Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2016, 10:21 AM   #21
CaptnJohn

"With your response i WOULD do it just to piss you off!!!! (a bit of temper leads to road rage) I didn't ask if I should or if I can or what if...I just asked for response from tundra owners and if they had one and how it worked out for them. (looking for justification to do something unsafe and illegal) I know payload numbers, and truck capabilities probably better then you do. (you should be a cop or vehicle design engineer) I know what I can do. (too much arrogance and ego to make that statement believable) I would rather drive with a over weight half ton with a knowledgeable driver... (I would rather you get a ticket and told to drop the load until a proper TV is available.")

I've been doing this since the 70s and seen way too many that know or think they know everything about everything. BTW, I'm still learning and appreciate input from all.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:20 PM   #22
Steve S

Hideout17, earlier this year my F350 was in the shop and we were heading to Mexico the following week so we towed with th 016 Tundra.
I'm going to keep this short as I'm sure that you'll jump down my throat anyways.
The Tundra has lots of nuts to pull my trailer and it handled very well to my surprise! As for all of the specs I know that I was pushing it.
I would do it again but I won't as I have a truck that can safely pull my TT.
And for you asking about pulling a 5th wheel I'm just going to say straight out don't do it! No matter how you do the math it doesn't work. The only thing that you have going for you is the power.
Here's my theory on things : No matter what trailer that you'll buy at some point you'll want to upgrade as many of us have and you'll be stuck with a truck that'll barely pull it.
I have an F350 that's overkill for my trailer but I know that when and if I upgrade I'll have the truck to pull it and no worries about dishing out another 40 grand to upgrade it.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:17 PM   #23
Hideout17

Thank you for your responses. That's what I was looking for. The " I did it but didn't like it" that helped me alot. Am I going to do it..no....was I going to so it if opportunity raised maybe...now no......sorry I was an *******.....I was too abrupt in my response....I know what I have now works...I know what it does and what to expect....I feel confident I can safely keep it on the road
Hideout17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:58 PM   #24
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideout17 View Post
Thank you for your responses. That's what I was looking for. The " I did it but didn't like it" that helped me alot. Am I going to do it..no....was I going to so it if opportunity raised maybe...now no......sorry I was an *******.....I was too abrupt in my response....I know what I have now works...I know what it does and what to expect....I feel confident I can safely keep it on the road
Thank you for the level headed response. Your initial response was an emotional one and we understand. Just keep in mind there isn't anyone on this forum that wishes you or any other member harm. We will be honest and sometimes abrupt, but we will provide good feedback. There are many, many years and thousands, maybe millions of miles of combined experience speaking hear. We have heard others say they don't want to hear from the "weight police", but when it comes to towing thousands of pounds safely, the "weight police" is who you should be hearing from.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:48 PM   #25
Hideout17

Point taken
Hideout17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:50 AM   #26
larry337

I won't say whether you should or shouldn't do it I'll just give you my numbers. Payload disappears quickly. My fiver has a listed pin weight of 2000 pounds. The actual loaded weight is 2600 pounds on a Cat scale. My wife, dog, hitch, and cargo added another six hundred pounds. So thats 3300 pounds not counting me. Hope this helps you a little bit.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:14 AM   #27
HammerToe

I haven't read ALL the replies in this thread BUT, in 2008 when I was looking for a fiver TV and did consider a TT as a possible TV, *THE PROBLEM* was with the PIN WEIGHT. Lots (or at least 'enough') 'Tow Power'/more than enough 'straight pull' capacity BUT *way under capacity* on the PW side. Things don't automatically get 'seriously risky' at (say) 10% 'over' (or even 20% over) (truck makers design in very considerable safety margins BUT...) you would? might? be in a 'pickle' if ever weighed/stopped by 'men in uniforms'... Even if 'REALLY not unsafe', the risk of possible damage to the truck - axles, frame, (not breaking, but bending, distorting, etc...)... *I* personally wouldn't risk it.
HammerToe is offline   Reply With Quote