000, save your money,, this is like having sandpaper for toilet paper….giant POS save your money!
grvspn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 01:53 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

First, Welcome to the forum
Second, Sorry about your problems
Third, You're preaching to the wrong choir. You see, 90% of the people who are active on this forum own a Keystone RV and they are satisfied with (or very happy with) their RV choice.

It's more or less "counterproductive" to come on a forum of Keystone owners and tell them "Don't buy a Keystone"

Wouldn't you think that just maybe, you'd get a much better reception if you approached your "audience" with just a bit of understanding about who you're talking to ???

Again, welcome to the forum, You might want to check the thread located at this link: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...highlight=poll Granted, the poll is 11 years old, but having read EVERY post on this forum for the past 10 years, I'm convinced the vast majority of active members feel very much the same today as they did in the poll at the link.

In conclusion, take a look at the community rules for our forum. They're accessed by scrolling down to the blue bar at the bottom of every forum webpage and clicking on the appropriate tab. Please take note of the section titled "Customer Disputes". Hopefully you'll find it helpful.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 02:40 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Being an RV tech for more than 11 years, and having worked at more than 1 dealership I can say without ANY RESERVATION that the DEALER is key. It’s not that KEYSTONE builds junk, every brand and model has issues. It’s how the dealer handles it.

Maybe your frustration is directed at the wrong group….just sayin.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 04:35 PM   #4
LadyCPA

Chuckster you are so right. We love our Raptor 362. The dealer we bought it from, not so much. But Keystone has told us that based on the distance to our dealership, they would pay for a mobile tech, which we will do. But we have also invested in some owner training from Lippert, so that even if we can't fix it, we do understand the basics of how it works.
Columbia SC
LadyCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 06:25 PM   #5
vampress_me

“ For starters the Onan 5500 generator is undersized for 2 AC units and the convenience plugs for the camper. We can only run one of the 2 units, if we run both the generator stalls out…”

I don’t know what A/C units you have, but that doesn’t sound correct. We have an Onan 5500 generator in our Paradigm. We can run all 3 of our A/C’s with it, plus the frig (camper frig) with no issue. The A/Cs are Coleman Mach 13.5 units that draw 11-12 amps each.

We did have an issue at 9,000ft elevation when we first got the Paradigm and the generator would not run well. We discovered the propane supply line was kinked and not allowing enough propane to the genny at that altitude. Since that was fixed, no issues. Maybe a kinked supply line could be part of the issue with yours?

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 04:21 PM   #6
firestation12

I would agree that the television installed in my 2019 Alpine lacked “smart” connectivity features, but that was fixed with a quick trip to Costco. Most persons buying a new RV have a special preference for a sleeping mattress and keystone doesn’t spend a lot of money on the standard one provided. I’m guessing the deal that Camping World made you ($111K) wasn’t anywhere close to what some shopping around could have saved you. I would have liked to. Have been the “fly on the wall” to listen to sales pitch. You may have been slightly over promised about a few things. I’m not familiar with what “prewire for wireless” is about. That sounds like a conflict of terms, kinda like canned dehydrated water. Maybe someone can enlighten me about that one. One thing I’ve come to know is owning an RV is a years long learning experience at best. Every time that camper is moved, it undergoes the equivalent of an earthquake. I hope you can get passed the buyer’s remorse and have many of the positive experiences that people on this forum have enjoyed. You’ll find lots great help, yours for the asking. Welcome to the forum!
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 09:36 PM   #7
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
I’m not familiar with what “prewire for wireless” is about. That sounds like a conflict of terms, kinda like canned dehydrated water. Maybe someone can enlighten me about that one.
I suspect I know. The OP purchased Keystone's ceiling-mounted WiFi router and antenna option. I've seen several posts on this and other boards to the tune of, "I opened the ceiling hatch where the prewire was supposed to be, and it wasn't there. I looked around with a scope and found it way over by the wall. The cabling was too complicated to extend, so I cut another hole near the wiring and installed it there." I never did understand why the factory was selling an option that the customer had to complete the equipment installation, but apparently they do or did.
Old 09-17-2023, 06:16 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Some "facts as I see them":

Original Poster joined this forum at 5:10 on 9/15/2023
OP made his only post in this thread at 5:12 on 9/15/2023 (2 minutes after joining the forum)
OP logged off this forum at 5:13 on 9/15/2023 and has not logged on again.

My "observations":

The OP is obviously unhappy with his purchase.
The OP appears to be on a "crusade" to tell the internet his side of the issue.
He apparently joined the forum, made a relative lengthy post in a 2 minute window and then logged off the forum.
He has not logged on since then (a "one and only visit") although he may have viewed the comments without logging on if he knows how to do that.

So, I'd suspect that he joined, posted a "one and only post" that was a "canned comment" via a "cut and paste" to the comments box (it's difficult to compose the amount of comments he posted in an "think about it as you type" kind of post in a 2 minute time frame, then he logged off the forum...

I hope I'm incorrect, but I'd suspect that we've seen the last of this "unhappy with his trailer and dealer" new member. He never asked for help, never logged on to see if there were suggestions to help, so IMO, this thread was intended to be a "one way conversation about his frustration with his purchase".....

It might be beneficial to wait and see if he returns to the forum to "engage in meaningful solutions" rather than continue posting comments to this "complaint thread". YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	membership info.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	45158  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote