Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 07:32 PM   #21
tech740

I have been using the steel version that still mounts to the gooseneck ball for a couple seasons and love it. Between the gooseneck to rail adapter(Curt X5) and the Reese slider hitch I had before there was too much movement when towing. I went to the Andersen and have no complaints. Only issue I have heard from people in Michigan is that you cannot double tow with a ball hitch. It has to be a pin.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
Old 05-06-2019, 08:41 PM   #22
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTumbleweed View Post
Hi all. I really can't express my appreciation for all your comments/feedback. Although I'm certainly going to be within the club of "been there, done that". One thing for sure is that I need to start looking for a truck that will be safe, rated appropriately and flat do the job ! ! ! For Sale; 1999 Ford F250 Crew Cab 4x4 ! ! ! haha......... Smiles, Carl
Yep, start looking, took me about three months of looking to find a nice used 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW, Aisin, 3.73's it id a whole bunch better TV than the 2001 Ram 2500 CDT with 3.55's.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
Old 05-07-2019, 07:06 PM   #23
twvette

Been using an Andersen for about 5 years now towing big heavy Weekend Warrior and Keystone toy haulers and love it. Liked it enough that have transferred old model to new truck. Just so simple and really like the extra clearance. Even the B&W turnover ball install was super easy on my '15 RAM as they knew people would be installing these so no frame drilling. Do need good front jacks to get trailer up a bit higher than a traditional 5'er hitch.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:45 AM   #24
idcruiserman

Loved the Andersen hitch. No issues at all. You're going to be way over weight with your truck though.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:52 AM   #25
cenders

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hi all. I really can't express my appreciation for all your comments/feedback. Although I'm certainly going to be within the club of "been there, done that". One thing for sure is that I need to start looking for a truck that will be safe, rated appropriately and flat do the job ! ! ! For Sale; 1999 Ford F250 Crew Cab 4x4 ! ! ! haha......... Smiles, Carl
Thank you, thank you. No need to put the lives of everyone on the road at risk, including your family. Towing in normal conditions is one thing, but plan for the worst (cross winds, steep hills, etc).

I'll always oversize my TV. Currently pulling a Fuzion 310 (shorter and lighter than your 369) with a 2013 GMC 3500HD Dually. The truck is my wife's daily driver lol.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:02 AM   #26
MustBeNice

When researching for a hitch for our new set up, I was looking at the Andersen too and ran across these (a simple google search for "Andersen Ultimate Hitch Failures" found them again).....

You may find this first link particularly interesting as it was a toy hauler.

Anderson Issue Link 1: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ch-falure.html

Anderson Issue Link 2: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...en-172847.html

After seeing these..... It really helped to make up my mind (among other things) to go with a "Beefy" B&W.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:21 AM   #27
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Welcome to the club, number of members unknown.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:23 AM   #28
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Yep, start looking, took me about three months of looking to find a nice used 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW, Aisin, 3.73's it id a whole bunch better TV than the 2001 Ram 2500 CDT with 3.55's.

Ram Commercial.....3.....2....1
Old 05-09-2019, 08:27 AM   #29
BadmanRick

If your GVWR of your trailer is 17000 lbs and the tow rating of your truck is 12000 you are 5000 lbs over weigh your insurance company WILL NOT COVER YOUR CLAIM IF YOU HAVE AN ACCIDENT. just saying a word to the wise.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:20 AM   #30
MarknLeanna

I have been towing a 13,000# 40 ft 5th wheel for over a year now. I can't imagine not towing with my Anderson hitch. Reasons: cost and dependability. Other advantages are weight (37 #'s !), turning radius, 10 minutes is all I need to completely remove or install, overall capacity etc. Did I mention no grease? No problems whatsoever! Just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you choose. Happy rv'ing!
Old 05-09-2019, 09:57 AM   #31
jlonginav

I have a 360FLS and use the Pullrite Superlite 20K hitch. So far I love it.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:01 AM   #32
jsb5717

In the right conditions almost anything can fail. It seems unlikely that those Andersen hitches simply buckled or sheared although who knows what one-off weakness came from the factory. A panic stop certainly shouldn't cause a failure. That kind of failure isn't typical and would be very interested in the results of a full investigation.

We know that any well-built widget can have a bad apple from mass-production...just look at our RV's. How many 5th wheel hitches have come loose or broken under duress? Every complex system, no matter how well built, has it's weakest point. You just hope that the current stress isn't greater than the strength of the weak spot. If you're involved in an accident something will break.

I suppose it's possible that Andersen's 20K rating is too high to manage the lateral pressure of a severe panic stop with the inertia behind a loaded 15k trailer. But that would cause the hitch to fail in the front, not the back. Something else is going on...

So far I love my Andersen. If further testing proves it isn't what it says then I'll switch.

Drive safely, defensively, at an appropriate distance when hauling these kinds of weights.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
Old 05-09-2019, 11:39 AM   #33
ibecleaningup

I have used the Anderson Ultimate hitch with a B&W turnover ball on my 2005 F250 crew cab 4x4 for several years pulling my Mountaineer 297rks and have never had a problem. Pulls much smoother then the B&W fifth wheel hitch that I used before this. Just my two cents but I feel much safer with the Anderson.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:40 AM   #34
hookd

I looked into the Anderson quit a bit before purchasing and that failure picture was the only one I have seen. I believe the final outcome on that one was due to the Rotoflex pin box (which Anderson specifically states is not compatible with the ultimate) and they were towing over some extreme angles. We tow a 2015 Impact 341 and love our AUH! Used a B&W turnover in our 2014 F350 and the Ford goose neck in our 2018 and I prefer the Ford system since you don't have to jump out and pull a pin on the ball. Good luck with the hunt and enjoy the rig!
Old 05-10-2019, 10:51 AM   #35
kfxgreenie

https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck-a...SACEgK_P_D_BwE

Andersen is so bad most of the hitch manufactures have somehow imitated it or made an off breed. One linked above, still weighs 150 Lb's, but hey its a steel 5th wheel for all the naysayer's.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:52 AM   #36
PDitty

I have a Montana High Country and have no problems with the Andersen hitch. Just love it, very easy to connect and disconnect. The best thing is that it is so light, it’s very easy to take it out of the truck bed, so you can use your truck for hauling other things
Old 05-11-2019, 01:52 PM   #37
gearhead

https://pullrite.com/2600
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
Old 05-11-2019, 02:31 PM   #38
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post
https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck-a...SACEgK_P_D_BwE

Andersen is so bad most of the hitch manufactures have somehow imitated it or made an off breed. One linked above, still weighs 150 Lb's, but hey its a steel 5th wheel for all the naysayer's.
This hitch & the hitch link from gearhead both look much more substantial than the Andersons.
IMHO the Andersons looked a bit lightweight for my 16.5k 5er. Yes they show they applied xXxX lbs vertically to test it, but to me they also need to show the test for the horizontal pull especially on the aluminum model.
I don't have any experience with any of these hitches mentioned, but will say that after 2-3 different 5th wheel hitches the past 15 years the B&W Companion was by far the best I've ever owned & would highly recommend to any 5th wheel owner.
Replacement undetermined
Old 05-14-2019, 07:30 AM   #39
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
IMHO the Andersons looked a bit lightweight for my 16.5k 5er. Yes they show they applied xXxX lbs vertically to test it, but to me they also need to show the test for the horizontal pull especially on the aluminum model.
I think that is a fair concern, especially for a heavier rig. I've actually got that very question into Andersen. Let's hope they provide an answer.

There is a lot to like about the Andersen...light, smooth, quiet...and I personally love how it pulls. Of course, it also needs to be safe.

How many hitch manufacturers also provide this kind of warranty?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ultimate Supplemental Warranty on Letterhead.pdf (446.6 KB, 129 views)
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
Old 05-14-2019, 10:12 PM   #40
John&Genny

As someone found out recently, even though Andersen has a 5M dollar warranty, they are under no obligation to pay it if they determine it wasn’t the fault of the hitch. They had a structural crack in their RV. Keystone/Lippert denied the warranty claim stating it was the fault of using a Andersen hitch. It probably wasn’t the hitch that caused the problem, most likely caused by a broken stud in the wall of the RV, but it gave Keystone a reason to deny the claim. Now they file the claim with Andersen, but they can say it wasn’t the fault of the hitch, instead being a structural flaw in the RV. So it would be easy to be caught between a rock and a hard place on something like this.

I haven’t heard anything from the original poster on whether or not Andersen paid the claim, but I’m assuming they haven’t at this point.

I really like my Andersen hitch, but I would really like to see Andersen work with Lippert and get some kind of certification that it is safe to use with their frame and will not void the warranty.
Closed Thread

Tags
hitch