Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2017, 06:33 AM   #1
Tim-Rhonda

Dreaded 4 Point Level UP Blank Touchpad Screen

I think our touch pad on our Lippert 3.0 Ground Control has decided its had enough. Unit is a 2015 333MKS (2 years and 5 months old). Last weekend at campground when I unhitched (above level) it worked, hit the auto level button and it ran through its sequence and leveled coach and the screen flickered and went blank. Battery switch was in the on position all weekend. In the meantime I had disconnected battery trying to reset to no avail. The day we departed turned unit on lit up, blank screen, I hit the left & right buttons and it went through its sequence of retracting rear jacks and brought the coach back up to the unhitched height.
At home turned unit on to unhitch and raise front blank screen. Diagnosed with 2 fully charged batteries ( volt meter reads 12+ volts), still blank screen. Unplugged the touch pad and waited, plugged back in and it just beeped every 15 or 20 seconds? Still a lit up blank screen. I'm waiting to hear back from Lippert. I can't seem to find out what the warranty is (laughing because its probably 1 year)on their web page. I'm hoping this won't be a 200 dollar repeat every 2-3 years. Are there any other resets or things I can try? One of the batteries is the original (2.5 years old) but it sits on the battery tender. Could the battery just be week when a load/draw is put on it? Thanks in advance.

Tim
08 Fleetwood Niagara popup
USN Chief Retired
Tim-Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:24 PM   #2
pmf

I just went through some issues with mine and it turned out to be a low battery. The techs at Lippert told me that it runs exclusively on the battery. Another thing you can try is to unplug the cable that plugs into the back of it for about 30 seconds and then plug it back in. Mine was doing the same thing until I had it plugged into shore power for a couple days.

Hope this helps,
Pat
2018 Keystone Sprinter 334FWFLS
pmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:31 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

One old battery and one new battery? Take them both out and load test them separately. If one is bad, it will pull the other one down. Batteries should always be replaced in pairs.

When the batteries are hooked up, are the trailer feeds connected to the same battery? If so then they need to be hooked up to separate batteries. Use the positive to positive and negative to negative between the batteries, but hook up the TRAILER feed positive to one battery and the TRAILER negative feed to the other battery.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:18 PM   #4
kenc1325

We just purchased a 2017 Montana High Country it comes with one battery i thought this wasn't enough should I install a 2nd or a third battery do not have a generator so there is lots of room
kenc1325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:28 PM   #5
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenc1325 View Post
We just purchased a 2017 Montana High Country it comes with one battery i thought this wasn't enough should I install a 2nd or a third battery do not have a generator so there is lots of room
The question would be do you Boondock. If you Boondock, you need at least two 6 volt batteries.

If you always have electric hook-up then all you need is one 12 volt battery.
Javi
Old 09-02-2017, 03:51 PM   #6
kenc1325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
The question would be do you Boondock. If you Boondock, you need at least two 6 volt batteries.

If you always have electric hook-up then all you need is one 12 volt battery.
Javi
We do not boondock but thought two batteries would be a better back up.

Thanks
Old 09-02-2017, 04:07 PM   #7
Javi

Quote:
We do not boondock but thought two batteries would be a better back up.

Thanks
Really the only time the battery is utilized is the time between disconnecting from the truck and plugging in to shore power..

However, some high draw items require a fully charged battery... I've seen folks pulling their hair out about a bad water pump or slide motor when it was a bad battery.

Javi
Old 09-02-2017, 04:10 PM   #8
kenc1325

Quote:
Really the only time the battery is utilized is the time between disconnecting from the truck and plugging in to shore power..

However, some high draw items require a fully charged battery... I've seen folks pulling their hair out about a bad water pump or slide motor when it was a bad battery.

Javi
Thanks Javi so in saying that would it be better to have a 2nd battery.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:19 PM   #9
Javi

Quote:
Thanks Javi so in saying that would it be better to have a 2nd battery.
The trick is to keep the battery fully charged while in storage. The battery disconnect (if equipped) doesn't actually remove all draw from the battery... You will need to either keep the trailer plugged in, put a portable trickle charger on it or install another disconnect at the battery. I keep mine plugged in while in storage and check the water level in the cells every couple of weeks..

So, no a second battery is an unnecessary expense and having one wouldn't change the above..

Javi
Old 09-02-2017, 04:26 PM   #10
kenc1325

Quote:
The trick is to keep the battery fully charged while in storage. The battery disconnect (if equipped) doesn't actually remove all draw from the battery... You will need to either keep the trailer plugged in, put a portable trickle charger on it or install another disconnect at the battery. I keep mine plugged in while in storage and check the water level in the cells every couple of weeks..

So, no a second battery is an unnecessary expense and having one wouldn't change the above..

Javi
Thanks Javi
Thanks for the feed back really appreciate it.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:19 AM   #11
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-Rhonda View Post
I think our touch pad on our Lippert 3.0 Ground Control has decided its had enough. Unit is a 2015 333MKS (2 years and 5 months old). Last weekend at campground when I unhitched (above level) it worked, hit the auto level button and it ran through its sequence and leveled coach and the screen flickered and went blank. Battery switch was in the on position all weekend. In the meantime I had disconnected battery trying to reset to no avail. The day we departed turned unit on lit up, blank screen, I hit the left & right buttons and it went through its sequence of retracting rear jacks and brought the coach back up to the unhitched height.
At home turned unit on to unhitch and raise front blank screen. Diagnosed with 2 fully charged batteries ( volt meter reads 12+ volts), still blank screen. Unplugged the touch pad and waited, plugged back in and it just beeped every 15 or 20 seconds? Still a lit up blank screen. I'm waiting to hear back from Lippert. I can't seem to find out what the warranty is (laughing because its probably 1 year)on their web page. I'm hoping this won't be a 200 dollar repeat every 2-3 years. Are there any other resets or things I can try? One of the batteries is the original (2.5 years old) but it sits on the battery tender. Could the battery just be week when a load/draw is put on it? Thanks in advance.

Tim
I have always been told when replacing batteries in banks that for best performance they all should be replaced, reason being the charge rate is supposedly only going to charge what the weakest battery can take, so the newer battery just limps along at the same charge as the weaker battery. The same reason you should only use matched/same size batteries together.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote