Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
geo

Exclamation Check your power cable!

A couple of weeks ago, DW and I spent the weekend at one of our favorite camping spots. When I connected the power to the fiver, I noticed that the cable going into the connector felt "loose". We immediately started having problems, one which I suspected the campground still had an "open neutral" problem. However, as I troubleshot the problem, it became worst. Half the fiver did not have electricity - basically one side of the breaker box. As power was present at the park's connection, I suspected the power cable connectors.

Wow, was I correct! This weekend I pulled the covers off the twist connector for the fiver and felt that growing panic of what could of happened! Inside the connector, the white neutral wire was completely loose within the connector body. The hot (120 VAC, 50 amp) red wire was barely hanging on the lug connection about a centimeter away from the loose neutral wire! I could only nightmare about the arc, heat, and destruction that could have been caused by those two wires meeting before the park's circuit breaker tripped!

That is when I started looking closer at the connector and wire. (Note: This is NOT a Keystone problem, rather a Keystone supplier problem!) The cable manufacturer had stripped the exterior insulation back way too far and had clamped the strain relief lock on the four individual wires! After only a little more than a year of use, the wires had wiggled enough slack in the strain relief lock to render it useless. Just the weight of the power cable hanging from the fiver was enough to slowly pull the individual wires out of the connecting lugs! That doesn't even account for the strain placed on the connector by the process of connecting/disconnecting, dragging to storage, handling, etc.!

Check your power cable at the connector! Does it feel solid? Does it move back and forth any or does it seem well clamped in place? If it moves easily or doesn't feel solid, check it out or have it checked out.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Bob Landry

Also check the power cable connectors(both ends) and the trailer power inlet for signs of discoloration cause by overheating. If you see it replace the burned component. The resistive effect are cumalative and it can't be repaired exept by replacement.

This type of cord damage usually starts by arcing. it helps to leave the power pedestal breakers off until you are connected. Also, it will arc just as badly when it's being unplugged so save some $$$ and turn those breakers off.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:06 AM   #3
Retired_Jim

I second Bob's suggestion that everyone should turn off those power pedestal breakers before connecting and disconnecting. When arriving at a new campsite, I am finding that almost always I find the existing pedestal's are energized from the last users.

2006 GMC Yukon XL
2010 Keystone Springdale 266RLSSR
Retired_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:49 AM   #4
SAABDOCTOR

WOW THANKS GEO WILL TAKE MY CABLE APPART TONIGHT AND CHECK IT! ALSO. MR LANDRY YOU ARE RIGHT ALWAYS TURN OFF THE BREAKERS ON THE POST BEFORE PLUGGING IN OR REMOVING DANG LAST USERS GREAT THREAD THANKS.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
wgb1

I always try to remember and turn off the breaker before plugging and unplugging. I also always leave the breaker off when I am finished and find myself wondering if the next camper will figure out that the breaker is off. I have yet to find one turned off. They have ALWAYS been on before I plug in.

Also I will be checking my connections soon. Thanks for the heads up.

2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado
wgb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
Hunter757

I had no idea to turn off the breakers. Learn something new everyday thank you for the information.
I had also replace my 50amp end a few months ago it had broken set screws and stripped set screws causing problems. Its great that everyone shares!

Happy Camping

2008 F350 4x4 LB CC 6.4 twin turbo PSD
Prodigy P2 brake controler
Hijacker 16K Double pivot ultra
2007 Montana Mountaineer 307RK
New to us on 8/12/2011:
Hunter757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
JoeofNSB

Your Land Home too!

After recently being shocked in the shower of my land home (versus the wheeled one) and having the electrician discover a loose ground inside the meter causing a 20 volt backfeed thru the copper ground attached to the water heater, I have a good notion to check every connection - everywhere! Shocks in the shower were not fun!!!

Joe & Terri
2005 Raptor 3612DS ToyHauler "the Pearl"
2001 Ford F550 4X4 (or is that 4X6!!) 7.3L Crew Cab - "Jack Sparrow"
2010 Victory CrossCountry
2012 Bushtec Spartan trailer (behind Victory)
2006 Suzuki DR650
Trek EX8 Mountain Bike
Trek 7100 Hybrid
48" Penny Farthing Bike
Haro Sonix International Mountain Bike
Haro Sanford Road Bike with a B.O.B Trailer
JoeofNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
jbsmith

I suggest you also check the mounting of the 50A power connector on the back of the trailer. I've had mine plugged in since I brought it home and noticed today that the top of the plug was pulling away from the trailer under the weight of the cord. Apparently, when the factory shot the screws, they missed wood and put one into the rough opening and the other was just barely in solid material. I doubt it would have ever caused an electrical problem since it basically has another heavy connector on the backside of the plug, but it certainly opened the gasket enough to let water in. I reset the entire assembly and will caulk it good once it warms up in the spring.

2012 Keystone Cougar 331MKS
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L DRW
B&W Companion
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
CRUZIN 2

All good advice, I though I was the only one who turned the breaker off when plugging and unplugging the cord.

LARRY & LAVONNE HUMMEL
Full-Timer
GMC Sierra 3500 DRW D/A Denali 2011
ALPINE 2013 3535RE
CRUZIN 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:36 AM   #10
gbsb

We workcamp at a campground here in Texas. When we bring a camper to their site we point out the water the sewer and the power raising the lid on the power box and turn off the breaker. We tell the camper the breaker is off and almost all ask why we turn it off and we explain it to them. most say thanks a few don't beleive us and some don't care. Life is good we are camping every day living the dream. George
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote