Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2018, 06:12 AM   #41
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpankowski View Post
I bought this portable unit Surge Guard model 34950

https://www.campingworld.com/50-amp-...th-lcd-display

before I read this forum post. Everyone seems to like the progressive industries. Does anyone have experience with the SurgeGuard unit? I'd hate to have to buy another EMS.
I have the 30A Progressive Industries portable for my trailer. I am starting to think I should just get the PI inline and take the hit on cost over stress factor.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:15 AM   #42
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
OK, four pages later I am convinced I need I surge protector. A no brainer, I knew that. I had the inline PI 30 amp unit on my TT. It wasn't too difficult to install and worked well. I am looking to purchase the PI (external) 50 amp for my 5er. With a good lock(Is that "box" that locks at the pedestal worth the money?) and weather protection it will do the job.
I have seen some on here that use a surge protector and a Hughes Autoformer together. Are both necessary? This unit, Hughes Autoformers RV220-50SP Voltage Booster (with Surge Protection) offers protection and voltage boost. It is more expensive than the PI unit, but is this the correct way to "support" surge protection with power boost ?
Like anybody else I just want to get the right tool the first time.
Thanks,
RMc
I have that lock box on my portable PI, I haven't used a pedestal yet that I can lock it to. I am in Canada however.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:17 AM   #43
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
The weight on Amazon say's 35 lbs.
Yes ,you will not be able to sprint from the police with that under your arm. I guess someone could drive up and lug it to their vehicle and then run.
That weight with the top handle will give me an excuse to not go to the gym. Just go out and hoist that thing over my head a few times in the morning. Workout complete.
RMc
LOL Laredo

Old 07-05-2018, 06:30 AM   #44
Northofu1

I just put a price watch on it at camelcamelcamel, fingers crossed

Old 07-05-2018, 08:06 AM   #45
Laredo Tugger

northofu1:"I have that lock box on my portable PI, I haven't used a pedestal yet that I can lock it to. I am in Canada however".
For the price of the Autoformer, I would probably use an extension cord from the pedestal and lock it to my wheel/axle under the 5er. That would solve the weather exposure as well.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:51 AM   #46
itat

I have a 30A hard wired PI EMS and a non-surge protector Hughes Autoformer. I made a 10’ cord to go from the trailer to the Autoformer and use 25’ extension cords as required from the Autoformer to the pedestal. I use a cable lock to lock it to a stabilizer jack. The Autoformer is not weather-proof so I sit in on a brick, cover it with a larger blue recycling box (upside down) and put another brick on top of the blue box to prevent it from being tipped over by the wind.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:04 PM   #47
johnlewis

We have a surge protector because the approximately $500.00 I spent on it protects my refrigerator ($1,700.00 replacement cost), A/C units ($600.00 to $800.00 replacement cost), and expensive electronics.
The equipment in an RV is designed for 120 VAC +/-10% (108 VAC to 132 VAC). Motors in A/C units operate off wattage (volts x amps = watts). If the voltage goes to low, the motor tries to draw too many amps, so it gets too hot and burns up. If the voltage gets too high (above 132 VAC), it can get fried by the high voltage. Electronics are expensive to replace, and you have to wait for shipment from the manufacturer. Do you want to be down for 2 to 3 weeks, waiting for a new electronics board?
We have a Progressive Industries SSP 50-XL. It has shut down because of voltage too high or too low 3 times, so I think it is worth it.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:12 AM   #48
zippersbs

I have a question? I have worked with electricity for many years in houses & some businesses, but not so much in RV's. Nobody in all the responses I have read said anything about 30 amp or 50 amp surge protector breakers, why is that? If the main box has enough room for a surge protector breaker, would this not serve the same purpose? These breakers i've seen are half the price of the overpriced surge pigtails. It's actually cheaper buying a spa/sauna exterior box that has the surge breaker already installed & making your own for a 1/3 of the price, just a thought. I just wanted to know whether the surge main breaker would work the same as the surge pigtail? Any thoughts?
zippersbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:46 AM   #49
JRTJH
Site Team

If surge protection is all you're looking for, then a "surge protection circuit breaker" may be cheaper. If you're looking at voltage protection, ground fault protection, neutral/hot lead reversal protection as well as surge protection, then those features aren't available in a surge protection circuit breaker or in a sauna/hot tub connection box... At least I haven't seen one that has the additional features.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:36 AM   #50
Howie

Can someone help me with a question concerning the Progressive ems 50 I just ordered? It didn't occur to me until I ordered it but if you are in a camp ground that only has 30 amp service, can the 50 come into play/use? I haven't seen any comments about this situation.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:05 AM   #51
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
Can someone help me with a question concerning the Progressive ems 50 I just ordered? It didn't occur to me until I ordered it but if you are in a camp ground that only has 30 amp service, can the 50 come into play/use? I haven't seen any comments about this situation.
Yes... just use a 30 to 50 amp dogbone
Old 07-09-2018, 08:21 AM   #52
JRTJH
Site Team

Howie,

If you use a 30 amp to 50 amp adapter "dogbone" it will connect the single phase 30 amps to both legs of your 50 amp RV plug. So the PI EMS will detect the incoming voltage on both legs and your RV will function "the same as when plugged into 50 amps"... The significant difference is that you will only have 30 amps (rather than 50 amps on two legs/100 amps) of available power. Your power distribution panel will share the 30 amps with any circuit breaker that calls for power, but the maximum available power is reduced.

So, everything in your RV will function the same as when you're on 50 amp power, but not everything can be turned on at the same time (like when you're plugged into 50 amp power).....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote