Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2018, 09:56 AM   #1
Chaos1

Shower valve upgrade

Help...Has anyone upgraded there shower we used the original one our first weekend trip it is garbage so i installed a single handle one for this weekends trip same results either you burn or freeze does anyone have any recommendations please help want to get it done before we leave on a 2 week trip,
Thanks Terry and Elaine
2018 Bullet Premier 26 RBPR
Chaos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:34 AM   #2
Triple GGG

Oxygenics shower heads. Amazon has many different styles and colors. Learned of these on forum when we had a motorhome. We just got our Keystone Sprinter and I had one of these ordered before the ink was dry on bill of sale.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:52 AM   #3
Frank G

You need to think this through, There are literally hundreds of thousands of showers taken in RV units every day. The mixing valve as provided is not the greatest, but it works. It is NOT a temperature limiting nor thermostatically regulated mixing valve.

In our RV with city water and a Pressure regulator we open the hot and cold fully and throttle back a little on the cold. They are all a little different.

If you absolutely have no control you have issues but I would think they are not in the mixing valve. The first question I would ask is, if you turn on the hot water fully will it stay hot? if you then turn on the cold water fully (with the hot on full) will you get temped water?

What I am eluding to is the many reports of the hot water bypass in the wrong position or improperly plumbed water heater on new unites.

If you installed a residential mixing valve it may be temperature limiting and not set correctly.

Lastly, is the outside shower mixing valve on and the attached sprayer turned off? Do you have a washer with a common mixing hose? Looking for a cross connection.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:55 AM   #4
busterbrown

My resolution to the "too hot" and "too cold" shower conditions was to replace the OEM plastic shower diverter with a quarter turn unit (dual handles). Adjustments are precise and temps aren't a guessing game. See below.

If you're boondocking and using the showerhead shutoff/trickle valve, the 3 second blast of cold water won't be cured by changing head units or diverter. I've read that some RV owners have retrofitted check valves on each hot and cold water line close to the diverter, to minimize the cold water squirt.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...3&postcount=13
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:57 AM   #5
Triple GGG

My bad on suggesting just shower head. Reread your post and see your burn or freezing was the issue.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:08 AM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Great advice so far from all. Need more input from OP

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:34 AM   #7
Chaos1

Upgraded to Oxygenics shower head as well, have hot and cold water when turn them but almost impossible to get temperature to stay constant hot water bypass not installed yet I think what i am looking for is an upgraded mixing valve any suggestions (an RV Moentrol would be nice) Thanks for the help
Old 06-03-2018, 01:13 PM   #8
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

The bypass is on your water heater and is a part of your winterization process. You were being asked if you turned the bypass off or maybe left it in bypass mode. Doing this would not give you hot water. Just cold as the water would be bypassing the WH. This is a camper, not a sticks and bricks. The mixture is done by adjusting the valves. They are not as forgiving as at home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos1 View Post
Upgraded to Oxygenics shower head as well, have hot and cold water when turn them but almost impossible to get temperature to stay constant hot water bypass not installed yet I think what i am looking for is an upgraded mixing valve any suggestions (an RV Moentrol would be nice) Thanks for the help

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:31 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

How are you using the shower? Are you turning it off and on when showering? I leave mine on the entire time I'm in the shower and have zero problems with fluctuation with temps. I have had, in the past, a blast of cold/hot water when using the cutoff valve while showering trying to save hot water. We don't have to do that in this one. Is that what you are doing?

Once you set the mix of water you shouldn't have much of a fluctuation unless you have someone else in the RV turning water on here and there, or, as I frequently do, bump one of the handles with my elbow

Edit: here is one individual's method of trying to eliminate the surges of cold water.
https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/how...our-rv-shower/
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:26 PM   #10
Chaos1

We are using the shower as per normal operation using the shut off its not that little bit of cold when we start to rinse off its the shower valve that is very touchy
Old 06-03-2018, 02:34 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

If I am understanding; you are using the shower by cutting the water on and off with the valve but you're not talking about the little bit of cold water that comes out after turning it on; it's the shower valve handles that turn the water off and on? If so, and they're that finicky I would head to an RV center and purchase a new valve...or Amazon or..?? I have a brand new Dura faucet that I got right before we went to FL and I didn't have time to put in....then, found it's just like mine only chrome so it gets to go on the "stuff" shelf.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:18 PM   #12
cpaulsen

Tossed my junk single handle faucet and went to the 2 handle from DuraFaucet.......easy to regulate the temp and flow now.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:29 PM   #13
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
Tossed my junk single handle faucet and went to the 2 handle from DuraFaucet.......easy to regulate the temp and flow now.
I agree...
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:10 PM   #14
geeman

shower valve replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
My resolution to the "too hot" and "too cold" shower conditions was to replace the OEM plastic shower diverter with a quarter turn unit (dual handles). Adjustments are precise and temps aren't a guessing game. See below.

If you're boondocking and using the showerhead shutoff/trickle valve, the 3 second blast of cold water won't be cured by changing head units or diverter. I've read that some RV owners have retrofitted check valves on each hot and cold water line close to the diverter, to minimize the cold water squirt.

How did you get behind the wall to get to the mounting nuts to replace the faucet??
geeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:05 AM   #15
Chaos1

Mine has a plate that attaches to the wall of shower 4 screws and a little bit of silicone
Old 06-14-2018, 07:19 AM   #16
Bob Landry

Get rid of the one-way valve on the water heater, replace it with a pipe nipple, and install a second valve for winterizing if you winterize, i don't.
As far as the shower control, it's a POS. Replacing it has been on my to-do list forever and just havn't gotten around to it. I don't want to replace it with a cheap plastic one so I'm still looking.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:17 PM   #17
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post

Thank you to the OP for bringing this up. Our new Keystone 24RBSWE TT shower control knobs spin so freely that with the lightest bump, or with only the shower head hose touching them, they spin into a new very undesirable temp setting...

Buster, can you tell me if these 1/4-turn handles have enough friction to hold their position, or do they also spin too freely? We've already changed to the Oxygenics showerhead. Now I'd like control knobs that are about as stiff as 1/4-turn home wash machine valves... but that will swap into the RV.

Thanks
Mike
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:40 PM   #18
ptooti

I ordered the shutoff valve shown in the video it’s perfect no cold blasts anymore I also setup the taps to temp I like and marked it so initial setup is easy less fiddling around

Current : 2018 Passport Elite 19RB
Past 2015 R-Pod 179
6,000 Equalizer WDH
2009 F150 Lariat 5.4l
ptooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:43 AM   #19
geeman

Which Oxygenics showerhead are you finding works best of RV water pump?
Or they all do and depends on whether or not i want pulsing etc??
geeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:02 AM   #20
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
Buster, can you tell me if these 1/4-turn handles have enough friction to hold their position, or do they also spin too freely? We've already changed to the Oxygenics showerhead. Now I'd like control knobs that are about as stiff as 1/4-turn home wash machine valves... but that will swap into the RV.
I installed a 1/4 turn lever set to replace the OEM knob set and I find the slightest bump against the lever pushes it down and on. I removed both handles and cartridges and swapped the hot and cold cartridges. I put the hot cartridge on the cold side, but upside down and the cold cartridge on the hot side, also upside down. Now the levers look normal when off, but now you have to rotate them up to turn them on. Any shampoo bottle or similar item falling during transport, can't accidentally turn on the water now. And bumping into them slightly while drying off won't turn them on either.

Works for me...
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade