Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2016, 07:54 PM   #1
team222

Propane heat and stove issues

2010 3750FL: Bought in 2013....no issues with heat, stove or water heater for three years....until now!

SIDEBAR: 3 days ago
Heat and stove would ignite then go out. Tanks were full/near full. Repair guy came over and it turned out to be a spider and/or web in the tube tube where ignition takes place. Everything worked fine for three days until now.

NOW: Tanks still full/near full
1. Propane heat will not ignite. Startup sequence runs through per normal, but no ignition.

Stove flowed a little propane ....would light burners for a couple of seconds ...then go out and no ignition at all now.

The water heater still has very hot water ...maybe it switched over to electric or maybe it was staying hot after propane stopped.

2. I doubted the full or near full tanks would not flow propane somehow....so to test this I disconnected them and away from the unit slowly turned the knob to see if propane was flowing....of course it was.

>>>>>>

Soooo....both bottles flowing propane when not connected ......but indicator on regulator indicator stays red when connected for both tanks when knob is turned toward each tank.

Maybe spiders back?

>>>>>>

Any help will be greatly appreciated and sorry I am not able to state this better.

Mike
team222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:09 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Propane should NOT flow from the bottles if there isn't a line hooked up. I think the problem is with the cylinders.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:09 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

I do not know of any hot water heaters that will switch themselves on electric. They all have a switch near the water tank outside the unit that must be turned on/off to be powered by electric heat. Maybe it was already on. But, find that switch. It must be off without water in tank.
A simple answer about the propane. Sound like your not getting propane from the tanks. The tanks must be connected completely thru the threads. I have not seated them all the way before and thinking they were. Until turning them on and I found no propane coming out. Also you must turn them on slowly if not the OPD? valve shuts off propane. I would put them back on the bracket. Connect the regulator. Make sure connected correctly. turn on slowly. Try a couple of time if not working.
Than IF you have propane and they are connected right, turned on correctly and still no propane. Maybe the regulator failed. You can go buy a new one and try that. I think before that you might want it checked out by a shop.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:37 AM   #4
rjsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Propane should NOT flow from the bottles if there isn't a line hooked up. I think the problem is with the cylinders.
+1

There is one problem right there, no gas should escape without pigtail connector attached.

Sure sounds like the main regulator is not working though.....

Ron W
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:35 AM   #5
MadMax

As Ken/Claudia mentioned, TURN ON THE PROPANE TANKS VERY SLOWLY. This is very important. Believe me - it took me many frustrated hours to finally absorb this key procedure. Solved all my propane problems.

Don, Pearl, Zack, Magic & Brodie
2008 Cougar 289BHS (33' 5er)
2002 GMC Sierra CC 4WD, Diesel
Hijacker - Slider hitch

Previous RV's
Tent, Hard-top Tent Trailer, Chinook 10.5' Camper, 13' Citation TT, 1976 Diplomat Motor Home
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:03 PM   #6
eds451

MadMax makes a good point. The safety valve in the tanks will trip if you open too quickly. Also I have had TWO regulators fail on me. Installed manual valves.

Central Calif.
2010 Dodge 2500HD, 5.7 hemi
2007 Cougar 244rls
eds451 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, heat