Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2023, 12:51 PM   #21
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wschmpn View Post
any pics of the dinette bike rack? i cant seem to find them
Look at post #10
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 04:59 AM   #22
hawkswin

I went back and looked. Sorry, I sold my trailer in 2019 and I do not have pictures for the setup I had. I worked nice though.
hawkswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 04:47 AM   #23
Dacheedah

On my last camper I put a frame mounted hitch. The way to actually secure anything behind the trailer. Now for the bad, with two bikes, a portable grill, propane tank and small cooler the trailer would start to wag at about 65. When I pulled the bikes off, rolled the tonneau cover up and threw them in the truck bed, it pulled fine. It is cantilevering the weight (gaining a mechanical advantage). I had plenty of truck, was good for a short trip but remember
loading makes a huge difference

Army, 7th ID 7th MP Co
Retired LEO
9-1-1 Director
Dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 10:50 AM   #24
Canonman

We carried 2 cruiser type pedal bikes for several seasons using a frame mounted hitch and Thule bike rack. We just recently moved up to 2, electric bikes. This prompted us to also upgrade the bike rack. In our search, we discovered there are actually RV rated racks.
Guess what, all RV rated racks have a travel trailer disclaimer. Motor homes, fifth wheels or flat towed vehicles are OK but not travel trailers. Reason given was the loading issue and excessive bounce generated by a travel trailer as opposed to a motor home or 5er.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL1275.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	43929  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 01:20 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
We carried 2 cruiser type pedal bikes for several seasons using a frame mounted hitch and Thule bike rack. We just recently moved up to 2, electric bikes. This prompted us to also upgrade the bike rack. In our search, we discovered there are actually RV rated racks.
Guess what, all RV rated racks have a travel trailer disclaimer. Motor homes, fifth wheels or flat towed vehicles are OK but not travel trailers. Reason given was the loading issue and excessive bounce generated by a travel trailer as opposed to a motor home or 5er.

Yes. Just went through this with various rack manufacturers getting a rack for our 2 e bikes. I decided on a Hollywood Destination rack thinking we would like the ramp. They would not sell it to me for RV use. Got in touch with the VP at Hollywood and he explained that even with a 5th wheel they would not sell it unless I filled out an affidavit absolving them of everything. After reading and re reading the specs, watching and re watching several videos I decided to go with their RV rated ebike rack. None of theirs are rated for bumper pulls either and the same reasons were given. The reason the RV rated one I bought was rated that way vs the other was due to several factors; he said the receiver tube was a stronger and thicker metal, the tube does not go in with a regular pin or depend on an in tube tightener and none of the features depended on simple pins with keepers - they are all nut and bolt. Another giveaway to me was that it weighs about 65 lbs. and the fancier one with the ramp was only about 45lbs. as I recall. Supposed to be here Monday.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 04:14 PM   #26
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Yes. Just went through this with various rack manufacturers getting a rack for our 2 e bikes. I decided on a Hollywood Destination rack thinking we would like the ramp. They would not sell it to me for RV use. Got in touch with the VP at Hollywood and he explained that even with a 5th wheel they would not sell it unless I filled out an affidavit absolving them of everything. After reading and re reading the specs, watching and re watching several videos I decided to go with their RV rated ebike rack. None of theirs are rated for bumper pulls either and the same reasons were given. The reason the RV rated one I bought was rated that way vs the other was due to several factors; he said the receiver tube was a stronger and thicker metal, the tube does not go in with a regular pin or depend on an in tube tightener and none of the features depended on simple pins with keepers - they are all nut and bolt. Another giveaway to me was that it weighs about 65 lbs. and the fancier one with the ramp was only about 45lbs. as I recall. Supposed to be here Monday.
Sounds like you got the RV Ryder. You're gonna Love It!
We just got back from our first trip with ours and it really is something better than any other rack I've owned or seen. Reviewers griped about having knobs and bolts instead of pins and keepers but the stability difference more than makes up for the inconvenience. Assembly is straight forward. Well written instructions. And, there is a video if you need it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL1124.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	365.2 KB
ID:	43943  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 05:01 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

That's it, the RV Ryder. We're excited to get it and far more excited to get it to FL and ride the many miles of trails.
Old 05-21-2023, 06:54 PM   #28
Bill-2020

Interesting. I just preorderd DW the Lectric brand newly introduced Trike last night. I've been looking at hitch cargo carriers for this becasue of the two rear wheels and I'm holding on the buy button until the trike is delivered. I need to take better "folded" dimensions to make a final decision on the size of the cargo carrier. Curt makes a few that look to be contenders.
Old 05-21-2023, 07:01 PM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Look closely and pay attention to the small details, especially weights. I had 13 tabs up for days as I went back and forth looking at all the options not really knowing at the gitgo all the little nuances. Curt, Thule, Swagman etc. - all were there looking at me everyday as I flipped, flopped, twisted and turned them all trying to figure up from down on them. Haven't looked at their trike but read about it. I suspect that will pose some special considerations for a carrier.
Old 05-21-2023, 07:23 PM   #30
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Look closely and pay attention to the small details, especially weights. I had 13 tabs up for days as I went back and forth looking at all the options not really knowing at the gitgo all the little nuances. Curt, Thule, Swagman etc. - all were there looking at me everyday as I flipped, flopped, twisted and turned them all trying to figure up from down on them. Haven't looked at their trike but read about it. I suspect that will pose some special considerations for a carrier.
It does - the width of the rear wheels is 30.5 inches, most heavier rated carriers are less than that. But! When the trike is folded, the front wheel may be closer tucked up to the rear tires than the two rears are apart from eachother. So I may be able to spec in a slightly smaller rack which would result in less torque on the square tube into the hitch. I don't want something hanging way out the back of the camper.
Old 05-21-2023, 07:58 PM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
It does - the width of the rear wheels is 30.5 inches, most heavier rated carriers are less than that. But! When the trike is folded, the front wheel may be closer tucked up to the rear tires than the two rears are apart from eachother. So I may be able to spec in a slightly smaller rack which would result in less torque on the square tube into the hitch. I don't want something hanging way out the back of the camper.
Yeah, that was a no go for me. I carry the Ebikes in the trailer. I bought the carrier so we could carry them to different places with the truck. The carrier will ride on the back of the RV in the 2" receiver folded up with nothing on it.

Wait until you get it and check out what it looks like folded up. A carrier may or may not work with it in the folded position. Once folded ours surprised me and with the recommendation of Jasin I just got 2 totes to put them in. Has worked great so far.
Old 05-22-2023, 06:38 PM   #32
Ray Trusk

Underneath the rear of my rig has a weight limit sticker for the hitch. It should be visible in the hitch supports
Ray Trusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 05:17 AM   #33
dutchmensport

We don't take bicycles with us any more (but occasionally we do), when the grand son is with us. When we do take the bicycles, they travel inside the camper. It's really no big deal stowing them inside the camper when traveling. On my previous travel trailers, I had actual hitches mounted to the trailer frame (factory installed this way). That worked well, except I had outside storage spaces on the rear of the trailer and carriers would block the access. It was just easier all around to put the bicycles inside the trailer. When setting up camp, we always had good bicycle cable locks and kept the bicycles locked up when not in actual use. It worked well for us. No regrets and never had a bicycle stolen either.
Old 07-12-2023, 07:07 PM   #34
worsty18

WNY Bullet
hi, just curious if you still have pictures of the dinette bike rack you could share. The photos you originally posted (post #10) no longer show up.
I'm looking for options to transport 4 bikes inside the trailer
worsty18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 01:34 AM   #35
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by worsty18 View Post
WNY Bullet
hi, just curious if you still have pictures of the dinette bike rack you could share. The photos you originally posted (post #10) no longer show up.
These photo's are of my first camper and the dinette was really small. My current camper's larger dinette should easily fit 4 bikes.

Old 07-13-2023, 01:38 AM   #36
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by worsty18 View Post
WNY Bullet
The photo's in post 10 still show up in my browser, let me know if my last post with pictures work for you.

Old 07-26-2023, 03:17 AM   #37
jvbutter01

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY Bullet View Post
These photo's are of my first camper and the dinette was really small. My current camper's larger dinette should easily fit 4 bikes.
I like this idea. when you take the bikes off, just flip over those seat boards and the clamps are under the seat plane.

Tags
rack