Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
Cougarfamily

Smile New member from New Mexico

Discovered this forum several weeks ago, and finally decided to join.

We have been camping for several years now. We recently traded in our '09 Cougar 26BHS TT last Oct. for a '12 Cougar 328QBS. Hopefully, we will be able to take it on a maiden voyage in early June!

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Cougarfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

to the forum. We're happy to see you join. Having had a Keystone previously and now buying a second Keystone product says something about your previous satisfaction.

We look forward to hearing about your experiences in the old RV as well as the new one.

Again, Welcome

John

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
Ron

from here also, the Cougar is a great trailer, we had one and had no problems what so ever, enjoy and Happy Campin..........
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
curlyfungirl

Welcome aboard!
Superlow Sportster
Heritage Softail Springer
2009-2012 VRI
curlyfungirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
Cougarfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
to the forum. We're happy to see you join. Having had a Keystone previously and now buying a second Keystone product says something about your previous satisfaction.

We look forward to hearing about your experiences in the old RV as well as the new one.

Again, Welcome

John
Thanks for the welcomes.

We had many memorable experiences in the old one the last couple years! Last summer, though, also included a lot of white-knuckle moments driving across Kansas and Wyoming in June and July. I even had the sway control practically locked down all the way, but the crosswinds were horrible all but 2 of the days that we were on the road. The only problems we really had with the camper was that the ac couldn't handle the 119 degrees in Kansas(kept blowing the fuse), and the top 2-3 feet of the front end cap de-laminated last winter while stored in one of those canvas covers.

We have dreamed for several years of owning a new Cougar 5th wheel. Finally were able to pull the trigger last Columbus Day. It has been kinda tuff, because we bought at the end of the season, and knew it was going straight to winter storage. We can't wait til spring!

I did have a suprise with the 5th while we were towing it home from Denver. We hit some bad crosswinds north of Walsenburg, and it had me fighting it as much, or more than the TT had last summer. I know it is longer and taller, but I had been told by several other owners that a 5th handles a lot better in a crosswind. If this true, then those winds must have been really bad. The semis and motor homes passing us didn't seem terribly fazed by it, though.

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Old 01-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
Outbackmel

Fighting sway in wind with 5er

Now, please, let me preface my comments by say'n I was not there so I am reflecting on my experience only. My 36 ft Outback weighs 9600 pounds empty for comparison. My first trip I had the nose too high and no idea of weight distribution. I generally tow with empty tanks. On my return, the dealer told me to adjust my RV nose down with more weight on the hitch. He said the clearance should be 2 closed fists from the top of the truck sidewall. I made that adjusent 2 years ago and never had an issue since.

Last year we towed x the US from GA to AZ and back on US 40. Returning was
HELL. High winds in OK, blinding dust storms in both NM and OK. Sometimes we ran 45 & 50 mph for hours. My Outback tracked true. Never an issue. Was I anxious at times, yes. White knuckled. NEVER.

Someone on this forum will step up who has a similar unit to yours. You will get experienced advice to adjust for optimum tow.

I do know some x winds can be 60+ mph. You are darned sure to feel that!! Don't worry about commercial trucks. Their load and rig dictates how they drive. Besides they are experienced in these winds.

Set your 5er right at pin level and with normal load ypu should experience a GREAT tow. And yes, I previously had a 31 ft TT superslide Hornet, so I have experienced both.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

When I taught avionics at Lowry AFB in Denver, we towed across Kansas regularly. First with a 3/4 ton PU and camper, then with the same truck and an Airstream travel trailer, and then finally with a "flat wall Jayco" travel trailer. With the PU and camper, we seemed to run down the road "almost sideways" at times because of the cross winds, with the Airstream, things were much nicer, but we still knew the trailer was "back there and fighting us" and finally, the real nightmares started with that 20' Jayco. Even with the weight of the truck, a good hitch and sway control, we fought those winds so much that we finally started driving across Kansas at night when the winds were less of a problem.

When we did our "central US" trip this past summer, going across Iowa and Nebraska, we had cross winds forcasted up to 50MPH at times. How strong they actually were, I can't say, but towing our relatively short fifth wheel with a half ton truck was much less problematic than even the Airstream with its heavier truck. Sure we fought the winds, but the rig was stable and the fifth wheel tracked without any significant sway. The only issue we had was driving under bridges or overpasses. When the wind "suddenly wasn't there" we definitely noticed the difference. We never felt the "white knuckle" tension and we had nothing like what you're relating you experienced. As Outbackmel offered, once you get your fifth wheel hitched and adjusted properly and loaded for the road, I'm sure you'll find that it tracks much better than your initial experiences.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:00 AM   #8
crash

Welcome to the forum,Love your picture is that in New Mexico?
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
Cougarfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
Now, please, let me preface my comments by say'n I was not there so I am reflecting on my experience only. My 36 ft Outback weighs 9600 pounds empty for comparison. My first trip I had the nose too high and no idea of weight distribution. I generally tow with empty tanks. On my return, the dealer told me to adjust my RV nose down with more weight on the hitch. He said the clearance should be 2 closed fists from the top of the truck sidewall. I made that adjusent 2 years ago and never had an issue since.

Last year we towed x the US from GA to AZ and back on US 40. Returning was
HELL. High winds in OK, blinding dust storms in both NM and OK. Sometimes we ran 45 & 50 mph for hours. My Outback tracked true. Never an issue. Was I anxious at times, yes. White knuckled. NEVER.

Someone on this forum will step up who has a similar unit to yours. You will get experienced advice to adjust for optimum tow.

I do know some x winds can be 60+ mph. You are darned sure to feel that!! Don't worry about commercial trucks. Their load and rig dictates how they drive. Besides they are experienced in these winds.

Set your 5er right at pin level and with normal load ypu should experience a GREAT tow. And yes, I previously had a 31 ft TT superslide Hornet, so I have experienced both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
When I taught avionics at Lowry AFB in Denver, we towed across Kansas regularly. First with a 3/4 ton PU and camper, then with the same truck and an Airstream travel trailer, and then finally with a "flat wall Jayco" travel trailer. With the PU and camper, we seemed to run down the road "almost sideways" at times because of the cross winds, with the Airstream, things were much nicer, but we still knew the trailer was "back there and fighting us" and finally, the real nightmares started with that 20' Jayco. Even with the weight of the truck, a good hitch and sway control, we fought those winds so much that we finally started driving across Kansas at night when the winds were less of a problem.

When we did our "central US" trip this past summer, going across Iowa and Nebraska, we had cross winds forcasted up to 50MPH at times. How strong they actually were, I can't say, but towing our relatively short fifth wheel with a half ton truck was much less problematic than even the Airstream with its heavier truck. Sure we fought the winds, but the rig was stable and the fifth wheel tracked without any significant sway. The only issue we had was driving under bridges or overpasses. When the wind "suddenly wasn't there" we definitely noticed the difference. We never felt the "white knuckle" tension and we had nothing like what you're relating you experienced. As Outbackmel offered, once you get your fifth wheel hitched and adjusted properly and loaded for the road, I'm sure you'll find that it tracks much better than your initial experiences.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. The 5vr weighs in around 9,150lbs empty. It does make sense that she was empty, and the wind was more apt to have it's way with her. There were crosswinds that day all the way going south from Denver, but they didn't really affect us until we were 30 mins or so north of Walsenburg. Others have told me, that there is something there with the way the mountains to the west channel the wind in that area.

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Old 01-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
Cougarfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Welcome to the forum,Love your picture is that in New Mexico?
It is Lake Powell in northern Arizona and southern Utah. I spent my high school years back in the '80s growing up in Page, Az., which is like 3 miles from Glan Canyon Dam. It is in my blood, and we go back whenever possible. That is where we are plannig to break in the Cougar in June.

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch