Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
cumminsdad08

Bunk Beds & Little Ones

my wifes grandpartens use to have a perm. site at lickdale. i use to work just up the road from there and when i was younger i use to four wheel right behind it, and it was always nice from what i could tell. only draw back is it floods like crazy. my wife does there insurance, and she says they have like 3 or 4 diff. policys to cover it. they just re did all the sites and added concrete pads so they are trying to clean it up a bit. it is only like 15 min away from my place, if you get in the area let me know. i have never been to eagles peak so this is the first time for me, i hear good things so we are excited. we got two kids, and i think we can make it work out. our TT has a large slide with the dinette and the couch on it so it really opens the floor up for them to pile the toys in it. i have been bringing it home to work on it (ok play with it) and try to figure it out, and they just can't stay out of it. so i think we will be alright. only thing i don't know is what i am going to do with my daughter, she is about 18 months old and my boy is 3. we gave him the bottom bunk and i built a step so he can climb in it, but i don't really want to put my daughter in the top bunk cause of her trying to climb down and falling. so i guess we are going to set up a small pack and play and see how that goes, but i think that it will block the bathroom, so i don't know what we are going to do yet. i wish i could find a baby gate that is small enough to fit in between the walls then i could "trap" her in there, but i haven't seen any yet.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
wozzukes

Our daughter will be 18 months old at the end of the month. In this trailer I just bought a bed rail to put on the bottom bunk which I think will work well enough. In our old trailer the back bunks went along the bathroom, so the opening to them was only about 3 feet wide or so, so a bed rail didn't work. What I did in that camper is bought two small shower stall curtain tension rods and then just sewed some fabric to go around them. It worked, but she wouldn't really sleep back there and wasn't as much of a climber last summer as she is now so I'm not sure how it would work for you. She always ended up in our bed, but she was a terrible sleeper to begin with until her first birthday. I'm hoping now that she's a bit older and sleeps better that camping will be a bit easier with her.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
cumminsdad08

our bed is out of the question, i will sleep in the truck before that happens, but our TT is set up like that too. we used our inlaws old colmen 24 footer last year and they have bunks set up like that and we put her in the top bunk and stuffed a bunch of pillows and blankets up there and that worked, but then she was only 6 months if that, now she is crawling and walking around so that is what scares me, but the shower curtian thing might work. she isn't really gutsy with stuff, real cautious. only started walking on her own a few months ago. so i don't think that she would try to climb out, but i don't want to take the chance, espacially if i am "out of network" for insurance. we half thought about putting our boy up there but he is in his independent stage and can hardly crawl in the bottom one, plus he is in the day bed currently, so he is kinda use to coming and going as he pleases, and i really want to make them feel more at home in the camper at this point, i think it would be better for all of us in the long run.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Old 04-10-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
Dave and Lynn

How about a net made out of a cargo safety net that you could tack on the frame, leaving one area open for her to get in and out of, closing the open end with velcro once she is in? I have seen things like this at shows, but have never seen them for sale. If you understand what I am talking about though, I think it would be pretty easy to make.
Good Luck!
Dave and Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Amatuber

I built a railing that spanned across the Dinette table ... that could be removed when the kids (twins) weren't sleeping there that's when they were 2-12 months old ... then we went to the pack and plays up to 18 months ... now we have a new trailer with bunk beds, and i am looking for solutions as well.
Amatuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
cumminsdad08

I have been thinking of a railing that will fill the hole, actually like two of them with verticals on them. i but i haven't figured a way to make it easy to remove, but be secure in place. i really haven't put a whole lot of thought into it, mainly cause she doesn't really grow, still about 19 lbs, maybe a little over two feet tall, and my sister gave me a small pack and play that fits really nice infront of the sofa, and you still have a lot of room to get around her without waking her up, so for now, it works. i don't really see her growing out of it untill next year, plus she is use to pack and plays, so leave well enough alone. BUT i know eventually i will have to come up with something, but everything usually works out, one way or another.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix