Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2017, 03:50 AM   #1
m&m

Confused about your idea of warranty coverage

I waited several days before posting this question.

Several days ago I called about total hydraulic failure with my rig. T he jacks were deployed and unit level. The 3 slides were somewhat deployed.
Since I am still under warranty I called and received the wrong answer. To show why I'm confused:
My truck 2013F350dw and 2017 Avalanche 365mb both cost MSRP $71k.
When My truck broke down I called customer service.
#1 safety concern
#2 vech info
#3 turned over to coach net for service. I was out in country. Truck dispatched to location.
#4 Ford calling back checking
#5 less than 90min rig arrived to start truck. Signed paperwork.
#6 Dealer called to assist was help with needed repairs, and when did I want to bring unit in. Fried batteries.
#7 Final call from customer service
Over all I give a great thumbs up to their warranty service.

Now for Keystone
#1 The first person I talked seemed confused what to do so ended up with a new person. Repeated my situation. Found nearest dealer 1hr away. Said clearly they were not obligated to help. It was up to them.
#2 If I could get unit to them they would cover warranty work.
#3 Advised to seek local help from camp ground or mobile repair unit.
#4 nothing else they could do for me. I could however submit all paperwork to company.
#5 called recommended dealer. We don't service that area. Did answer questions somewhat.
#6 did repair myself. Not one phone call in five days from keystone. Not 1 tech came online to assist.

Over all I give a strong thumbs down to keystone. I'm still searching for statement in warranty book that says "Keystone stands behind warranty if a breakdown occurs on the road".
By the way I purched extended warranty.
Any help understanding this would be appreciated.
m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:20 AM   #2
Javi

Hope you feel better soon... and welcome to the world of RV.
In the land of RV, warranty is a four letter word... you move to the back of the line if you bought it there, and to exile if you didn't...
Learn to do as you did with your breakdown, in the world of RV there is no service after the sale...

Javi
Old 07-23-2017, 05:11 AM   #3
Bob Landry

I only had one warranty issue with my Outback and the dealer took care of it, even though I didn't buy it there. No problem.
Talking to Keystone is another issue. I have not talked to anyone there who would give me any information on anything. All they will say is go to the dealer. Total idiots. I won't buy another Keystone product, not because of the quality, but because of the peopl you have to try to deal with.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:56 AM   #4
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Hope you feel better soon... and welcome to the world of RV.
In the land of RV, warranty is a four letter word... you move to the back of the line if you bought it there, and to exile if you didn't...
Learn to do as you did with your breakdown, in the world of RV there is no service after the sale...

Javi
"In the land of RV, warranty is a four letter word..."

Yes, indeed.

We bought our 326SRX slightly used by a few months. The PDI resolved a few issues. BIG discount. HUGE. Only very minor issues afterwards that we addressed without the usual warranty grief involved. Hate paying for a warranty that involves the usual delays, back and forth "conversation" and general runaround.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:46 AM   #5
m&m

My dealership never treated me the way keystone Co. did. The dealership treats all the same. Optimun RV in Ocala(2.5 hrs away) has a great service department. One time when a service was guaranteed by a certain date it was not done. Took in for heater problem,however when in for repair they found a electrical safety issue, and had to keep it and extra day. He had it delivered the next day,no cost to me. Great service 11mos later.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:20 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

You have to remember that vehicles and RVs are 2 completely different animals....completely. Keystone made the unit and that's pretty much where they wash their hands of it. The dealer takes it and sells it to you. Keystone will work with the dealer (their rep) to rectify problems you have with the unit. They don't work with you to get it fixed to any degree. They definitely are not going to find a mobile unit to come fix your RV. If that's what's needed it's up to you and the selling dealer (preferably) or a nearer, authorized dealer for Keystone. Keystone won't be doing it. When you have a warranty issue you need to be dealing with your dealer or the nearest authorized dealer; and if you didn't buy it from them you'll be lucky if they "take" you in since they are not obligated to do it. It's not just Keystone, it's the RV industry. There are no such things as "Keystone" dealerships, Forest River dealerships, Palomino etc. etc. They are all individual "authorized" dealers for the various manufacturers - and THEY are the way the manufacturers work with you. Just keep a set of tools handy.............
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:57 AM   #7
TheRealMacGyver

My dealer took care of a few things right after I took delivery, maybe a month after. After that there was not more warranty as far as I am concerned. Anything I had, from roof leaking at 18 months old, to soft/spongy floor was not "covered under warranty". The warranty is a big piece of garbage as far as I am concerned.
TheRealMacGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:08 PM   #8
Tom N OH

I live with the attitude that all warranties are worth no more than the paper they are printed on, some even less. When I buy something, I pay absolutely no attention to the warranty as a factor in my purchase decision. Now, having said that, we are dealing with a warranty repair to our MHC 305RL's main A/C unit & refrigerator. After I had gone through all of the diagnostic steps & decided that both units were defective, I called a local Keystone dealer (Not the dealer we purchased this unit through, but we had purchased from in the past.). Their tech was on his way to the campground where we have a seasonal lot to service another customer, so he stopped by & confirmed that both units were, in fact, defective. They contacted Dometic about both units, got authorization to do the repairs, ordered the parts & are in the process of doing the repairs. I am shocked & impressed with Dometic's & the dealer's response in this repair. It's just too bad that they sell all of the lower end Keystone lines, otherwise they would have gotten my business on this unit & after this experience, they could have gotten my future business. I do still buy some parts & accessories from them, not much, but it's something.

2017 F350 CC LB SRW 6.7
2015 Montana HC 305RL
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:05 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N OH View Post
I live with the attitude that all warranties are worth no more than the paper they are printed on, some even less. When I buy something, I pay absolutely no attention to the warranty as a factor in my purchase decision. Now, having said that, we are dealing with a warranty repair to our MHC 305RL's main A/C unit & refrigerator. After I had gone through all of the diagnostic steps & decided that both units were defective, I called a local Keystone dealer (Not the dealer we purchased this unit through, but we had purchased from in the past.). Their tech was on his way to the campground where we have a seasonal lot to service another customer, so he stopped by & confirmed that both units were, in fact, defective. They contacted Dometic about both units, got authorization to do the repairs, ordered the parts & are in the process of doing the repairs. I am shocked & impressed with Dometic's & the dealer's response in this repair. It's just too bad that they sell all of the lower end Keystone lines, otherwise they would have gotten my business on this unit & after this experience, they could have gotten my future business. I do still buy some parts & accessories from them, not much, but it's something.

You know, with a dealer that treats you that good I wonder if it would do any good to sit down and visit with the owner/gm and sales manager to see if they would add some additional lines of RVs. I know I stopped into the CW in Tallahassee and they said they didn't carry a particular brand of RV, based on their choice, and seemed very open to discussing the addition of additional brands/lines. Maybe the same would work in your case??
Old 07-24-2017, 05:54 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Dealers can carry any brand/line but are restricted by geographical location of any other dealer selling the same. There is "protected" territory.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:43 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Dealers can carry any brand/line but are restricted by geographical location of any other dealer selling the same. There is "protected" territory.
In the situation I am referring to they had carried the lines before and chose not to. But, you are absolutely correct.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:39 PM   #12
roadglide

I have coach net it will only cover mechanical, motors that's all and if you're within 100 miles with in your incompetent dealer it has to go there with 100 deductible. I feel it's a scame from the dealer and coach net. I bought the 5 year coach net warranty.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:29 AM   #13
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m View Post
#1 The first person I talked seemed confused what to do so ended up with a new person. Repeated my situation. Found nearest dealer 1hr away. Said clearly they were not obligated to help. It was up to them.
#2 If I could get unit to them they would cover warranty work.
#3 Advised to seek local help from camp ground or mobile repair unit.
#4 nothing else they could do for me. I could however submit all paperwork to company.
#5 called recommended dealer. We don't service that area. Did answer questions somewhat.......

It's funny that sales people here indicate the "nationwide dealer network" associated with the factory warranty. The reality is FAR from that.

It's nice of Keystone to offer to repair it for you if you brought it back to Indiana. Usually that requires an authorization, IMHO.

Grand Design doesn't do this sort of thing to their customers, but they seem to be the exception to the general rule.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:04 AM   #14
m&m

Wel l my next post about warranty issues. The 1st year is dead. The extended is now working.

After a 7K trip I learned;
1. you buy keystone who sells to dealer. They wash their hands of product.
2 The dealer if good supports you. The problem is you must go to them.

Now after returning home I had about 2K in repair, which my dealer fixed at lowest cost to me, in a very quick turnaround. Less than $200.

The trip across I10 caused the wiring in the underbelly to fall( slide harness). The awning ripped at the corner and broke. The slam latch broke.
I broke the middle level-up jack. ? how.

Insurance covered jack, and optimum covered rest under ext warranty.

All this in 3wks. Sooner if they had better phone number for me.
met deadline to get us on road to park. Great service.

Could go on and on but you get the drift.

Tags
cover, fuse, warranty