Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2018, 01:13 PM   #1
adkmgc

ac problems

I have a 2013 Bullet. The problem were having with the ac unit is, The lights go dim, ( lights are led) and it takes a few seconds to get going. When it finally gets going, the ac unit cools and blows like new. The start up is hard. Plenty of power going to trailer. Any suggestions.

adkmgc
adkmgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:27 PM   #2
dwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkmgc View Post
I have a 2013 Bullet. The problem were having with the ac unit is, The lights go dim, ( lights are led) and it takes a few seconds to get going. When it finally gets going, the ac unit cools and blows like new. The start up is hard. Plenty of power going to trailer. Any suggestions.

adkmgc

Sounds like low voltage and/or low amps. Are you sure the power supply is sufficient? Are you in a campground with a lot of other a/c running? Could be that their power supply is overloaded. Just a guess.
dwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:44 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkmgc View Post
adkmgc
What lights go dim? Overhead or on the ac unit? What takes a few seconds to get going? The fan or the compressor? Some more info might help the folks here help you like make of unit, maybe a picture. If it's the fan, given the limited information, I'd suggest set it to run just the fan and see if it reacts the same way. If it does, could be an issue with the fan, blower motor bearings, or windings, start capacitor, ect. If it's the compressor start by replacing the capacitor on the compressor with a larger "hard start capacitor".
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:49 PM   #4
adkmgc

update to AC problems

Thank you for asking for more information. I'll try and clear that up.

2013 Keystone Bullet 24rbs.
15,000 BTU Dometic AC unit.
All the lights dim, but not all the time and only when the compressor starts.

Fan comes on quiet and blows lots of air.
Compressor motor struggles to get up to speed.

We have a full hook up at the site. 30 amp service, water and sewer hookups. We don't use the refrigerator, and the only power draw would be the hot water tank when it fires up. The AC unit has a 20 amp breaker.

adkmgc
adkmgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:59 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

I would try the compressor capacitor but others will probably chime in soon.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:36 PM   #6
theboneskes

I too would install a second capacitor on the HERM side of the AC. Something like this:

SUPCO SPP6 Relay/Capacitor Hard Start Kit with 500% Increase Starting Torque https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002YTLFE..._3qgOBbNQJ00AR

I am an HVAC tech in the summer. As soon as we bought our new TT I installed one the first week. My lights have never dimmed. A stronger/bigger capacitor is the answer to your question. There are two types of caps and dual pole and a triple pole. If you have a triple it will say something like 35/5 on the side. That's microfarad. Compressor side is 35 and fan side is 5. If a 2 pole, attach it to the bigger one. You can't screw up which lead to attach it to either. There is a C which is common- which is power coming into the cap, which is what charges it. The output of the cap is what I said before. A triple pole has 3 markings: C, fan, and HERM. Attach the hard start capacitor to the HERM and C terminals, attach it with some zip ties, and button everything back together. And NO, it WONT void the warranty.
Prodigy P1 Brake Controller
Used to own: 2006 Jayco 29FBS
theboneskes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:37 PM   #7
theboneskes

If you have any questions or need any help please send me a PM
Prodigy P1 Brake Controller
Used to own: 2006 Jayco 29FBS
theboneskes is offline   Reply With Quote