Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2015, 12:20 PM   #1
brittsnbirds

Question Sprinter Copper Canyon 269

If there are any Sprinter 269 owners out there, answer me this. In the basement do you have a partition/wall between the very front storage and the basement storage. My 2014 does not, when you open the very front storage door (where the battery and landing gear are) you can see and put things in the basement area. Just a big wide open area.

My wife and I were at the RV show in KCMO today, I looked at a new 2015 Sprinter 269, it had a partition between the basement and front storage. I found the Keystone Rep. and asked him why mine did not have it. Also asked him why they left a large gap between the sheet metal and the landing gear exposing all of the basement and interior walls of the unit to mice. He made up some lame excuse about expansive foam in gaps etc. He didn't offer to look at where I was talking about, nothing. Basically blew me off. Was not impressed with his lack of concern or his stupid cheap sunglasses.

If anyone that has a 269 could shed some light on this I would appreciate it!
brittsnbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:32 PM   #2
Tim Cline

Went theough the same thing with my 296. HUGE gaps, up around the propane tanks and landing gear, when I asked about closing them they said sure when will you be bringing the cans of foam etc. Heck, worried about mice? when you actually look through it all I was more concerned with racoons setting up house.
Tim Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:38 PM   #3
brittsnbirds

Racoons

Exactly, especially when I live in the country and there are Racoons everywhere.

Don't look at the new ones, there is only a 1/2" gap against the landing gear.

Did yours have the divider? With a "heated basement" I don't know how they can get away with that statement since they are venting to the outdoors.

Bad thing is that is the only floorplan my DW liked. So............

It's going in for some warranty work, outside speakers in the awning quit, dent in the side panel (metal) when they delivered, underbelly material is sagging badly, plus the insulation for the "heated tanks" is all messed up (noticed when I looked to fix the underbelly problem).

Will see what they say about the gaps. I will probably make some templates from cardboard and cut out some tin, pop rivet it in the foam and caulk the sides.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:46 PM   #4
accordionman

269 copper canyon sprinter

we have the same unit as you have ,but it is a 2013 model year . it is a great floor plan for a couple .we love the bath with the residential shower. as for your problems . our rig has a fold down door to create more storage space if you want or it has a strap with a snap that you can put up to use as a divider .
ours had the same problems with seeing through to the ground on the corners and the landing gear .told the dealer that was not to my liking . they used a good rubber caulk and sealed all of the spaces . no more looking in the front and seeing the ground below . we had to replace motor in electric awning . I still miss my manual awning . I guess the only real complaint I have is the cargo door on the drivers side . what a piece of crap that is . plastic latch holding that door up . screws pulling out because of the weight .
anything to save a buck !!
I would take it to the dealer and have these gaps sealed with a good caulk .
no charge of course . that is warranty work. good luck
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:44 AM   #5
brittsnbirds

Yep

I agree Acordianman, the side door on the port side is lightweight. The holder is metal on mine. However the door to the propane tanks is like a slinky. Flew open 5 miles from the dealer. Thank god I had duct tape. That was my first mod, I had a piece of aluminum angle that I pop riveted at each latch to give them more "meat" to grab. The door is still flimsy and needs backing but stays shut.

Cross my fingers the awning motor keeps going, however the awning speakers died. Plus they are crap for speakers.

As far as the divider, mine doesn't function like that. The strap holds it up off the front tray just far enough to put stuff under. The new ones have a real wall partition installed. However there are gaps at the top of the partition between the aluminum floor joists. Even though the basement is "heated" (one little 2" vented) I need to enclose between each joist and pipes. I would like to get some of the same wall material that they used and I will seal it all up.

Will see have to haul it up to Liberty to get the speakers fixed and a dent in the lower skirt repaired.

Thinking about getting a Mor Ryde pin box to get rid of the chucking. Just don't want to part with the $$$.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:36 AM   #6
Tim Cline

My propane door did the same thing, it flew open several times as I was returning the unit to the dealer, like you said thank god for duct tape. My dealer put longer latches in the door. If i ever get my unit back I intend to stiffen that flimsy door. Probably use a fiberboard backer and use the same material to seal up all the previiously mentioned wide open gaps up around the lp tank area.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:09 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

My '12 273 hasn't had a single issue other than the LP detector going off for no reason. I'm gonna change it before I go on my next trip, but other than that I have no complaints. There is a gap in the basement where the landing gear exits, but all my fivers have had that and since my battery is right there I use that gap for leads for power to my satellite dish.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:21 AM   #8
Tim Cline

Chuckster the gaps around the landing gear are universal, the problem is when you actually climb under and look up around the lp tank area and on the other side. Its wide open to the underbelly of the camper. There is noway they can call this an enclosed underbelly. And keystone is obviously aware because I believe someone said it is corrected in the 2015 models. Personally I find Keystones apparent disregard more of a problem. I can fix the gaps but when will Keystone fix its customer service?
Old 01-18-2015, 03:03 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

I suspect it has to do with the placement of the LP compartments. Mine are outside of the frame and the doors are NOT louvered. Since propane is heavier than air, it makes sense not to seal the compartment, leaving any leaking gas a place to vent.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:30 PM   #10
brittsnbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I suspect it has to do with the placement of the LP compartments. Mine are outside of the frame and the doors are NOT louvered. Since propane is heavier than air, it makes sense not to seal the compartment, leaving any leaking gas a place to vent.
There you go, I knew they had a reason!!

Should have worked on it this weekend, weather was in upper 50's. Need to get some more tin. Make a piece to fit, put some clear silicone on it and rivet it in place. Then caulk around all the gaps.

How about all your underbelly's? Other than me personally having the 59 yoa sag my trailer does as well.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:38 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittsnbirds View Post
There you go, I knew they had a reason!!

Should have worked on it this weekend, weather was in upper 50's. Need to get some more tin. Make a piece to fit, put some clear silicone on it and rivet it in place. Then caulk around all the gaps.

How about all your underbelly's? Other than me personally having the 59 yoa sag my trailer does as well.
When the trailer is being manufactured, the chassis is rolled into the plant "upside down". The plumbing, electrical and sewer lines are run, insulation (usually a roll of "bubble wrap foil" sheeting is laid down, the coroplast is installed and screwed to the frame, then the axles are installed as is the exterior part of the LP gas line. Then the frame is turned over on its wheels and the tanks, heat ducting, the remaining electrical, etc are installed. Then the floor is installed over that entire assembly.

At that time, holes are drilled in the flooring, to access those components that were laid in the "basement". Often the sawdust, remnants of the wood that was cut away, pieces of romex, screws, bolts, bits of plastic plumbing, even components that were misplaced or "lost" will find their way into the area that's enclosed by the coroplast. Sometimes, if the coroplast is installed when it's cold, it will stretch when it warms up, sometimes the weight of the "debris" in the space above the coroplast will weight it down, and yes, sometimes it's installed "too loose" or improperly.

It may be that your coroplast isn't really "sagging" much more than on any other trailer, or it may be "OK" as it is, and it's like the rest of the trailers. I'd urge you to do some comparative looking to see if the coroplast will interfere with or be a problem because of the sagging. Often times, removing and reinstalling it can do more damage than just leaving it alone.

Only you and your dealer can make an "enlightened" decision on whether or not it needs to be repaired, but don't assume that because it "sags a little" that it's a bad thing and needs to be fixed.

Good Luck,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote