Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2018, 04:49 AM   #1
Triple GGG

Confused on tank drains

I have a 2014 Sprinter 302RLS. 1 bathroom. When I bought it a couple of weeks ago I noticed 3 drain handles. I thought 2 were for gray and one black thinking the kitchen sink was on a separate tank from shower. When I went to drain the gray tank last night the 2 handles on the left are black and the handle on the right is gray. Why would there be 2 black with only 1 toilet?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180508_154540880_HDR.jpeg
Views:	144
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	16522
Old 05-20-2018, 05:18 AM   #2
Steveo57

I think the photo is reversed as it shows one handle on the left and two on the right. But the drain that is exposed under the trailer looks like it was not original and was added on by the previous owners? Perhaps they modified the floor plan and added something that wasn't originally installed?
Old 05-20-2018, 05:41 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Don’t go by the color of the pull handle. One of the original grey handles may have come off, or broke and was replaced by a black one.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:51 AM   #4
Triple GGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Don’t go by the color of the pull handle. One of the original grey handles may have come off, or broke and was replaced by a black one.
That makes sense.

So is the center handle for the black tank? I can figure out by trial but hoping someone would already know.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:09 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

It's going to be a "best guess" with any response you get. So, adding a "clear fitting" onto your sewer hose will allow you to visualize the tank contents as they are flowing out of the tank. Pull one valve handle, look at the color of the contents, if black/brown then you'll know it's from the black tank, if it's clear/gray you'll know it's from the shower/sink gray tank.

That valve under your trailer with the exposed handle is probably not "OEM" but is a work-around that was added because the original valve (which would probably be at the tank exit for the rear gray tank) failed. Looking at the way that tank's contents are managed, the pipe under the trailer (between the tank and the valve) is exposed to the elements and not protected during cold weather camping. So, if you drain anything into that tank, during the winter, it will flow to the valve and is subject to freezing and bursting the pipe causing damage.

My guess is, that like most of our trailers, the "biggest valve complaint" is the location of the rear gray tank valve handle. For most of us, we have to crawl under the slide to empty that tank while camping. So, you may well have (I'd guess you probably do have) another (4th) valve at the rear tank. If you look under your trailer, near the back of the slide, you may find another valve handle either "high up on the frame rail" or coming out of a small slit in the coroplast. The previous owner may have removed that handle after opening the OEM valve, so you may not find the valve handle, rather just evidence that it used to be there....

As long as you don't plan to do any winter camping, it's not an issue, but if you do plan to use the trailer in cold weather, you might want to do some "digging to find the OEM valve".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:17 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

John, not to argue but I have seen this on a few trailers. I bet it was "factory", The "giveaway" for me was the green glue that it seems every manufacturer uses at the factory.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:34 AM   #7
Triple GGG

John thanks for the info on the 4th valve. I had not read these posts until we had already left the camper this morning. I will have to do some hunting next time. By the way great looking setup of your camper and truck.

Again thanks everyone for the quick replies. Love the helping people and the info on this forum. It is what I have always enjoyed about camping.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:48 AM   #8
Triple GGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
I think the photo is reversed as it shows one handle on the left and two on the right. But the drain that is exposed under the trailer looks like it was not original and was added on by the previous owners? Perhaps they modified the floor plan and added something that wasn't originally installed?
Photo is correct. Sorry should have stated it a little better. The handle to the left of the pipe is black, then the left handle to the right of the pipe is black and the far right handle is gray.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:50 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Does your trailer have a rear kitchen? If so the exposed pipe with the valve is the rear gray tank. The two coming out of the underbelly will be one black and one gray.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:05 AM   #10
Triple GGG

Nevermind. Do you ever have a can't see the forest for the trees moment. On side of slide out above drains. I actually remember seeing this when I was buying it. Geez.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-20 10.11.02.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	16527  
Old 05-20-2018, 09:31 AM   #11
Triple GGG

Thanks Chuck and John for your insight. Everything does look factory (but what do I know) as there doesn't appear to be any signs of cutting holes etc. It is supposed to be designed to camp down to 0. When I saw that I was wondering if that one section would not freeze. There was very little drained when I pulled the gray valve (by listening only) which makes me thinks this is a tank the kitchen sink drains too. Will continue to do trial and error.

John the "blue PEX" strung on the rail is actually the water hose. Since this camper is setup on the lake the previous owner zip tied it off the ground.

Tags
drain, fuse, tank