Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2017, 07:22 AM   #1
warsw

Montana vs Alpine

I have been looking at the Montana line and have noticed there are a few different floorplans in the Alpine line. Is there any real difference between these two models or is one as good as the other?
Old 03-10-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
gearhead

I have no real life experience, but hey it's the internet, I'll tell you what I think. Without looking at the specs side by side, my perception is the Alpine has some better trim and a few better features. If I had it to do all over I would just suck it up and shell out the bucks for the Alpine, if I was going to stay with Thor/Keystone. But I would also have to look at Northwoods just based on their reputation, true or not. I will say the Alpine owners on here sound happy.
Looking at pin weights awhile back only 1 or 2 look OK for a SRW 1 ton.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:49 AM   #3
bsmith0404

To be honest with you, we didn't notice a big difference between the two when we were shopping. At the time the Alpine had a few additional features we liked that were not available on the Montana. Additionally, the Montana dealer was VERY proud on his line and the price reflected it. Now that we have 3 years of ownership under our belts with the Alpine I can tell you they would be the first brand we looked at if we decided to get a new 5er.

This question has been asked a couple times on this forum, do a search on it and you will find some good reading.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:39 PM   #4
gnirwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Now that we have 3 years of ownership under our belts with the Alpine I can tell you they would be the first brand we looked at if we decided to get a new 5er.
I agree, I wouldn't look elsewhere in this price range. Many components are the same between Mfg's but there are enough differences, especially in decor and floor plans that make each unique. Some differences I am aware of are: Alpine has a dishwasher std., a fairly good quality G rated tires all models, heat pump all models. Alpine also uses Lippert pin boxes and Lippert suspension vs. Montana's using Mor Ryde. Also alpine uses electric heaters on the holding tanks which might be a concern if dry camping in cold weather. Mine has the full body paint and it is also available on Montana's which is very nice. I don't think that is something offered by many manufacturers at this price point. Also both rated for full time living and sub zero weather.
gnirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:28 PM   #5
West Michigan Traveler

When I was researching them The Alpine seemed to be rated for -14 degrees as opposed to -0 degrees for the Montana, which indicates a better insulation package. It makes very little difference to me and I expect most of us for heat, but makes a huge difference for cooling in the summer time.
West Michigan Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:13 AM   #6
warsw

This is some really good info......Thanks
Old 03-12-2017, 07:40 AM   #7
Barbell

When we were looking in '14, the Keystone dealer in Prescott AZ did not know that Montana and Alpine were made by the same company. Needless to say, we did not do business there.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:31 PM   #8
gnirwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbell View Post
When we were looking in '14, the Keystone dealer in Prescott AZ did not know that Montana and Alpine were made by the same company. Needless to say, we did not do business there.
same thing last year when I went to a small r.v. show in Cleveland. The salesperson hadn't a clue that my Alpine was a Keystone product.
gnirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:18 PM   #9
Alpine

We have bounced our Alpine down the road for approximately 70,000 plus miles! And she is still solid!!! Sure we looked at "all the other brands" as well. Obviously we picked Alpine & have not been sorry. Believe me, I'm always curious about what else is out there and still haven't seen anything that made me look twice! Oh...and we have lived fulltime in it going on four years in May.

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:37 AM   #10
nesparky

May Also want to check out the Avalanche. It's the baby brother to the Alpine. Pretty much the same floor plan just not as many extra goodies.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
nesparky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine, montana