Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2018, 09:00 AM   #21
Salsaman1a

I have a 2015 Tundra averaging 15.6 MPG unloaded. with My Cougar 30 RLI it averages 9.1 MPG or about 200 miles per tank. Hope this helps
Salsaman1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:30 AM   #22
Freeheel4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
All vehichle engines today are vastly more efficiant thanks to the computer managment. Back then it was constantly replacing points, setting the dwell angle (you younger folks google that), cleaning gaping the plugs and setting the timing. Don't miss that part. Just about every time I fueld that boat, which was a lot, guys would ask me what r.p.m. the secondaries on the 4 barrel would kick in. My answer would allways be "As soon as my hand hits the throttle.
I still break out my timing light and vacuum gauge often, but the computers sure are nice... If you pay out the nose for the software/tools to be able to see their inputs and outputs Never ending money pit.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:07 PM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

When I was learning how to fly my instructor would constantly tell me two things, one - no matter what fly the airplane, and two - NEVER, EVER trust the fuel guage. Know how much fuel you have and the fuel/hour usage. So with that in mind, you don't know your fuel milage until you fill up, note the milage, take your trip, fill up again and do the math.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:20 PM   #24
DOWva

Wow I want to buy your truck ASAP I only get 8-9 pulling my 5th wheel on my ram 2500

Doug & Diane * Richmond,VA
2014 Keystone Cougar
M-315 High Country 5th Wheel
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 392 Hemi

AirLifts
DOWva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:19 PM   #25
travelin texans

From my experiences towing, big trucks/big rvs, smaller trucks/smaller rvs the average mileage has been 8 to 11mpg depending on wind/terrain. Talking to motorhome folks that's also the range for a lot of them. Those with the Ford V10 would be tickled pink to see 8mpg.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:06 PM   #26
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

I have a trailer mode button on my Chevy Express 2500...man the rev's are long/high just like the fuel mileage.
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:26 PM   #27
Bredencamper

I tow with a Tundra. I have never reset the average mpg indicator. Over 19 fill ups I average 9.8 mpg when towing. This was calculated dividing the miles traveled with the gallons used. The average mpg indicator is around 14.5 when not towing.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:51 PM   #28
travelin texans

From few vehicles I've owned with computer mileage indicators have all been VERY optimistic, usually within 3 to 5+ mpg over what I've hand calculated.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:23 AM   #29
bbells

First, your every day mileage on your Tundra sounds very low. I get 18.5 to 20 every day and 21 if doing all highway on my 2016 5.7l tundra. When towing I will probably get about half that. Does your Tundra have the built in mpg gauge? If not, ignore the fuel gauge and figure how much goes in when the pump stops and do the math with your mileage. Yes, 26mpg with a trailer means your math or your data is wrong somewhere.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:53 AM   #30
sugarhillctd

Little late for an April Fools post, huh?
sugarhillctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:01 AM   #31
sonofcy

Sounds like it switched to Liters per Hundred Kilometers. Those numbers would be 9 and 8.25 in LPH. Totally normal mileage for that rig.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:27 AM   #32
tubacjohn

Smile

Driving downhill and the trailer helped push?
tubacjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:43 AM   #33
YstoneWY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyslinger View Post
My everyday non-towing gas milage in my 2012 Toyota 4WD Tundra with 5.7 engine is around 14.5 according to the built in gauge.

And then we bought our first trailer just a few weeks ago.

Soooo...before I left home to pic up our 7400lbs trailer in WI and tow it back to IL – that's about a 2+ hour drive – I reset my gauge before the drive up to make sure my normal 14.5 to 15 mpg was "true".

Once there I got all hooked up ready to leave and resent my gauge for the trip down, fully expecting about 9 mpg from what I've been reading, but to my surprise my gauge was reading between 26 mpg and 28.5 mpg.

Yes, 26 mpg and 28.5 mpg. Something must be wrong, right?

In total the trip up and down took a bit less then a 1/2 tank...that in total is about a 4.5 hour drive, with a 7400 lb trailer for half that drive. That's not too bad at all...right?

Soooo...once home I parked the trailer and continued driving normally for the rest of the week, until it was time fill up. I took a look at the gauge before fill up, that as now reading about 22, which would seem right on average if I drove off the other half of the tank without a trailer.

I filled the tank and reset the gauge, to find I'm getting my normal 14-15 mpg again, that means the gauge is working fine.

So a few theories:

1. We were heading "south" on the way back with the trailer - and that's downhill...???

2. My trailer was so heavy, that my front wheels where barely touching the ground, and my gauge gets it's reading from front wheel tire rotation....???

3. Northern winds push me along? But this was mostly back roads driving for the most part, through small towns...with some hi speed 60-65 mph driving as we got on route 12 near the border.

That's the best I can come up with.

Anyone want to take a stab at this?
I would guess topography and wind speed/direction had much to do with the difference...@ 65mph with my 2014 F-250 SD & Cougar Lite 27RKS I went from 15.5 mpg with 10-15 mph trailing wind in Wyoming (some downhill) to 7.5 mpg @60mph in 35-40 gusty headwinds in flat Kansas, same day!!
YstoneWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:17 AM   #34
Paultherock

I would say that your gauge is reading gas consumption. Your gad consumption went up while towing the trailer. What is the units of measure on that gauge?
Paultherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:57 AM   #35
LFord

Anyone's gas milage increase with trailer.like big time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeheel4life View Post

Sounds like you may need to bust out the pencil, paper, and calculator to verify MPG

I agree; I ignore the fuel computer and its "calculated mileage" and gallons used in my F-150 because I know it's a bit too generous on the mileage and underestimates the gallons used.

I the use the miles traveled and actual gallons put in between fill-ups to calculate actual mileage.

That's what works for me; YMMV ("Your Mileage May Vary!")
LFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:50 AM   #36
BadmanRick

First things first. TOYOTA REQUIRES A WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION HITCH TO PULL THAT LARGE OF A TRAILER. Mine plants my front wheels firmly on the ground. Very unsafe conditions.
I see all kinds of strange readings on my Platinum Tundra as far as the onboard file mileage goes. I always check my mileage manualy. Depending on the wind conditions, going up or down hill I get between 9-14 mpg pulling the trailer. This is on par with most pickup trucks.
Hope this helps.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:51 PM   #37
Nagrompj

We pulled our trailer from PA to SD and averaged about 10 mpg checking the mileage manually. BUT when we got to I90 in SD our average mpg for the hole trip jumped to 16 mpg🤔 Well coming home I figured it out when I had a hard time just holding the speed limit. We had a strong tail wind when heading west that pushed us along, almost drifting from one side of SD to the other. But we had to fight that same wind when headed east.
You don’t notice the wind until you attach a big parachute to your truck.
Nagrompj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:55 PM   #38
Old Mustanger

Any chance you have a heavier foot when not towing (jack rabbit starts etc.) than when you are towing?
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:47 AM   #39
Fergie

The best way to check mileage is with pencil and paper. Miles divided by gallons.
Fergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:49 AM   #40
Moneyslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergie View Post
The best way to check mileage is with pencil and paper. Miles divided by gallons.
Yea but then I might find out that this is not true!!

UPDATE: i've been driving around now for about 3 weeks since bringing trailer home and noticed now, with NO trailer, I'm averaging 17.5 mpg when I used to average 14-14.5...??? Driving in same local area.

Will have to measure MPG the old fashioned way I guess. Will let you know what I find.

FYI I do have a Blue Ox weight distribution hitch but was not setup 100% correct at time of trailer purchase, but Tundra pulled 7400lbs just fine.
Moneyslinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas