Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2019, 04:46 PM   #21
Kylemcmahon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
One aspect is overloading the truck. Another one, and just as important, is overloading the Andersen hitch. It has a maximum weight bearing capacity of 1400 lbs. at the ball/hitch. In the OPs situation he could exceed that so, if that were the case, it's very possible it would NOT work out very well for him.

Do not take it personally. I was not saying what you were saying was wrong. I was simply stating my experience with the hitch and how well it works. Aside from the fact that he could overload it. We do not have enough information to make that determination.
Kylemcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:02 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Nothing taken personally - I just wanted to be sure the OP understood that overloading the "truck" was but one issue. IMO overloading the hitch could easily be the more dangerous problem in the scheme of things and didn't want that lost - especially since I believe there are other, more suitable, options for that much weight. And, we do not know the weights at this point but I always believe to err on the side of caution if those types of things are unknown.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:35 PM   #23
CAMPNDAD

I’m greatly thankful

So...with so much info I’ve gotten off from work and headed straight to the dealership for some question and answers! My TV payload is 12500. My campers true Gross weight is 10K.

Wow I’ve had so much false information fed to me it was rediculous!!!!!! I’ve learned more in one day of being on this forum than the last 3 weeks of dealing with all this.

Thank you all so much. I think I feel a little more comfortable now.
CAMPNDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:57 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Great! I'm thinking when you say your TV max payload is 12,500 you are referring to the max towing capacity...which is what the specs say. Payload will come from the sticker you can't read and is generally the limiting factor for a 3/4 ton diesel truck and specific to the vehicle.

If the gvw of the camper is 10k, and you load heavy, as most, your tongue weight will run in the realm of 1000-1200 lbs. so the Andersen would work. I like the Equalizer over the Andersen because they are more robust but that is just an opinion.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:51 PM   #25
jd800

I like the ease of working with the Anderson wdh, convenience of storage, the weight difference of the assembly and the performance of my Anderson wdh. Like everything in life there are choices, what works some may not for others. Good luck on your decision.

Joe
238ml
2018 Ram 1500
5.7 hemi
jd800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:35 PM   #26
Jackitup

Hi there I use the Anderson it works well for me no issues very quiet and light I would recommend it.

Kevin
2017 F150 5.0L 4x4 XLT
4 point Equalizer
2016 bullet 274bhs
Jackitup is offline   Reply With Quote