Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2017, 05:55 AM   #21
Warnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
This my pin box... 12k trailer..

Javi
Interesting, thanks Javi... this is my first 5th wheel so still learning.. guess mine will never come off.. hahahaha

2016 Impact 311
2016 Chevy Silverado High Country CC
Warnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:56 PM   #22
saturn450

Thanks all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
saturn450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:37 AM   #23
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Just a little more of a chime in - what does the OP consider chucking? We have owned three 5th wheel RVs and cannot for the life of me, fully understand someone elses idea of 'chucking'. Yes, there is an occasional noise but not to the point of real annoyance. Yes, concrete roads cause noise and rattle - horrible at times, especially on I-10 in AZ and NM and even worse in LA. But that's the road. Is my B&W hitch in the Ford pucks loose? Occasionally those 15/16" wrench size nuts need to be tightened and pretty tightly vs the B&W instructions or it clanks and you can feel some movement. As far as king pin boxes, we have never had anything beyond what the RV manufacturer supplied. Would I like a fancy high buck hitch? Of course. Do I need it, i.e. bandage another problem? Not so far in about 100K hauling those three 5ers over many lousy highways and byways in the US.

I suggest that the OP check everything for snugness and get some miles under his belt before spending the bucks to install band-aids for a non problem. Oh, don't forget to change the China Bomb tires for something decent
Chucking is not the noise made at the connection points, it's the bouncing while you drive. Concrete roads tend to be worse and where most people notice chucking. Some set-ups are worse than others. Basically, as the 5er goes over the expansion joints in the road, it causes a bouncing effect on the TV. If you can imagine, it's like driving down the road with a few of your friends standing on the rear bumper and trying to bounce your truck up and down while you drive. It is a very irritating effect and tightening bolts will not fix it.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:36 AM   #24
Barbell

When we started this journey about 5 years ago, we pulled w/ a 3/4 ton CTD long bed with a Reese 16 K hitch. Montana came w/ a Mor Ryde pin box. Had quite a bit of chucking at first. Made several adjustments; more/less air in bags, rearranged weight in trailer, greased hitch plate, etc. Helped but it never really went away until we traded for a 1 ton dually long bed with a Curt 20 K hitch which came with a nylon insert that fits on the king pin. I can't say what made the difference but have no chucking at all now. We have been to the East Coast and New England with both trucks several times over the same roads so I am not comparing apples to apricots here.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:31 PM   #25
Mic

Any new updates?
Old 08-20-2017, 01:33 PM   #26
chuckster57
Site Team

The nylon disc is to eliminate the need for grease, doesn't do anything for the bounce.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote