Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2012, 07:14 AM   #1
TickTackler

Considering Keystone purchase in NJ

Hi all, I'm looking to purchase a TT before March 2013 and Keystone is a top consideration. The 2 KS models I'm looking into are Bullet 230BHS and Passport 2300BH. This is because of the bunkhouse (2 kids) and the light weight. My max tow is 5200 lbs (2011 Traverse with tow package).

Was not able to see either model at the Hershey RV show. Really disappointed in that. But I did look at other models in the same brand. I like what I saw in both Keystone and other brands.

I have been lurking here for a couple days. Thanks to everyone who has posted both positive and negative about Keystone. A lot of great tips too. Perfect for a newbie like me.

Having a hard time discerning the differences between the 2 models. They seem very similar. Any input on that?

I will be considering myself a weekender type camper. But I would like to have the ability for an early winter trip. Nothing hardcore. I see the Bullet has a thermal package. Realistically what is the lowest temperature one would consider camping in with that model given few modifications? The only thing I'm willing to do is heat tape around external water lines. No skirting, no extra insulation. Could it handle nightime temps of 20-25 degrees with above freezing daytimes?

Jason
TickTackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Jason, I don't know where you are in Jersey but it might be worth a call to CW in Lakewood. I think they have that model Bullet on the lot even though it does not show in on-line inventory. Easy to get to from the GSP. Good luck in your search, Hank

Google Bullet 230BHS for the trailer and stock #.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
AnnaK

Hi Jason,

Those are the very models we, too, are comparing! We're in the Lehigh Valley of PA, practically neighbors

The differences I've seen so far which are making us lean toward the Passport, are:

* The Bullet has less kitchen counter space. We tend to cook from scratch and prep area is important.
* The Bullet has a single large sink, the Passport has a dual sink (smaller) with individual sink covers.
* The slideout in the Bullet seems to be raised; in the Passport, it's level with the floor.
* The dinette in the Bullet has two opposite bench seats (nice). In the Passport, it's a U-shaped seating area. The Passport table seems a little larger.
* The Bullet has a very convenient laundry chute. Wet towels won't smell up the interior. I like that feature a lot.

I'm still working on comparing the standard equipment on these two models.
AnnaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
Paddler

Hi Ticktackler,

Hate being the party pooper but...you're looking at more trailer than your Traverse can handle. Your Traverse is rated for 5200 lbs and the Passport 2300BH has a gross capacity of 6800 lbs. Always compare the max TV capacity against the max TT capacity.

Another issue is the Traverse is FWD (unless you have the AWD option), which in my opinion does not make for the best tow vehicle. My recommendation would be to look at smaller trailers or consider a more capable tow vehicle.

Again, sorry for the negitivity,
Old 10-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
TickTackler

Thanks Paddler. Since my post I was reading more on this forum and learned about gross combined weight. I never knew that max towing capacity was figured with just a driver! Seems misleading to me (advertising a tow capacity that can never really be used).

Anyway, I am now down to a max tow of 4500 lbs after I load up my family and gear. Looking into Koala and KZ.

Jason
TickTackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
fla-gypsy

That's using your head, nice going
Old 10-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #7
SAABDOCTOR

HI GLAD YOU ASKED QUESTIONS BEFORE SPENDING VERY WISE!!! GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SERCH. ALSO THERE ARE SOME GOOD DEALS OUT THRE FOR A MORE CAPABLE TV. AGAIN GOOD LUCK AND ASK QUESTIONS
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote