Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2019, 08:28 AM   #1
freedomcallingrv

HELP! Broke a window!!!

We have a 2014 Raptor 410LEV. The emergency escape window in the garage shattered. We are traveling up the east coast and have to leave the current campground in 4 days. How do we get this done?

We have called several mobile repair guys and none return our calls. The local rv dealer says contact Keystone. I wrote Keystone this am but it’s a Saturday. The campground said call a glass place. They are closed lol. And we are in the middle of nowhere VA lol.

Any suggestions?
freedomcallingrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:14 AM   #2
SummitPond

Have you tried your insurance company? Perhaps they can connect you with a mobile glass service that works weekends.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:14 PM   #3
66joej

If there is a hardware store nearby get a piece of plexiglas and a roll of clear gorilla tape. The plexiglas is easy to cut with a handsaw.
Should get you on your way till you can get to a glass shop.
Not sure if an insurance claim is worth it. Your deductible would be the price of the window. YMMV

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 01:10 PM   #4
Frank G

Yep, I vote for the Plexiglas and Gorilla Tape. Next is Trekwood RV Parts. They show two sizes of emergency windows for that trailer. About $260.00

www.trekwood.com
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:09 PM   #5
travelin texans

Cover it with something til you can get it to a glass shop. Trekwood is selling the complete window not just the broken section.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:42 AM   #6
Roscommon48

1. call a glass company
2. dont waste your time call keystone, they DON'T replace items, you have to go through a dealer. Keystone is a manufacturer.
3. if you have to move, just cover the window however you can, go get something from home depot or so...
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:26 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Home Depot and Lowe's both sell plexiglass sheeting that can be cut to size to cover the window opening. If you use duct tape or gorilla tape, be sure to only apply the tape to the existing aluminum window frame. If you "slap it on the FILON siding" as soon as the sun hits the tape, it'll bake the adhesive into the FILON coating and when you do get home to replace the window, it will be "hell to pay" to get the stains off the FILON.

As for ordering the entire window vs ordering replacement glass, if you can find a glass dealer with the same tint (I assume you want the window to match the rest of your trailer windows) they will probably have to order the glass from their distributor. Few window dealers have the ability to cut/size tempered safety glass. What that means to you in the "immediate time frame" is that going to a glass dealer Monday morning, with 2 days left before you leave that area, will be a waste of time since it'll take them two to three weeks to get the glass from their distributor.

Best course of action, for now, being in the middle of a trip, is to cut a $10 sheet of plexiglass, tape it into place and "head on down the road". Deal with the permanent replacement after you get home and have time to wait around for a glass dealer to locate the correct tint and correct size tempered safety glass.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:40 PM   #8
Snoking

I when to the storage lot to look for our missing address book. I found that the drivers side bedroom window exploded into a thousand pieces. Going back tomorrow with a piece of plywood and a couple 2x4's, and screw a cover over the hole until I can figure out if a glass company can make a window or if I need the new escape window and frame. Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191114_113400.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	24366  
Old 11-14-2019, 06:18 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
I when to the storage lot to look for our missing address book. I found that the drivers side bedroom window exploded into a thousand pieces. Going back tomorrow with a piece of plywood and a couple 2x4's, and screw a cover over the hole until I can figure out if a glass company can make a window or if I need the new escape window and frame. Chris

Might want to rethink putting screws through the wall. You might be better off using duct tape and cutting the wood to fit the opening. You can clean glue residue off the frame, filling holes isn’t as easy.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:24 PM   #10
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Might want to rethink putting screws through the wall. You might be better off using duct tape and cutting the wood to fit the opening. You can clean glue residue off the frame, filling holes isn’t as easy.
Screws will go thru plywood, window opening and into 2x4s on the inside frame, sandwiching the opening. No holes in trailer, except the broken window.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:02 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

That’s good, just wanted to make sure.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:19 PM   #12
skids

A big and sudden gust of wind can shatter windows like that. Once in Golden, Colorado, a big wind cam up and broke windows in nearly even parked car. Only the cars that had a window rolled down a little were spared damage.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:28 PM   #13
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
A big and sudden gust of wind can shatter windows like that. Once in Golden, Colorado, a big wind cam up and broke windows in nearly even parked car. Only the cars that had a window rolled down a little were spared damage.
Glass company that is making a new pane for it said it was most likely reflected sun light off the Class B MH next to us in storage. I am going to ask to be moved, as this little MH has a large chrome insignia on the side with lots of different angles and curves. I will take a picture of it the next time I am there. Chris