Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2018, 09:58 AM   #1
SRD

TPMS Would like some advice

In September we will be making a long trip from central Indiana to Custer State Park In South Dakota. Have been checking out the products available and honestly it can be confusing. I want a four tire system that i can upgrade, simple but dependable. After spending $300.00 plus dollars not really wanting to change out the valve stems. i have read that some of the sensors can be big and put stress on the stems. What product would work without changing the valve stems. any advice would be appreciated
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:11 AM   #2
Cbrez

We use Tire-Safeguard with the cap sensors, not the flow through. Very simple to use. No programming required if you are ok with the factory presets. Basically plug and play. Also are light weight so we did not change out the rubber valve stems. Only downside is that you cannot replace the batteries, so when one quits working you have to order a new one. Been using ours for three years and have not had to replace one yet.

http://www.tiresafeguard.com/frontpage/

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:16 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I use the TST 507 system. It covers my truck and RV - no booster. They are the stem mounted type - non flow through. They are also on rubber valve stems. I wanted steel when I installed the new Carlisle HDs but the SM at CW said he would prefer not to put them on because they caused more problems than they solved. He said the valve stems they would put on would be fine with the monitors - so that's what I did. It's been going on 3 summers and I've had no problems and no scarring of the aluminum wheels.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:38 AM   #4
SRD

Tst 507

The TST 507 is the product i have been considering. so the rubber valve stems should hold up ok. Thanks for your advice very much appreciated
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:38 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Like sourdough had same system on rubber valve stems until last year when new Carlisles went on and went to metal stems. No issues on the rubber stems, no signs of any wear but then again I don't tow like I'm running a NASCAR race.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:50 AM   #6
Canonman

Same as above, TST 507 and changed to metal after upgrading to Carlisle HDs.
BTW you'll love Custer SP. We stayed at the North Stockade Lake CG and woke up to wildlife in the camp every morning. Deer, turkeys and a couple of lost kids.
Have some photos here:http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...hp?albumid=775
Safe Travels
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0773.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	398.9 KB
ID:	17032  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:55 PM   #7
Ken / Claudia

Not sure what types of metal stems would not work. I have the type that cost about 6 bucks each, bolted on the inside, sealed by a rubber gasket. They were put on my f350 per load, psi vs rubber stems. Tire shop said they needed to be on it not rubber and wondered why the metro tire shop ever put them on. That was after I blew out 2 rear tires from the rubber stems splitting during hot weather, heavy load. Not fun to say at 65mph.
When I got this trailer I had the tire shop put same stems on for same reason and added the 507 TPMS. My trailer is not real heavy compared to others on here but, I think 6 bucks is cheap insurance to prevent another stem split on a rubber valve. They split at the base where it enters the wheel.
As I recall there was a recall of rubber stems from China around the same time of my problem. I think I have 12 years on the truck metal stems, never would I leave rubber ones in that long.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 01:08 PM   #8
talk2cpu

Have that same TPMS on my "just sold" rig. Started with rubber stems and had no problems. Went to metal when installed the Carlisles. Reason being that when checking the tires, I notice there was marking of the paint (on the rims) where the sensors were bending the rubber stems out so the sensor was rubbing on the wheel. Decided that was not likely a good thing long term for either the sensor or the stem.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:37 PM   #9
travelin texans

I think the tech at CW just didn't want to do the work!
I have the TST507 on all 10 tires with metal valve stems, never a problem.Our last 5er had rubber stems & no sensors & 2 flats due to broken/cracked rubber valve stems. My opinion is if you're doing the valve sensors spend the bit extra for metal stems (not installed at CW).
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:54 PM   #10
Steve/

I went with the EEZTire Tire Pressure Monitoring System on rubber stems. I have 7000 miles and no problems. When I get new tire, I will upgrade to steel stems.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:33 PM   #11
captcolour

I have the Tire Tracker TT-500 with valve cap sensors with batteries (watch batteries). They are on metal stems.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:34 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I think the tech at CW just didn't want to do the work!
I have the TST507 on all 10 tires with metal valve stems, never a problem.Our last 5er had rubber stems & no sensors & 2 flats due to broken/cracked rubber valve stems. My opinion is if you're doing the valve sensors spend the bit extra for metal stems (not installed at CW).
The guy at CW was the service manager - 15 years at it so he would be the one acquiring, and assigning, the work. He and I had a lot of history and he was a straight shooter so took him at his word. Haven't had any issues thus far. I DO keep a close eye on the stems.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:10 PM   #13
kjohn

IIRC! My setup for four tires is called Tire Minder. Simple to install and use.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:39 AM   #14
bfisher003

We have been using the EEZTire system, non-flow thru with the security caps, for a couple of years now and it has worked well. It is easily programmed and the batteries are easy to replace (they recommend annually). I set ours to alarm at 10% below normal for Low Pressure and 20% above normal for High Pressure. I leave the temp at the recommended 158 dg. On the first set of tires we just had the rubber stems and I did notice the caps were rubbing on the rims a bit. Last summer on our way back from Alaska we bought a new set of tires in Whitehorse, YT and they put what they called metal reinforced valve stems on. I did not notice any more rubbing on the rims. A couple of weeks ago we had a new set of Goodyear Endurance tires put on with metal valve stems. I definitely recommend a TPMS system. It saved us a probable blowout when we got the new tires in Whitehorse. The tech had only put 32 psi in one of the tires. The TPMS caught it before I left their lot with both audible and visual alarms.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:47 AM   #15
jbplock

Arrow TT-500 four wheel TPMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcolour View Post
I have the Tire Tracker TT-500 with valve cap sensors with batteries (watch batteries). They are on metal stems.

I also have a TT-500 four wheel TPMS that has worked very well so far with about 4000 miles of towing on the original sensor batteries. I only put the sensors caps on (rubber stems) when towing and remove them once we reach our destination.
jbplock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:22 AM   #16
tim5055

Shortly after I purchased my 2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 297 RLDS I purchased this package from PressurePro https://tirepressuremonitor.com/prod...age-8-sensors/

In addition to the Coachmen we have a Aliner for back country trips and I will not tow either camper without the TPMS

They alert to either over-pressure or under-pressure and have now saved me four times.

Three times I have picked up road debris (nails ect.) in a single tire and the slow leak was detected and alerted to me in sufficient time to exit the highway and have repairs made. The fourth time was a crack in one of the tow vehicle tire valve stems.

All four times I'm sure had I not had the TPMS the tire affected would have leaked to the point of the tire overheating and a catastrophic failure.

This has led me to believe that many of the reports of "junk Chinese" tires failing are really road debris/leakage failures that lowered the pressure in the tire to the point of catastrophic failure.

I have now swapped all rubber valve stems for metal and even though I feel that many "junk Chinese" tires are getting a bad rap I've swapped out the tires on the Coachmen to Goodyear Endurance. I think I've got another year on the Aliner and then I will change it's tires also.

Friends don't let friends tow without a TPMS system!!
tim5055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:29 AM   #17
itat

TPMSs are all the rage on RV forums but I doubt I'll every install one. I replaced the factory tires with highly rated Maxxis M8008 tires (ST225/75R15) and upgraded from the factory-installed LR C to LR D (my TT runs about 7300# loaded) and metal stems, and I check the tire pressures on the trailer and truck every day before we get on the road. Perhaps it's a risk I'm taking but I'm not convinced that it's a significant risk.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:35 AM   #18
tim5055

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
TPMSs are all the rage on RV forums but I doubt I'll every install one. I replaced the factory tires with highly rated Maxxis M8008 tires (ST225/75R15) and upgraded from the factory-installed LR C to LR D (my TT runs about 7300# loaded), and I check the tire pressures on the trailer and truck every day before we get on the road. Perhaps it's a risk I'm taking but I'm not convinced that it's a significant risk.
I believe the risk is bigger than many people think. All it takes is one nail in the road to create a slow leak.

I also check pressure every morning when towing (I also carry a torque wrench and re torque all lug nuts) but as I said above, 4 times the TPMS has saved me.

On every occasion once I was able to stop in a place of safety and look at the tire causing the alarm I noticed no distinct observable difference from the others. So, at a casual glance at a fuel stop if I didn't have the TPMS I don't think I would have seen the "low" tire.

But, life is about choices and we all take risks every day.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:47 AM   #19
sconner

Happy user of a TST 507 system. Just use the rubber stems until you get new tires. I don’t think it is that critical to have metal stems.
sconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:20 AM   #20
Ken / Claudia

Tim hit the nail on the head. The TPMS is another safety device now available. We (old timers) got by without them for decades. Now no need to wonder about a nail, other road debris or valve stem letting air out as we continue at 55 mph until the tire overheats and blows apart. Old days if your were lucky a passing vehicle would yell at you about the flat tire on your trailer before it blew up.
I also believe many tires fail due to road debris causing a leak and happenly the driver just kept on pulling it until the blow out. I say that because the trailer tires track differently then the tow vehicle and hit stuff you may never know about. You cannot feel a low tire like in your tow vehicle, what about a tire that has tread coming off or out of round, none of that you know unless you maybe are able to see it. Any of those problems mentioned may not be detected or present at the start of the day or rest stops. Just a few miles of 55 mph and the little problem can become the several thousand dollar tire and rv repair. I wish they did not cost 300 to 400 bucks. One issue they prevent or warn about, they paid for themselves.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote