Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2018, 05:46 AM   #21
boytimme

I don't understand. After seeing a number of operational questions on these pages. Do you people NOT go through a walk-through with the seller of your unit at purchase? That's the time to ask these questions!

2013 Keystone Bullet 248RKS, pulled with:
2012 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCab, 3.5L V6 Eco-Boost, Max Tow Package, 7700# GVWR pkg, 3.73 Axle.
boytimme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:19 PM   #22
Barseven

Quote:
Originally Posted by boytimme View Post
I don't understand. After seeing a number of operational questions on these pages. Do you people NOT go through a walk-through with the seller of your unit at purchase? That's the time to ask these questions!
Yes, we did a walk-through with the dealer before taking delivery, however as newbie's, we tried to prepare for the PDI with a checklist and questions ready to go, but there were so many things that we didn't even know to ask. Cuz, you don't know what ya don't know, right? The guy was already behind when our appt time rolled around and we waited 45 minutes for him to finish up with another couple. Needless to say, he rushed through our inspection and when we tried to slow it down a bit, he just kept on going. I thought he was going loose his Sh*T when I asked to inspect the roof!
Barseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:40 PM   #23
maccam1

VMy cougar32rli has 2 black tanks on the monitor panel,when I asked about that,the rep from keystone told me that panel is set up so if a unit has 2 toilets,there is 2nd tank monitor for that
maccam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:49 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barseven View Post
Our Black Tank #1 does flush when we dump so I'm certain it's the sensor. After reading all of the responses, it sounds like it would be a waste of time to take it to the dealer. Ours is only 6 months old. As long as the tank dumps each time, I should be able to get by without the sensors, right?

Appreciate all of the helpful advice. We are fairly new at this and have found so much useful info on this forum. Matter of fact, we recently checked the ducts for our A/C because the trailer just wasn't cooling very well; even with 2 A/C's. Making a few minor alterations (as recommended by fellow keystone owners) improved air flow drastically and saved us a trip to the dealer.
The sensors, to me, are a personal thing with folks I guess. I started using travel trailers when there were no "tank sensor", nor were they ever thought of. It's very easy to tell when what you have is getting full so never wished for a "sensor".....now, higher ride height, better insulation, better materials...yes.

The sensors would probably be nice if 1) you needed them, 2) you trusted them and 3) if they were important in the operation of the RV....they aren't. A person can do all kinds of things trying to clean the sensors or keep them clean, but at the end of the day, to me, what does it matter?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:59 AM   #25
mazboy

First off assume that the gauges DO NOT work properly. don't rely on your gauages just monitor how much time you spend using the trailer. don't waste your time trying to get the gauges to work....they won't--ever.

but if you want monitors that work.... https://www.garnetinstruments.com/rv-shop/

Rule of thumb on black water tank...you can go about 2 week with 2 people using the trailer.

I assume your gauge monitor has 2 grey tank, one black and a fresh tank. probably the most accurate one will be the fresh water tank. You do not have 2 black water tanks if you have one toilet--which goes directly into the black water tank.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:47 AM   #26
Old Mustanger

"Rule of thumb on black water tank...you can go about 2 week with 2 people using the trailer."

2 weeks? Maybe someones not using enough water when they flush?
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:11 AM   #27
KimNTerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
"Rule of thumb on black water tank...you can go about 2 week with 2 people using the trailer."

2 weeks? Maybe someones not using enough water when they flush?
Or they have a very large Black Tank.

Wife and I can go 5 days MAX on our 38 gallon if we are very careful. By then we're either out of or very low on fresh water so...

Best measure I have seen for Black and Gray tank is the fresh water tank. If that is very low or empty, it's a good bet that the black and gray are close. (Unless you use the outdoor shower a lot)

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:54 AM   #28
travelin texans

Glad to read all of you discussing how worthless the sensors are!!
It was brought to my attention on another thread discussing this that the ONLY thing wrong with my sensors was lack of maintenance/proper cleaning & if cleaned/maintained properly they would work flawlessly. So with that I would assume there's a LOT of us that don't know how to properly clean/maintain our holding tanks so the sensors would work.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:55 AM   #29
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNTerry View Post
Or they have a very large Black Tank.

Best measure I have seen for Black and Gray tank is the fresh water tank. If that is very low or empty, it's a good bet that the black and gray are close. (Unless you use the outdoor shower a lot)
Our tank indicators work pretty well, but this is also the same method we use to figure when things are about ready to dump as a double check on the indicator lights. Sometimes the galley gray will be more full than the bathroom and our lights show that. I think the indicators on our Cougar are pretty much a good estimate of the relative capacity condition of the tanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Proxy Falls 2018 (9 of 11).jpg
Views:	93
Size:	360.8 KB
ID:	17804  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water