Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2018, 03:21 PM   #21
rogeru

LOVE IT!!!!! Made my day, (and WEEK)!!
rogeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:15 AM   #22
bluwtrman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
As a rule I advise against the use of eternabond for maintaining roof seals. In your case I see your point.
Chuckster - why not Eternabond tape? I was under the impression that stuff was the end all solution for rv roofs.
bluwtrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:06 AM   #23
chuckster57
Site Team

Eternabond is a repair not a maintenance product. In the event that some repair requires the removal off the screw rail (seam) it’s just about impossible to remove the tape without significant damage to the membrane and may end up being a much more expensive repair.

Forest river is starting to use it at a the factory on Sonoma’s for the vents and skylights. If either of those need replacing, I’m wondering what FR will do when we ask for authorization to replace the entire membrane because we couldn’t take the tape off and replace just the component.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:29 AM   #24
bluwtrman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Eternabond is a repair not a maintenance product. In the event that some repair requires the removal off the screw rail (seam) it’s just about impossible to remove the tape without significant damage to the membrane and may end up being a much more expensive repair.

Forest river is starting to use it at a the factory on Sonoma’s for the vents and skylights. If either of those need replacing, I’m wondering what FR will do when we ask for authorization to replace the entire membrane because we couldn’t take the tape off and replace just the component.

Couldn't the tape just be split with a razor knife along the seam/joint to be repaired? I realize this would result in a layer of tape to be covered either with more sealant or another layer of tape. Just seems to me the tape is so effective and durable versus the caulk.
bluwtrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:30 AM   #25
chuckster57
Site Team

I suppose you could. But I’d much rather peel sealant and add more. To each their own.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:24 AM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluwtrman View Post
Couldn't the tape just be split with a razor knife along the seam/joint to be repaired? I realize this would result in a layer of tape to be covered either with more sealant or another layer of tape. Just seems to me the tape is so effective and durable versus the caulk.
I think one needs to be very selective in where/how you use the Eternabond tape. As far as slitting it for access under it, my thought/worry is that it will be virtually impossible to slit it without cutting thru the roof membrane....and there you go. I don't use it anywhere I might need access to some other component for that reason; right or wrong, I don't know.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote