Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2018, 07:03 PM   #41
captcolour

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg71361 View Post
Does this recall affect the Hi Spec Series 06 wheel?
This recall was specifically for the S5 wheel.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:07 PM   #42
captcolour

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilli22 View Post
Sorry, I should have been clear with my question. Are your new wheel 6.5 wide? I am in the process of of replacing my wheels and came across this thread. As you have stated, trying to find 6.5 width wheel is difficult. I have 6 on 5-1/2 pattern which limits my choices even more.

I reached out to Sailun and received a response stating this:

Jim, thank you for your inquiry to Sailun tires. In regard to your question about wheel width, a 6.5" wide wheel is the recommended wheel width, 6.0" and 7.0" are acceptable.

"If you are looking for optimal performance, I would recommend the 6.5" wheel, especially, if you are purchasing them new. The 6.0" wheel will pull the beads together more than the 6.5" wheel. This results in the tire footprint on the road not being flat, but radiused slightly. It could cause irregular shoulder wear. The other factor when purchasing wheels is the maximum inflation capability of the wheel. Some are 80 psi and some are 110 psi. Although you may not need to inflate your tires to 110 psi, you may need to go higher than 80 psi, so I would recommend the higher rated wheel. There shouldn't be a significant difference in cost.

The S637 is a great tire for your application. I have attached a load and inflation chart for your reference so you can make sure your tires are inflated to the correct pressure based on the loaded weight of your trailer. If you have any questions about this chart, please do not hesitate to email me back."

So I am left with the choice of HiSpec 6.5 width or Sendal 6 width with irregular wear.
Any options?
I have them mounted on 6" width. Again I could not find any 8 lug 16" 6.5" wide wheels. When I contacted Sailun, they told me the same thing: recommended 6.5", but 6" to 7" was acceptable. When I pushed them further, they recommended 7" over 6" if you couldn't find a 6.5". Well I couldn't find a 7" either, so went with the Sendel 6". I'm not worried about wear. Rather have piece of mind with wheels not failing/cracking. I can monitor tire wear. As others have said, they have the Sailuns on 6" without any issues.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:22 PM   #43
jwilli22

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcolour View Post
I have them mounted on 6" width. Again I could not find any 8 lug 16" 6.5" wide wheels. When I contacted Sailun, they told me the same thing: recommended 6.5", but 6" to 7" was acceptable. When I pushed them further, they recommended 7" over 6" if you couldn't find a 6.5". Well I couldn't find a 7" either, so went with the Sendel 6". I'm not worried about wear. Rather have piece of mind with wheels not failing/cracking. I can monitor tire wear. As others have said, they have the Sailuns on 6" without any issues.
I am glad I found your thread or I would have gone with the S5s. I am going with the Sendal T03, I think it's my best option. I am sorry for all the trouble you went through but thanks for sharing, it really helped me.
jwilli22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:52 PM   #44
captcolour

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilli22 View Post
I am glad I found your thread or I would have gone with the S5s. I am going with the Sendal T03, I think it's my best option. I am sorry for all the trouble you went through but thanks for sharing, it really helped me.
I would avoid the T03 as it is the same design as the recalled HiSpec wheels. Perhaps better quality, but I would worry. Go with the Sendel T11. Much better wheel. They have the 6-5.5" pattern:
T11-66655BM**16X6 6/5.50Glad I could help you.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:20 PM   #45
bg71361

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcolour View Post
This recall was specifically for the S5 wheel.
Thank you for clarifying.
bg71361 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rack