Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
gottago

camping on sand

I hope you can give a little advice. We are making plans to camp for extended stay at a beachside campground that seems to have sand where you park the trailer - no concrete. we have always had gravel, hard pack dirt, grass etc.

what would you experienced beach campers recommend we plan on bringing? sand pads for jacks? size? etc.

looking forward to hearing the suggestions

thanks in advance
gottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
jq1031

We've stayed in a few CG's that have had a sand base & sand all around usually mixed with patches of grass. I use jack pads under the stabalizers as well as a block of wood under the tongue jack. This past summer at the Jersey Shore we vowed never again! We could not keep the sand out of the TT no matter what we did. I suggest you bring a vacumn cleaner to help with that problem along with a good broom. Good luck!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
cumminsdad08

we stayed at the beach for about 5 days this summer, and i used/have wide and tall blocking under the stabalizers. i used a very wide board under the trailer jack, and parked all the tires on those level blocks from wally world. (of course leveled it too, but made sure each tire had one under it). i don't usually try to make the trailer taller, but figured it would work better then then the tire alone. i checked the level i think on day 4 and it droped a little on the front end, but not much. i think it was the rain we had the night before. didn't notice any more movement in the trailer then usual. as for traking sand in, we used the rug outside, one of those all season grass carpet things, cut to fit on the first step, and a rug right inside the door. seemed to work well. only sand we found came from the kids brining it in with there toys( and in there diapers and under-roo's). good luck and have fun. we also kept the vacume charged and ready to go at all times.(nothing unusual there)
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
Ron

Not only blocks of wood under stabilizers and jacks, we put down a plastic tarp under our entry matt at all camp sites to keep the dirt, sand, moisture from going through the matt, definetly helps keep the interior cleaner, hope this helps...........Happy Campin.............Ron
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
pol1122

Some on gave me a suggestion to prevent sand from get into your rig, they said that they would put a small shallow bowl/pan with water in it next to the steps. You just step into the pan with water then step on to a small rug/carpet to dry off your feet before going in. They said it kept most of the sand from getting.
pol1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:53 AM   #6
rjsurfer

I often wonder why camper manufacturers don't put the outside shower assembly somewhere near the entrance door? usually it's on the other side of the camper.

It would make it easy to hose stuff off before entering.

Just a thought.....

Ron W.

P.S. Now that I think about it I could get a longer shower hose and run it under the camper and keep it hung by the entrance steps.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Keystone did put the showerhead next to the exterior bathroom door, one of the many points that sold us on the 303 tg.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote