Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2018, 02:32 PM   #1
Hossca

Gray Galley Tank

I bought a new 2017 Keystone RV Cougar X-Lite Travel Trailer 26RBI.
I have not camped yet in this trailer. On my monitor panel it list gray tank, black tank, fresh water tank, and galley tank. I asked owner relations if there was indeed two gray tanks. They told me yes about 38 gallons apiece and there is two gray handles to dump the gray water. But there is only one gray handle for the gray water, and one handle for the black water.

Can anyone tell me if there really is two gray tanks? If there is will both empty with the one gray dump handle?
Hossca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:21 PM   #2
TAZ23

According to Keystones website you have 30 Gallons of black water and 60 gallons of grey water so it would seem that you have two grey tanks. Look for the other handle to be tucked away somewhere separate from the other two handles. From your floor plan I would start by looking around the axles.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:15 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

The 2nd gray tank handle is often hidden.....well. Mine is a silver handle sticking through the frame in front of the front tire of the trailer horizontal to the ground. You have to look for it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:31 PM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Chances are you'll need a flashlight and a tarp yo lay on your back on. Look up everywhere on the street side. The suggestions above are good starting places.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:22 PM   #5
Alpine

Well you must have played "hide n seek" as a youngster! Now you get to play again!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:19 PM   #6
Ksupaul

My 34TSB TT has two grey tanks with only one dump valve/handle.

~~edit: was told I have two grey tanks and one dump grey valve by dealer, however don’t think that’s accurate. All Specs for my trailer seem to show 1 60 gallon grey tank.
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:11 PM   #7
DJ Cruz

On my Cougar, there are two grey tank valve handles. One next to the Black Tank Valve handle, which is next to the drain, and the other is just in front of the first axle.

The valve by the axle is the galley tank. The one next to the drain is the grey tank (which is the shower and bathroom sink).

I drained my tanks for the first time yesterday. It took me a week longer than I wanted because I was afraid to make a crappy mistake... lol...

Make sure to drain the black tank first, then close the valve, then drain the grey tank by the drain, then the galley followed after.

You should have a saniflush system where you can flush out the black tank too.

Hope this helps, I'm new to this RV game.
DJ Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:42 AM   #8
Javi

Just one of the places that they hide the valves...

Javi
Old 01-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #9
XTeacher

We have two gray tanks on our Keystone Bullet 248rks. One of them, plus the black tank valve is under the slide, and the other one is just behind the slide (rear kitchen).
XTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:16 AM   #10
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Cruz View Post
On my Cougar, there are two grey tank valve handles. One next to the Black Tank Valve handle, which is next to the drain, and the other is just in front of the first axle.

The valve by the axle is the galley tank. The one next to the drain is the grey tank (which is the shower and bathroom sink).

I drained my tanks for the first time yesterday. It took me a week longer than I wanted because I was afraid to make a crappy mistake... lol...

Make sure to drain the black tank first, then close the valve, then drain the grey tank by the drain, then the galley followed after.

You should have a saniflush system where you can flush out the black tank too.

Hope this helps, I'm new to this RV game.
You really should drain the galley before the Grey tank. The waste from the kitchen sink usually has food waste from washing dishes and can leave that waste in your hoses, which will smell almost as bad as your black tank waste. So, the order should be, black, galley, and finally Grey.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:45 PM   #11
DJ Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
You really should drain the galley before the Grey tank. The waste from the kitchen sink usually has food waste from washing dishes and can leave that waste in your hoses, which will smell almost as bad as your black tank waste. So, the order should be, black, galley, and finally Grey.
Yeah I wish I can do that, however the valve for the grey is necessary to be open for the galley to drain. Weird.

I asked Tacoma RV about it, and they said that in order to drain the galley, I needed to have the grey open as well. I guess it's in series.

So my system now is to drain the black while utilizing the saniflush system, after it's draining clear water, I'll close the black tank valve, then drain the grey, and then the galley. Once drained, I'll close the grey valves and re-drain the black tank with the saniflush in order to clean the drain hose.

I'm still new at this so hopefully I'll be a pro after a few more trips.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:07 AM   #12
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Cruz View Post
Yeah I wish I can do that, however the valve for the grey is necessary to be open for the galley to drain. Weird.

I asked Tacoma RV about it, and they said that in order to drain the galley, I needed to have the grey open as well. I guess it's in series.

So my system now is to drain the black while utilizing the saniflush system, after it's draining clear water, I'll close the black tank valve, then drain the grey, and then the galley. Once drained, I'll close the grey valves and re-drain the black tank with the saniflush in order to clean the drain hose.

I'm still new at this so hopefully I'll be a pro after a few more trips.
Unless you have a really strange setup your galley gray and your bathroom gray are 2 separate tanks and should drain from separate points into your larger sewer dump pipe. With that being said, unless your galley tank drains through or into your bathroom gray tank there shouldn't be any reason to have to have both valves open to drain your galley tank. If your hooked up to drain your tanks you should be able to drain galley tank first without bothering the black and gray valves that are together.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:54 PM   #13
Hossca

The following is the answer I received from Keystone about the gray handle and black handle to empty the tanks.

"Thank you for your reply. You have a 2017 Cougar 26RBIWE, the grey water capacity is 76 gallons total. That would be equivalent to around 38 gallons each. There should be a handle for each tank. Typically if the handle is not visible, it would be located under the unit behind the tires, in between the axles. Thank you and have a great day."

I have been under the trailer, my son had been under the trailer and we searched every square inch. There is only one gray handle and one black handle under this trailer. Could it be the one gray handle empties both gray tanks?
Old 01-13-2018, 06:05 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossca View Post
The following is the answer I received from Keystone about the gray handle and black handle to empty the tanks.

"Thank you for your reply. You have a 2017 Cougar 26RBIWE, the grey water capacity is 76 gallons total. That would be equivalent to around 38 gallons each. There should be a handle for each tank. Typically if the handle is not visible, it would be located under the unit behind the tires, in between the axles. Thank you and have a great day."

I have been under the trailer, my son had been under the trailer and we searched every square inch. There is only one gray handle and one black handle under this trailer. Could it be the one gray handle empties both gray tanks?

If you have 76 gallons of gray tank water on that trailer it will be 2 tanks....look "everywhere".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:44 AM   #15
Ksupaul

Hossca

Not sure this helps you but I edited my original post in this thread. I was told by the dealer I had two gray tanks and one gray dump valve. However all specs online show I have 1 - 60 gallon gray tank with one dump valve. I have not used the sewer and water as of yet. It’s still winterized (new trailer). So I can’t be real sure but my point is maybe you do truly have one gray dump valve. But I agree that 76 gallons would be a lot for one tank. I think 60 is a lot too but those are my specs......if correct.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:47 AM   #16
TAZ23

What I am seeing on line is you have 60 gallons of grey water capacity. The number of tanks you have is not mentioned. I am still inclined to believe you have 3 tanks, 1 black and 2 grey @ 30 gallons each. If you can't find a third handle I would look for a very small hole in the coroplast underbelly where a handle has possibly worked it's way out. ( they are only screwed on to the gate valve and can fall off )
Old 01-14-2018, 09:01 AM   #17
Ksupaul

I agree with you TAZ. The two sources that indicate one tank is this one: https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2018-...-34tsb-tr33749

And this orientation video: https://youtu.be/yKZPD8Be5iI

Guess we will find out come spring!!
Old 01-14-2018, 12:26 PM   #18
Hossca

Thanks Ksupaul, I just bought this new trailer 2017 closeout. It is still in storage waiting for spring to use it. I am taking it into Camping World next month where I bought it, not the same dealer, for a recall on the jacks. Hopefully they can search and let me know whats up. One gray handle or two. Perhpas one could have fallen off towing it 400 miles, but there is no hold or tear in the underbelly. It would be nice if a person who actually build this model could get on this form and offer some insight.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:09 PM   #19
DJ Cruz

Thank you, on my next trip to the dump I'll be sure to try the grey first then the galley. Maybe I was just confused.

In any event, I'll find out the first weekend in Feb. :-)

Thanks again.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:39 PM   #20
oldmanbill

I have a 30FKV. The front kitchen grey water drains into the black drain in front of the axels, the rear bathroom tank has its own drain behind the axels. Three valves, two drain connections.
oldmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank